Shield 2019 Pro -> Apple TV 4K good idea ?
Hello,
I have been using Shields (I have both 2019 Pro and 2019 Tube) for some time now. After last Nvidia 9.1 patch, hdmi-cec started to cause problems.
Another issue I have with Kodi 19.4 - from time to time, when I start video, it completely "eats" all Shield resources or what, playback is paused and there is no or very delayed (like 20 seconds) response to remote control (no backlit as well).
I have to disconnect power cable from Shield to solve it. Basically, my experience with Shield is quite bad recently, factory reset didn't help.
So I am thinking to switch to Apple TV 4K. I understand there are other cheaper options just for Kodi, but I use also other apps, like F1 TV Pro, Youtube, Youtube Music, Twitch, Netflix, Disney+... and I want all in one solution (Kodi + apps).
It seems all of those apps I use are on tvOS, so only question left is Kodi. I understand, that ATV 4K can't do HD audio passthrough, but frankly, I don't remember last time I watched any content with HD audio.
Also there are other options, like Chromecast, but those devices don't have auto frame rate switching in Kodi, which is big no for me.

Could anyone share experience using Kodi on ATV 4K ?
1. How is installation ? Do you need mac ? I don't have any other Apple product.
2. Can you use addons (I use opensubtitles addon a lot) ?
3. How is Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, HDR10 playback ?
4. What about auto frame rate switching, is it working ?
5. Is always newest version (19.4 currently) available ?
6. I don't mind paying developer account every year, if everything (except HD audio of course) work properly.
7. Any issues I should know about if I decide to switch ? 

Thanks a lot.
Could anyone share experience using Kodi on ATV 4K ?
1. How is installation ? Do you need mac ? I don't have any other Apple product.

You have to have a Mac with Xcode for the ATV 4K version as it doesn't have a USB port.  It's not trivial to install and you need a developer account to make it practical without re-signing every week.

2. Can you use addons (I use opensubtitles addon a lot) ?

Some addons work, some don't.  I believe opensubtitles works. 

3. How is Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, HDR10 playback ?

Not supported

4. What about auto frame rate switching, is it working ?

Not sure, it seems to work but display is always 4K (at least for my LG TV), not native resolution.

5. Is always newest version (19.4 currently) available ?

Yes

6. I don't mind paying developer account every year, if everything (except HD audio of course) work properly.
7. Any issues I should know about if I decide to switch ? 

You are much better off sticking with the Shield and trying to resolve your issues as everything works properly on that device.
Well, I guess you are right, I have been happy user of two 2019 Shields for quite a long time, it just seems latest patch 9.1 introduced 2 issues for me and factory reset didn't help.

1. HDMI-CEC not properly working during turning on or off. I have Shield -> Denon X4700 -> LG OLED and use only Shield remote to control it. 
Sometimes, when I turn it ON, AVR and TV wake up, but there is "no signal" message on TV. I have to turn it OFF and then ON again and then it's OK.
Similar happens when turning it OFF - no signal message. I have to turn shield back ON and then OFF right away and then it works properly.
It happens completely randomly, I would say 20% of time.

2. Second problem is when I start movie (any format, any source), there is no sound from the beginning and screen freezes after few seconds. Remote stops working, buttons backlit doesn't work. I don't think it's completely frozen, more like huge delay to button press (like 30 seconds).
Only help is hard reset (unplug power cable from Shield). It happens randomly, about 1 out of 10 movies.
I don't understand why someone would want a device you have to pay 100$ a year to use a app. If you happened to be a developer as a day job that would be one thing. But to actively pay for the use of kodi to someone who doesn't contribute for kodi seems unfair. Enough to make me want to chuck it.

odroid n2+ runs really well with corelec for me. CEC works well. I can't keep the odroid awake with the tv off if cec is enabled. Only problem I have with it. Would be nice to use it for a nas while it's not doing anything. I do the apps through other means. The android experience wasn't great.

You could always try another android device if you really want the all in one solution.
(2022-10-10, 15:43)calev Wrote: You could always try another android device if you really want the all in one solution.

If you live in Europe - there isn't much point going down the Android route - there is no really good, reliable platform that properly handles 24/25/30/50/60 fps content from DRM-ed apps properly. The Shield TV requires an OS kludge workaround that some apps don't like (you press a button once the video starts playing and the OS tries to work out the frame rate and then switches the output to that format) if the app itself doesn't support the frame rate switching API (Kodi is one of the few that does)

I'm constantly switching between 24/25/50 fps stuff all the time in Netflix, Prime, BBC iPlayer, All 4 etc.

