Long Distance KODI
This is long-distance network-related question.   (Please move if this is not the correct forum)

Scenario:  Small home in location #1, another small home in location #2.  Both have internet without data cap.  1500+ miles separate.  Prefer to do things via teh windows platform.

NOW:

I have my Storage Server (win10pro w/ 50tb) and my backup device (Buffalo Terastation w/ 50TB) on the same network.  I use SyncBackFree to run regular backups.

When we travel between homes, via RV, we take the server and backup with us, but that is really a PITA.   (as is the drive, but we have a VERY large dog, so...)

DESIRED STATE:

Leave server at one location, backup at the other.

PROBLEM I FORESEE:

* Network provider DHCP addressing.  The DHCP assigned address provided to the routers can change and that kills any solution based on an IP address.

* I use an SQL based database to provide info to multiple KODI enabled devices.   And that means that MariaDB, HeidiSQL and SyncBackFree would need to work across the network.  

So:   How can I Do this?   (Please, and thank you)

I gave a passing view of Plex, but that really does not adresss the need, plus KODI (in my opinion) is just better overall.  And prices for a commercial based internet account that would provide a fixed IP address are just astronomical compared to regular retail customer.

Open to various ideas. thx.
Get a static ip on either end. A vpn might be advisable. That topic can't be discussed here since it's out of Kodi's scope (and is usually used for illicit purposes where Kodi is concerned) but that is the only way to do it realistically.
Yeah, nothing illegal here, just the usual noises...  still, I was hoping to do that without a static IP.   Once you request one of those then a "retail residential" account becomes a "commercial" account (at least in the provider's perspective) and then the monthly price jumps up.

I've got a feeling that if I want to do this solid, I will have to see if I can do this static on both ends.

Yes, absolutely on the VPN, if I do roll this out.
There are dynamic DNS services you can leverage, but having a static address on the "home" location would be simplest. You wouldnt need static on the "away" location.

As mentioned, anything VPN is going to be best discussed elsewhere (ie setup/use), but thats what i use when im travelling in a very similar scenario.
I used DDNS for a similar purpose in the past. Might be an option in your scenario.
If I may suggest a radical idea.

Run a virtual server (vultr.com has good service plenty of bandwidth, cheap prices, lots of features, cloud based so it's priced per hour not month) with Jellyfin in a docker, reverse SFTP mount from the 50TB home server to the cloud server.
Jellyfin client on remote Kodi, added benefit of potential mobile device clients for phones and tablets.
Set up some firewall rules. Has a static IP already. Can do live transcoding for bandwidth management.

Profit.

Notes.

Select a server decent enough to handle transcoding or don't use transcoding. Pretty much any internet should be able to handle a BluRay 1:1 bitrate, 4K may be trickier but not impossible.
Further notes I forgot to mention.

Using a docker you can route the config back to the home server, with that you can spin up a cloud server in minutes without reconfig and tear it down again just as fast to keep costs lower.
Cloud server could be up for only 4 hours a day when you want it and not be charged for the other 20 hours a day or some such variation on hours/days/months/whatever.
I do this:

Wireguard server running on the Nas at location 1.

Location 2 I have a sbc (odroid c2) which simply is a wireguard client and sends all traffic it recieves over to the wireguard server.

Static route on location 2 router to route IPS in location 1 IP range to the SBC which then routes all the traffic to location 1.

Done.
Pretty much just connects the two networks. Same config on all kodis etc. Super quick and reliable.

Use ddns with cloudflare so location 1 keeps a cname dns record upto date and then use that at location 2 for the server address.
I run Mezzmo with a DDNS provider and leverage the web interface when traveling.   Very simple, no equipment to take with me other than a laptop, which I typically have anyway..  This doesn't address the remote backup desire but is simple. 

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Long Distance KODI0