Does Synology DS923+ and Kodi on FireTV work without hardware transcoding?
Hi,

i want to buy a new NAS and i am favoring the Synology DS923+. I have a Amazon Fire TV with Kodi running on it and i am wondering if it will work together. 

The reason for the wondering is that i read online that the Synology has "only" a AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU and no hardware transcoding compared to the older Synologies with Intel CPU. For PLEX this seems to be a problem. How is it for Kodi, if i share the video files via SMB/NFS and want to play them on my TV with the Fire TV with Kodi installed. Is this working or should i avoid the Synologies with AMD CPUs?

Cheers
Nerrun
(2022-12-22, 11:27)Nerrun Wrote: Hi,

i want to buy a new NAS and i am favoring the Synology DS923+. I have a Amazon Fire TV with Kodi running on it and i am wondering if it will work together. 

The reason for the wondering is that i read online that the Synology has "only" a AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU and no hardware transcoding compared to the older Synologies with Intel CPU. For PLEX this seems to be a problem. How is it for Kodi, if i share the video files via SMB/NFS and want to play them on my TV with the Fire TV with Kodi installed. Is this working or should i avoid the Synologies with AMD CPUs?

Cheers
Nerrun

If you use NFS or SMB sharing from a NAS to Kodi on any platform - it's up to Kodi to do the playback of the original file codecs, the NAS just serves the file up, unchanged, so there's no transcoding requirement for the NAS.  

Lots of people run small NASs on Raspberry Pi etc. style devices for Kodi playback.  

If the content you have can be played by the Fire TV stick - you're good. If it can't, you aren't.
@noggin thanks a lot for the explanation. That helps me with my decision. Thanks a lot 👍
You do not need any kind of transcoding if you use KODI because it is done on the device.
So the DS923+ is a complete overkill if you just want to host your video filos and play them with a Fire TV device. Any cheap Synology NAS will do the job good enough.
(2023-01-17, 07:56)Tanzbaerli Wrote: You do not need any kind of transcoding if you use KODI because it is done on the device.
So the DS923+ is a complete overkill if you just want to host your video filos and play them with a Fire TV device. Any cheap Synology NAS will do the job good enough.
Thanks. I agree that just for video hosting it is overkill. But i also use it for file storage, home automation, mail server and a few minor services. 👍

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Synology DS923+ and Kodi on FireTV work without hardware transcoding?0