For European DRM viewers who don't use built in Smart TV apps (Sony sets are terrible IME - and usually stick to 60Hz display for Android - only using 50Hz for HbbTV stuff) then the Apple TV 4K is the best platform for properly supporting 24/25/30/50/60 fps content with frame rate and HDR/SDR switching and Dolby Vision + Atmos (DD not True HD) support.  It's not a great solution for Kodi - but if you are looking for DRM platform support - it's tricky to beat if you want your streamed video to played correctly.
(2022-10-10, 16:39)noggin Wrote:
(2022-10-10, 15:43)calev Wrote: You could always try another android device if you really want the all in one solution.

If you live in Europe - there isn't much point going down the Android route - there is no really good, reliable platform that properly handles 24/25/30/50/60 fps content from DRM-ed apps properly. The Shield TV requires an OS kludge workaround that some apps don't like (you press a button once the video starts playing and the OS tries to work out the frame rate and then switches the output to that format) if the app itself doesn't support the frame rate switching API (Kodi is one of the few that does)

I'm constantly switching between 24/25/50 fps stuff all the time in Netflix, Prime, BBC iPlayer, All 4 etc.

For European DRM viewers who don't use built in Smart TV apps (Sony sets are terrible IME - and usually stick to 60Hz display for Android - only using 50Hz for HbbTV stuff) then the Apple TV 4K is the best platform for properly supporting 24/25/30/50/60 fps content with frame rate and HDR/SDR switching and Dolby Vision + Atmos (DD not True HD) support.  It's not a great solution for Kodi - but if you are looking for DRM platform support - it's tricky to beat if you want your streamed video to played correctly.
You stress the "Europe" thing. What's the difference? I don't get it.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2022-10-11, 14:33)ashlar Wrote:

In the States most content is 29 fps so 30 Hz and 60 Hz both refresh rates both look good. In the UK they use some odd framerates like 24/25/50. At 30hz you will notice the occasional glitchy frame. at 60hz it's much less noticeable but some people do notice.  

You generally want your player and tv to change it's refresh rate to match the video. He is saying the atv does this well but android boxes not so much.
(2022-10-11, 16:22)calev Wrote:
(2022-10-10, 16:39)noggin Wrote: If you live in Europe - there isn't much point going down the Android route - there is no really good, reliable platform that properly handles 24/25/30/50/60 fps content from DRM-ed apps properly. The Shield TV requires an OS kludge workaround that some apps don't like (you press a button once the video starts playing and the OS tries to work out the frame rate and then switches the output to that format) if the app itself doesn't support the frame rate switching API (Kodi is one of the few that does)

In the States most content is 29 fps so 30 Hz and 60 Hz both refresh rates both look good. In the UK they use some odd framerates like 24/25/50. At 30hz you will notice the occasional glitchy frame. at 60hz it's much less noticeable but some people do notice.  

You generally want your player and tv to change it's refresh rate to match the video. He is saying the atv does this well but android boxes not so much.

Not quite.

The US uses 24p (*) extensively too - most Prime and Netflix US shows are 24p, as are movies. In fact very little on Netflix or Prime is 30/60fps. HOWEVER 24fps stuff output at 3:2 is how most people watch TV shows and Movies on TV in the US - and so 3:2 pulldown is almost notched out by US audiences - and many TVs will detect it and remove the 3:2.  (Yes - some European shows on Prime and Netflix ARE 25fps - but many US HDTVs can't accept 25/50fps inputs - so there is less use in a player that can output 25fps/50fps natively in North America)

However two things are different in Europe.

1. We use 25fps and 50fps for TV - including European TV shows on Prime and Netflix etc.  This looks absolutely terrible if output at 60fps.  Really nasty.
2. Our HDTVs pretty much universally support 24/25/30/50/60fps inputs natively (There's an 'HDTV' licensing scheme that mandated 50/60Hz compatibility, meaning you couldn't sell a 50Hz-only HDTV and label it with the European 'HDTV' logo - and 24fp has kind of become pretty universal too)

The big reason it's important is 1. though. Whilst US audiences are kind of used to watching their content at a fixed 59.94Hz - European audiences need to watch some stuff at 50Hz for it not to look terrible (and our TVs all cope with multiple formats)

(*) Well 23.976fps, 29.97fps and 59.94fps are the widespread actual frame rates and/or refresh rates - though there are some 24.000fps transfers kicking around, at least in Europe)

25/50Hz is the European production format for TV shows, and our TVs cope with both 50Hz and 60Hz (and usually also 24Hz) inputs. Watching 25/50Hz European TV shows at 60Hz is really, really nasty.  (We're also not used to 3:2 - the way 24fps content is displayed at 60Hz - so many of us find that really difficult to watch too - whereas mass US audiences are used to it and don't really notice it in the same way)
(2022-10-11, 17:37)noggin Wrote:
(2022-10-10, 16:39)noggin Wrote: If you live in Europe - there isn't much point going down the Android route - there is no really good, reliable platform that properly handles 24/25/30/50/60 fps content from DRM-ed apps properly. The Shield TV requires an OS kludge workaround that some apps don't like (you press a button once the video starts playing and the OS tries to work out the frame rate and then switches the output to that format) if the app itself doesn't support the frame rate switching API (Kodi is one of the few that does)

