tvOS 16.0 and Kodi not working
So I got a new Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen and it updated itself to tvOS 16 before I could turn on auto updates (I thought I did but never mind).
I've managed to side load Kodi over to the Apple TV ok, but upon trying to run it I get the following error:

"Kodi" Needs To Be Updated
  The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of tvOS.
  Delete
  Keep
So far I have tried the following builds:
- 19.4 stable
- kodi-20221003-f08a6ae5-master-11731-tvos.deb

I'm currently downloading the following to try, but speed is very slow:
- kodi-20221005-6a9ff760-master-11773-tvos.deb (version 20 nightly build)
- kodi-20221002-286694e9-Matrix-tvos.deb (version 19 nightly build)

I'll report back when I've tested the current two I'm downloading.
Update:
Still not working. Tried the other two nightly builds but with the same result. Using Sideloadly to copy the .ipa across.

Any tips, suggestions, help, etc.. appreciated.
strange, v19 and v20 work fine on my atv4 (not 4k) running tvOS 16...
I have a suspicion based on a similar issue we had a year ago https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363016

could you try signing with something other than Sideloadly?
(2022-10-05, 17:23)kambala Wrote: strange, v19 and v20 work fine on my atv4 (not 4k) running tvOS 16...

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully others will chime in with their ATV model and tvOS version and whether it is working for them.

If I may, how did you sideload Kodi over? Maybe their is something at my end that doesn’t quite copy the .ipa over correctly (just enough that it copies over but not enough that it runs).
(2022-10-05, 17:44)kambala Wrote: I have a suspicion based on a similar issue we had a year ago https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363016

could you try signing with something other than Sideloadly?
Thanks for this. Been reading through that thread and could be an issue with Xcode and Mac OS I am using. I’ll try installing a clean install of the latest Mac OS on an external ssd and boot off that, along with the latest version of Xcode and see if I still have any troubles.

Might take a day or two, but I’ll post back and let you know the results.
(2022-10-05, 18:03)growl Wrote: If I may, how did you sideload Kodi over?

I always use https://dantheman827.github.io/ios-app-signer/

FYI I'm on macOS 12.6
Thanks for all the help. I finally got it working. Installing latest Xcode 14.0.1 on a clean install of Mac OS 12.6 (Monterey) worked. 

In future I might look at something that signs the .ipa for more than 7 days.
(2022-10-06, 00:48)growl Wrote: Thanks for all the help. I finally got it working. Installing latest Xcode 14.0.1 on a clean install of Mac OS 12.6 (Monterey) worked. 

and which macOS did you have before? Something before 11 I guess? If yes, then it explains it: modern iOS/tvOS versions require additional flag to be passed to codesign command invocation, on macOS 11 and later this flag is added implicitly.
(2022-10-06, 09:26)kambala Wrote:
(2022-10-06, 00:48)growl Wrote: Thanks for all the help. I finally got it working. Installing latest Xcode 14.0.1 on a clean install of Mac OS 12.6 (Monterey) worked. 

and which macOS did you have before? Something before 11 I guess? If yes, then it explains it: modern iOS/tvOS versions require additional flag to be passed to codesign command invocation, on macOS 11 and later this flag is added implicitly.
Actually it was the latest version of Big Sur (11.7 I think) and it would have worked if my Apple TV was still on version 15. But anyways I’m glad it is all working now. I had a small issue with Xcode and the Apple TV in which I had to repair the device to copy the signed .ipa file across (something about the ATV being locked when it wasn’t).

I did discover an easier way of copying the signed .ipa file over, was by using a program called iMazing (basically similar to iFunbox).

So for resigning in future, setup Xcode (only need to do it once, which I’ve down - otherwise iOS app signer won’t work) and then use iOS app signer to sign the app and copy it over with iMazing. 

Again, thanks to everyone. Without your help, I wouldn’t have solved the issue as quickly and probably would still be stuck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
16.0 and Kodi not working0