• 3(current)
v20 Updated from Matrix 19.4 to Nexus 20 RC automatically
Quote:Yes it is deliberate.

Ms store releasing sucks ass. RC onwards will be released on MS store, and was the case for 19 as well.

Honestly, I don't think that releasing RC versions so all users find their setups updated 'by force', and causing issues is a responsible attitude at all, even being Kodi free software.
(2022-12-12, 12:14)gary191265 Wrote: I have had the same problem. I'm now on the Nexus Beta build and get just sound and a blank screen whenever I try to play from any source.

Anyone know a workaround for this, or do I just have to wait for the next build?

Had the same issue and fixed it by reverting the Settings/System/Display to their defaults, playing a video source, and then going back to Settings/System/Display and entering my own settings (including the Whitelist resolutions) again. Even though the settings ended up being the same, that did the trick.
(2022-12-14, 09:32)megurrola Wrote:

Ms store releasing sucks ass. RC onwards will be released on MS store, and was the case for 19 as well.

Honestly, I don't think that releasing RC versions so all users find their setups updated 'by force', and causing issues is a responsible attitude at all, even being Kodi free software.
If you re-read this you will see that it is just how the MS store works which we have no control of. So you point may be valid but it is not our choice.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2022-12-14, 11:43)Dangelus Wrote:
(2022-12-14, 09:32)megurrola Wrote:

If you re-read this you will see that it is just how the MS store works which we have no control of. So you point may be valid but it is not our choice.

I can understand that MS decides that Xbox downloads updates automatically from the store. And you, as Xbox user, have the option to disable updates (all of them) if you want.
And I can understand that Kodi Team has no responsibility or control at all on that.

But what I can't understand, is someone from Kodi Team publishing a Release Candidate version of Kodi in the MS Store, considering how the MS Store and Xbox updates work.

Having in count that it is possible (at least the option is there) to disable automatic updates in Xbox, it would be nice that someone from the Team provides advice to the Xbox affected users about how to solve this. Just one idea: it would be possible the 20 RC being removed from MS Store by Kodi Team, then affected users uninstalling 20 RC, managing to keep the media database, then affected users installing 19.4, and problem solved?
One question guys, on 20.0 RC with the updated ffmpeg does kodi on xbox supports now any kind of HDR/DV on mkv or mp4 files? Someone tried?
(2022-12-14, 15:46)megurrola Wrote: But what I can't understand, is someone from Kodi Team publishing a Release Candidate version of Kodi in the MS Store, considering how the MS Store and Xbox updates work.
It is not too complicated. At the moment of publication, there were no such user reports as far as I can see. The add-on slowdown issue induced by a Microsoft update prompted the team to publish an almost ready release version as a fix, after weighing risk and rewards. Team Kodi relies heavily on user reports, especially on platforms with no active devs. 
(2022-12-14, 15:46)megurrola Wrote: Having in count that it is possible (at least the option is there) to disable automatic updates in Xbox, it would be nice that someone from the Team provides advice to the Xbox affected users about how to solve this.
Get involved with Kodi development. Test, report bugs, write code.
(2022-12-14, 15:46)megurrola Wrote: Just one idea: it would be possible the 20 RC being removed from MS Store by Kodi Team, then affected users uninstalling 20 RC, managing to keep the media database, then affected users installing 19.4, and problem solved?
No.

Alternatively, we would be forced to end Xbox support due to lack of community contributions and active developers.
(2022-12-14, 16:38)sarbes Wrote:
(2022-12-14, 15:46)megurrola Wrote: But what I can't understand, is someone from Kodi Team publishing a Release Candidate version of Kodi in the MS Store, considering how the MS Store and Xbox updates work.
It is not too complicated. At the moment of publication, there were no such user reports as far as I can see. The add-on slowdown issue induced by a Microsoft update prompted the team to publish an almost ready release version as a fix, after weighing risk and rewards. Team Kodi relies heavily on user reports, especially on platforms with no active devs. 
(2022-12-14, 15:46)megurrola Wrote: Having in count that it is possible (at least the option is there) to disable automatic updates in Xbox, it would be nice that someone from the Team provides advice to the Xbox affected users about how to solve this.
(2022-12-14, 15:46)megurrola Wrote: Just one idea: it would be possible the 20 RC being removed from MS Store by Kodi Team, then affected users uninstalling 20 RC, managing to keep the media database, then affected users installing 19.4, and problem solved?
No.