25/50Hz is the European production format for TV shows, and our TVs cope with both 50Hz and 60Hz (and usually also 24Hz) inputs. Watching 25/50Hz European TV shows at 60Hz is really, really nasty.  (We're also not used to 3:2 - the way 24fps content is displayed at 60Hz - so many of us find that really difficult to watch too - whereas mass US audiences are used to it and don't really notice it in the same way)
Yeah, sorry... I did not think about that. I live in Europe too. Framerate for TVs has pretty much been solved. The problem lies with devices supporting the different refresh rates and how they choose to apply them. Thanks for clarifying (to the both of you).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I ditched my Shield Pro and moved to Apple TV some time ago. Love it. Better PQ and no framerate issues - framerate hassles was the reason I moved to Apple TV in the first place, way better that the Shield.  I found the Shield very frustrating compared to the Apple. Apple just works but has its own issues, lack of HD audio being the biggest but its minor in comparison with jerky playback.

You can use Infuse which is a Kodi-like app for about £8 a year, it does DV and HDR that the official  ios version of Kodi cannot do. The user-interface takes a bit of getting used to though, it's different and less flexible, way less, as in none, add-on options but in other ways less is more.......try it out and see.

You can also run the official version of Kodi for $25 a year very easily.  Not sure if I can do a direct link but if you do a search for '$25 Kodi for Apple' you should find the relevant site.  It's really easy, safe and efficient. No Xcode or Mac required.  Works perfectly. Gets regularly updated with latest builds. As above, no HDR or DV though as you are running official Kodi - a major omission IMHO.

Everything will work as normal for you if you go the $25 Kodi route. A heads up, the website looks a bit grim. It's functional rather than modern, more 1990's lol, don't let that put you off.

I don't have an Atmos setup but the Apple does do Atmos, i've seen the input display on my AVR. Can't recall if I've seen it on Infuse or Kodi as I don't really pay attention to the audio much, 5.1 is enough for me.  I cancelled Kodi a week or two ago due to the lack of DV/HDR so can't check it out now but can have a look at Infuse if you want. Netflix definitely has Atmos for sure.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Edit - there's a cheaper Apple TV box coming out later this year supposedly, might be worth hanging on and seeing if it has any better specifications than the current model........as in maybe HD audio!?
(2022-10-12, 11:40)ashlar Wrote:
(2022-10-11, 17:37)noggin Wrote:
(2022-10-11, 14:33)ashlar Wrote: You stress the "Europe" thing. What's the difference? I don't get it.

Yeah, sorry... I did not think about that. I live in Europe too. Framerate for TVs has pretty much been solved. The problem lies with devices supporting the different refresh rates and how they choose to apply them. Thanks for clarifying (to the both of you).
Yep - but 'Framerate for TVs has pretty much been solved' applies in Europe - but not North America. A lot of mainstream TVs from the big manufacturers sold in North America won't accept 25/50Hz HDMI inputs - only 24/30/60Hz...  Most European HD TVs will accept 24/25/30/50/60Hz (*)

(*) and the 1000/1001 variants.

I work in TV production as my day job, and have made live shows in 50Hz in North America, and finding a 50Hz-compatible in-vision TV for use on-set has often been challenging.  No-name Chinese brands are far more likely to be 50Hz compatible than Sony, Panasonic etc.
(2022-10-14, 14:58)noggin Wrote:
(2022-10-12, 11:40)ashlar Wrote:
(2022-10-11, 17:37)noggin Wrote: 25/50Hz is the European production format for TV shows, and our TVs cope with both 50Hz and 60Hz (and usually also 24Hz) inputs. Watching 25/50Hz European TV shows at 60Hz is really, really nasty.  (We're also not used to 3:2 - the way 24fps content is displayed at 60Hz - so many of us find that really difficult to watch too - whereas mass US audiences are used to it and don't really notice it in the same way)
Yep - but 'Framerate for TVs has pretty much been solved' applies in Europe - but not North America. A lot of mainstream TVs from the big manufacturers sold in North America won't accept 25/50Hz HDMI inputs - only 24/30/60Hz...  Most European HD TVs will accept 24/25/30/50/60Hz (*)

(*) and the 1000/1001 variants.

I work in TV production as my day job, and have made live shows in 50Hz in North America, and finding a 50Hz-compatible in-vision TV for use on-set has often been challenging.  No-name Chinese brands are far more likely to be 50Hz compatible than Sony, Panasonic etc.
I think that's pretty inexcusable behavior from TV manufacturers. Having 25/50 support when they offer it in Europe for the same models probably would not even add to their costs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shield 2019 Pro -> Apple TV 4K good idea ?0