Parental control
Hi,

as my sons are getting into an age, where they know how to "use" a remote control, I'm feeling the need to block certain content.

After reading the wiki/forums and searching the web, I'm still a bit lost.

There seem to be four possibilities:

a) Master lock: block all access to movies/tv shows unless correct pin/password is used. With Estuary/Matrix this is not working (?), direct access from the menu to (e.g.) recently viewed movies is still possible.

b) Profiles, restrict access to media sources. For this it would be necessary to order movies/tv shows according to their rating (FSK here in Germany). With a lot of files this can get a bit tedious. Is there a way to extract/export the rating from the database, so I can then efficiently move the movie files into individual folders on the NAS?
After setting up the file structure, this looks to me like the most future-proof option.

c) Smart playlist. After a bit of reading I still do not understand how to use smart playlist to _block_ access to say movies with violence etc.

d) Creation of custom nodes for the menu(s). This is beyond my comprehension. Comments? Links to more information?

Thanks,
Oliver
I would also like to know this. Is there a way that would restrict access to movies in library based on their age certification?
Not sure how to do it through Kodi, but can be relatively easy to do in Windows by using a separate user account and having the movies stored in folders based on age ratings.
(2022-10-09, 21:44)bedford Wrote: Is there a way to extract/export the rating from the database, so I can then efficiently move the movie files into individual folders on the NAS?
In case anyone still needs it here's how you can extract a list of file paths of movies based on their rating. You need to adjust database filename to your Kodi version and rating names to your scraper configuration.
sh:
sqlite3 ~/.kodi/userdata/Database/MyVideos116.db "SELECT c22 AS path FROM movie_view WHERE c12 in ('Rated R', 'Rated NC-17');"
To get a list of all movie titles along with their certification
sh:
sqlite3 ~/.kodi/userdata/Database/MyVideos116.db "SELECT c00 AS title, c12 AS certification FROM movie_view;"
(2023-01-17, 02:53)starling Wrote: I would also like to know this. Is there a way that would restrict access to movies in library based on their age certification?
Hi,
sorry for replying so late - I didn't follow the thread anymore.

I think I've managed to get the control I need through the use of separate profiles: one for adults/master and one for the kids. I'm not 100% sure, because I don't use the kids profile regularly.

First I had to rearrange my video files according to the rating (FSK <age> here in Germany), so one folder for "Movies/FSK 0", one for "Movies/FSK 6", one for "TV Shows/FSK 0" etc.

Then I created the two profiles. For the Kids profile I've set "Media info" to "Shares with default (read-only)", "media sources" to "Separate (Locked)".

Now I don't see any adult videos in the kids profile (Addons and Music are unaffected).

But I must admit, that going through the configuration was a pain. The scope of the settings is not clear to the user, so I accidentally deleted database content of the adult profile. Additionally I got duplicate entries (in english, my preferred language is german, though) during scraping, so I had to remove the media source, clean the database and add the source again. No idea why this happened.

Regards,
Oliver

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parental control0