Alternatively, we would be forced to end Xbox support due to lack of community contributions and active developers.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation.
Rolling back to Windows 10...
I personally prefer a limited Xbox support with updates from Kodi Team VS the end of Xbox support for Kodi.

Like the previous migration from 18.x to 19.x, the current migration from 19.x to 20.x cause some problems.
For an inexperienced user, the migration is not funny because some manual steps are needed and may cause the lost of data/settings.

A good way to improve user experience for the next major update would be to just add a little note in Microsoft Store (or somewhere else) containing "way to fixes common problems after a major update".
Perhaps publishing an official "beta" Kodi version would be nice too (distinct Microsoft Store entry)!
It will be easier to provide contributions to Kodi this way because switching to Dev Mode on Xbox is painful and cause the lost of all my games Quick Resume and some other OS cached data. Also, some bugs cannot be found in Dev Mode.

Anyway, i would like to THANK every Kodi Contributor.
Even if i got some trouble after this 20.x update, I'm now up and running again and happy with Kodi Smile
Thx
(2022-12-14, 16:38)sarbes Wrote:
No.

It's good to know why this release was pushed out then, because it does indeed fix the speed issue that version 19.4 was having. I'm not sure why no-one could have just said this earlier though or better, just quickly posted in the forums that it was happening, so that we weren't surprised and left wondering whether it was an error.

I'm sure most of us here are just users with no development experience, so implying that we're somehow to blame because there are no community contributions or active developers is a bit unfair. I'm sure for many it's the same as me - it's not that I won't help it's that I can't help, though if there was an easy way to test and someone could point me at a guide as to how then I'd try and give it a go.

I guess I am guilty of not using the bug tracker though - I'll do that now.
I was pretty surprised when this happened on my kids Series S the other day. It was just frozen on the main logo screen and wouldn't progress. My main problem is I use a shared database running off my NAS and my main Nvidia Shield machine is not updating to v20 yet. In Fact, I think that's on 19.3 still.  I'm guessing the xbox kodi is borked now until I can update the other machine and shared database with v20. Sad times considering it was all working fine.
Nvidia Shield (tube) | Kodi v20 | Sony STR-DN1080 amp in 7.2 | Asustor NAS 11TB raid 5 | Epson EH-TW7000 4k projector | 92" retractable screen | Canton CX 80 speakers
It’s worse than I thought initially. No changes I make since the update are being saved after I restart Kodi. I can add new items to the library, update watched status and anything else but as soon as I exit and start it again, all of that is gone. It’s like it’s frozen at the point that the update happened.
I mentioned earlier how this upgrade wiped my library. As I rebuild it (which will take days, even worse as Xbox version is painfully slow at scraping) things like movies and tv episodes I watched are appearing on scraped items. All of my non-scraped videos lost their data (last position, video aspect settings, etc) but somehow that data remains.

My big problem is the missing “Manage…” item from context menus. The new default scraper is making loads of mistakes on TV shows and the usual “Remove from Library” option is how I deal with those. Where is the “Manage…” item?!?
(2022-12-14, 23:51)Donkeyfumbler Wrote: It’s worse than I thought initially. No changes I make since the update are being saved after I restart Kodi. I can add new items to the library, update watched status and anything else but as soon as I exit and start it again, all of that is gone. It’s like it’s frozen at the point that the update happened.

It is probably in a loop doing the DB update every time it boots (the content that was in v19 updates it to v20 but the next time it boots instead of using the v20 database it does the same thing again). It's just an assumption.

It would be very helpful if someone with the same situation can provide a debug log...  (complete and with debug level enabled)
(2022-12-14, 23:59)clubsidedev Wrote: As I rebuild it (which will take days, even worse as Xbox version is painfully slow at scraping)

This is not exactly the case, at least Xbox series S is as fast or faster than Intel NUC8 running Windows 11 x64. Scraping thousands of movies only takes a few minutes... have multiple devices and Xbox is faster than Shield Pro 2019.

(2022-12-14, 23:59)clubsidedev Wrote: My big problem is the missing “Manage…” item from context menus.

Nothing has changed in this regard...  In a list of movies, etc. long press button A (green) popup menu appears and last item is "Manage..."
I can see the option to turn on debug logging in Kodi but where does it save the log and how can I get it off the Xbox?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated from Matrix 19.4 to Nexus 20 RC automatically0