How to treat each folder as an album? (Kodi treating each track as an album)
I've only been playing around with Kodi music for a week or two, so this is all new to me.  I had Kodi index or catalog a Music folder I have on a NAS box.

I have a number of folders containing CD's that I downloaded from file-lockers about 8 or so years ago, these are "Various Artist" type CD's.  An example:

Artist: VA
Title Of Album: Electro Swing 3
Year Of Release: 09.02.2011
Label: Wagram Music
Genre: House, Progressive
Quality: mp3
Bitrate: VBR
Total Time: 74:42 min
Total Size: 110 Mb

There is only 1 image file in the folder (Electro Swing 3.jpg) as well as a .cue and .m3u file.  I'm not sure if Kodi does anything with the .m3u or .cue files when indexing.

Most of the music folders are NOT "various artists" and are cataloged correctly so that when I view them I see them as an album with correct cover art.  But it seems that for these VA albums, Kodi is showing each track as an album, with no cover art, and a single track.

I assume that the Kodi defaults for the music info services do not have these "VA" albums?  And if not, can Kodi default to treating tracks inside the same folder as the same album?
You may need to run a tagger app at them, and make sure they all have proper tags, or customize the tags to fit your preferences.  You can try throwing musicbrainz picard at them and see if it can find them and tag them for you.  Otherwise, populate the  AlbumArtist tag as "Various Artist" and make sure the album name and date is consistent.

In my library, I have a number of VA "collections", (with Vol1,  Vol2 etc releases), and for those I put in the Collection name (or publisher) as the albumartist instead of having everything showing up under "Various Artists"
(2022-12-24, 16:55)Sumguy Wrote: can Kodi default to treating tracks inside the same folder as the same album?

It all depends on the tags.  Folder / directory structure means nothing to Kodi in relation to music, whereas tags do. You could distribute a 10 track album over 5 different cloud providers and as long as you tag everything correctly, kodi will put the album together.

See https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to treat each folder as an album? (Kodi treating each track as an album)0