Moving to 4K - RPi4 or commercial box?
Hi.

I've been using Kodi since it was XBMC on the original Xbox. I'm running a Raspberry Pi 3 at the moment but now I have a 4K TV, I want to upgrade my Kodi setup to match.

I could get a Pi4 and continue on this Raspberry theme or get one of the commercial boxes out there. I've never really used Kodi to its full potential, or anything like it. I've never set up a PVR etc and have only ever used it to watch streamed content from various sources.

If I want to move to 4K and have all the bells and whistles of a PVR and the various plugins etc, what would be your recommended upgrade path please?
(2022-10-31, 13:46)aneng Wrote: or get one of the commercial boxes out there.

Kodi itself is free software. So you can install on a bunch of different hardware. When people mention "commercial boxes", our inner voices start saying "fully-loaded boxes". Which is a choice you can make for yourself, just know that you won't be getting any further support from this forum as such boxes usually contain the less legal type of add-ons when it comes to streaming.

A RPi4 device is quite versatile with Kodi upto a certain point. AFAIK, the RPi4 devices are still difficult to come by. Perhaps supply has been improved, but it can vary worldwide. And of course it also depends on what you want out of your next Kodi device in terms of video, audio, or otherwise.
The Vero 4K+ is probably the best supported Kodi devices available today.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Thread moved to hardware - that's the best place for such discussions.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving to 4K - RPi4 or commercial box?0