I Just Want To Play Files!
Hello,

I am new here and to Kodi. I have just purchaseed an Nvidia Shield after reading many positive reviews, and really needed to replace my 13 year old Popcorn Hour A110 streamer, which has been providing me solid service all that time.

However, as powerful as kodi is, I cannot seem to do the simplest thing. I am sure it's my lack of knowledge, and so I hope someone can help.

All I want to do is to point the Kodi app at my NAS (Know how to do that, more or less) and simply browse the media I have arranged in folders, cursor to the one I want and hit enter and have it play, that's it. No libraries, scraping and all that fluff, please.

Can I do this, someone please say I can, otherwise it's likely back to the Popcorn.

Thanks.
(2022-11-24, 00:40)raotor Wrote: All I want to do is to point the Kodi app at my NAS (Know how to do that, more or less) and simply browse the media I have arranged in folders,
If you don't want scraping and libraries, then Kodi simply becomes a dumb file browser. Don't expect bells and whistles when using this mode.

To access your video files, you will need to enter via the Videos menu item and set up Sources. (you still need to point Kodi to where your media is)
See Adding Sources on this page.... https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

If you change to another skin, you will be able to modify the main menu to point directly at your Sources, which should do away with a couple of navigating clicks.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Tongue 
Yes, no bells or whistles, that's exactyly what I'm looking for Smile Can you suggest suchj a skin I can use to bypass some of the steps mentioned.
(2022-11-24, 10:40)raotor Wrote: Can you suggest suchj a skin I can use to bypass some of the steps mentioned.
Pretty much all skins allow editing the main menu. Just not the default skin Estuary or Confluence.
Test them out by installing from Settings>Interface>Skin>Skin then select Get More.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Interface/Skin
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I Just Want To Play Files!0