Multiple values in one music field
On wiki about music tagging there is mention about support of multiple values in single property and that default separator is /
But after tagging in picard file with multiple genres in kodi it is visible as single string without splitting
Any suggestions how to make it work?
I believe that separator in the genre field is supposed to be " / ", not "/". Notice the space before and after. If you want to use the / without the spaces, you need to make a change in your Advancedsettings.xml.

<musiclibrary>
        <itemseparator>/</itemseparator>
  </musiclibrary>

tobor
Quote ronie: "Estuary is a giant piece of crap." Looking for a new quote. Ideas?
Yes it's space / space to prevent Artists such AC/DC being split into 2 artist entries.
does it support null value (\x00) as separator?
A null is supported as specified in ID3 v2.4.  Not in v2.3; that's why we recommend using v2.4 if you use  ID3 in MP3 files.  Other tag formats typically specify one value per tag, but allow multiples of a tag (APE, Xiph/Vorbis comments).

scott s.
I't was working for a moment somehow and then back to squased version Sad Not sure how to make it work again
I have advancedsettings.xml file with this settings but it is not working

xml:

<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<musiclibrary>
        <itemseparator>&_#0;</itemseparator>
  </musiclibrary>
</advancedsettings>

I added _ in separator to display it on page
Not too sure that null is a good idea anyway.  When Kodi displays the albumartist for an album or song, say in the albums node, it builds a string from the separate artists using the default item separator.  So, I assume that will just merge the albumartists intolonelongstring !!  It could even have unintentional side effects too, given that null is a C string terminator and parts of Kodi's code uses C strings.  It might not matter as you may just end up with a double terminated string, but honestly, I'd pick something else for a separator.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thing is that Kodi is not only thing that I have in my stack. For example Picard when you choose to use id3v2.4 tags is using null as only option for separator and it make sense as it is official separator in this version of id3 tags from 2000 Smile
Quote:ID3v2.4 was published on November 1, 2000. It allows text frames to contain multiple values, separated with a null byte. Textual data to be encoded in UTF-8 rather than UTF-16. ...
Yeah, what I mean is that you shouldn't need to use any advancedsetting to try to force Kodi to use the null value as a separator because the tag reader already does.

For example, in Picard, stuff is displayed with a ; separator like this.

But in the actual file, the separator is x00 which is Null.

I love Kodi to work with standard separator without any special settings but right now it is not and without advanced settings it is just showing string with \x00 in between
You're going to have to help me out here with some screenshots or a better description because I can't reproduce this.

These screenshots are taken from a kodi installation with no advancedsettings.xml at all and just scanned in the one album with two artists.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Where there is a separator needed, Kodi has used / . Note that this album was tagged using Picard, an example screenshot of the tags is already in the thread.
Here is my samples with nulls in genre from picard tags
on file info view

on album info view
OK, can you confirm what the tags look like in Picard then please.  Should be similar to this

I am presuming you have edited the tag(s) correctly using the edit box like this

And not tried to delete the text and type it in manually, adding in the nul into the text field to separate the two values, like this

Because that won't work and will produce exactly the result you are seeing.
yes it is exactly how you showed. Separated by ; and not entered as single entry with null added manually

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple values in one music field0