HBO Max
I subscribe to HBO Max. Is it illegal to install the HBO Max app on Kodi. I live in the United States. I do not want it install any apps that are illegal to use.
I'm going to preface this by saying that I am not speaking for Team Kodi, just myself.  It appears the HBOMax addon is made by the same person who does a bunch of other streaming service addons (Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+, etc) that are in pretty constant use on Kodi and have forum threads here (including the HBOMAx one).  Things that are banned aren't allowed to have forum threads.  All of the addons I mentioned (including the HBOMAx one) require you to have a valid account for the service, so this one isn't any different than any of those.
Thank you, just wanted to make sure.  Don't want to install any "pirating" apps.  I have my Kodi box connected an input of my Smart TV, so I can watch 4k videos on HBO Max using the built-in HBO Max app.  I just have to switch the TV's input. 

Most of my media consumption is my own media, so I prefer to do everything right from my Kodi box.  Also, I really don't see any differences in 1080p vs 4k, but that is just me.
Also, I verified that I was using a "real" HBO Max addon by, checking the progress from the Kodi addon and the native app running on my Smart TV.  They keep in sync.  I would be concerned if that was not the case.
@clarkss12 we have a very clear stance when it comes to addons that facilitate access pirated content. You can find information in the links such as Forum Rules and Banned Add-ons (wiki) for clarification.

As pkscout has indicated, any addons being discussed openly on this forum will not fall into this category and as the HBO Max addon, use official sources and / or require the user to have an official account with the service to access the content.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
There are basically 3 categories here:
  • Official app/addon - provided by the media provider themselves, and use/require paid-for credentials to access the services.
  • Unofficial app/addon - not provided by the media provider, but still use/require paid-for credentials.
  • Piracy app/addon - make the media available to anyone without requirement for paid-for credentials (either for free, or by paying a different fee to the provider of the app/addon

The first one are what you tend to get from the main app stores etc, and also occasionally as Kodi addons too (Plex for example).
The second one is what most of the Kodi addons are.
The latter ones are what end up on the banned addons (wiki) list and are not welcome here.

We would love to have more of the first category on Kodi.

As the unofficial apps still use/require credentials, the providers are still getting their money, and so most often they turn a blind eye to them. There are occasions when cease-and-desist orders do get sent out, most commonly when the app/addon does do something which pisses off the provider such as removing ads or disabling user tracking. Some providers just like to also maintain a strict control of how their content is served up, which can also lead to C&D orders to app/addon creators.

Generally though the unofficial addons are not illegal as you're still paying the legitimate content owner for their material.
It can get to be something of a grey area though, especially for IPTV providers as it can sometimes happen that they are providing stuff that they have no legal right to serve, but will still charge their customers for that supply.

Generally though common sense should apply - if someone is offering something for a couple of dollars a month that you should be paying 10-20x that for, be wary. If the deal seems too good to be true, often that's for the simple reason that it is...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HBO Max0