smb vs upnp vs DLNA
I know back in xbmc days smb 1.0 would stop working but now I set up through windows 10 and a android box and smb works fine and stable. I am wondering thougbh if upnp or dlna runs better in benchmarks I know based on my experiments loading upnp was faster but i don't like how it organizes the files I just want the raw folders that why I like smb better. I also had unverial media server and now I cant see it in kodi at all but smb fine. Just curious on benchmarks and best programs for raw folders for upnp or dlna.
(2022-10-03, 21:58)spiderman1234 Wrote: I know back in xbmc days smb 1.0 would stop working but now I set up through windows 10 and a android box and smb works fine and stable. I am wondering thougbh if upnp or dlna runs better in benchmarks I know based on my experiments loading upnp was faster but i don't like how it organizes the files I just want the raw folders that why I like smb better. I also had unverial media server and now I cant see it in kodi at all but smb fine. Just curious on benchmarks and best programs for raw folders for upnp or dlna.

I am very partial to uPNP/DLNA running with Kodi as a client.  You can see more at the Wiki page I maintain for the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  With it you can choose your operating mode GUI mode, native mode (i.e. native Kodi skin) or run both simultaneously..  There are some things which you might like in native Kodi and there are some things which Mezzmo can do that Kodi can't easily.  Performance isn't an issue and with Mezzmo you have a ton of flexibility on how you organize your library including raw folders and virtual folders to make expansion easier.  I find the combination of Kodi as clients and Mezzmo as a server the best of both worlds. My goals with the addon are to make as many operations as possible automatic, reduce the addon sprawl for so many simple things, improve stability, improve flexibility and give you time back to enjoy watching your library.  

Here's a link to my setup and a link to the addon support thread..

Happy to answer questions,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
i find the performance of dlna quite good, albeit with some quirks.
minidlna works great as a lightweight media server, though some filetypes dont get recognized (.iso for example)
up until now was using nfs, as smb performance was awful, too slow to stream large files.
both exhibited audio "stuttering issues" especially when advancing audio tracks.
switching to dlna has all but eliminated these audio glitches.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
smb vs upnp vs DLNA0