Win HTPC components for Kodi 19.4 with 4k, HDR and HD-Audio
Hello here,
     I have to admit that I was doing about the same research as you for about week and today i hit on your article. My needs are pretty much the same.
     I like to ask you few questions since I am considering about exactly the same setup.

-what was the reason that you have selected Intel over AMD? i5-12600 vs Ryzen 3 5600G/5700G. Same price in my country.
-any conclusion why DV sometimes works and sometimes not?
-Do you go directly from PC -> AV -> TV ? I am bit of afrraid of this setup in order to minimaze compatibility issue i was thinking of 2xHDMIs one for Audio and one for Video. (I own Yamaha RX-V6A).

I would be very happy if you spent few minutes to reply back to me.
Dear Balroq,
sorry for the late reply! Did not log into this forum for a while. In general i am pretty happy with my setup as described in post #13. Only the Transcend 220S 1 TB SSD (used for the OS and applications) broke down after one year of use. Luckily i got replacement from Alternate for free.

Regarding your questions:

I am no Intel or AMD Fanboy. I selected Intel because the Intel Core i5-12600 with his integrated UHD Graphic Chip in combination with the Asus MB and its onboard HD Audio allowed me to output UHD Video + HD Audio through one single HDMI cable.
Splitting Video and Audio into 2 individual HDMI Connections is another possible approach. But i would assume that: The more different components and signal ways are involved, the higher the risk of Audio not being sync to the Video. This can be a pain in the backside especially when different media/formats played back over the same chain result in different delays.

DV is still a topic, sometimes it works, sometimes not (then DV material is pisplayed with a pinkish-greenish picture). I finally gave up reseaching this topic because the pure amount of different articles, opinions and suggestion that you can find on the www is simply too much for my limited brain capacity;-) My final workaroud: If something does not work on the HTPC i simply use the Zidoo UHD3000 for playback. This works well in 99%.

My Media is stored on different NAS Drives. From there the Playback Chain is HTPC->AVR->TV/Beamer. I have not tried out individual Audio/Video HDMI Connections.

I hope this helps, just let me know if you have any other questions. And merry Christmas btw.!
Kodi 20.2 (for Windows) on Win11 HTPC
ZDMC 20.2 on Zidoo UHD3000
(2023-12-24, 11:55)Reelyator Wrote: DV is still a topic, sometimes it works, sometimes not (then DV material is pisplayed with a pinkish-greenish picture).

If your DV has pink/green picture then that's a DolbyVision native ICtCp(ish) instead of YCbCr/YUV encode. UHD Blu-rays with DV use YCbCr/YUV HDR10/10+ cores with DV metadata (and in some cases an expansion layer) which means the content is backwards compatible with HDR10/HDR10+ displays as well. Streaming platforms often use a DV native encode that will only play on DV hardware - and this will have the pink/green colour.
Im sure I was told that there is no windows based Dolby vision and the only way to play it is to use nvidia shield.
Dear @meridius and @noggin,
thank you for your feedback! But this is exactly what i ment when i wrote "I finally gave up reseaching this topic because the pure amount of different articles, opinions and suggestion that you can find on the www is simply too much for my limited brain capacity;-)".
Kodi 20.2 (for Windows) on Win11 HTPC
ZDMC 20.2 on Zidoo UHD3000

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC components for Kodi 19.4 with 4k, HDR and HD-Audio0