v19 How to stream hi-res audio from Kodi to external DNLA audio renderer?
Hi!

Look, i have:
Kodi v19.4 on x86 nettop with Linux Ubuntu (do not remember ver but updated) compiled from sources
- Large collection of audio high res FLAC files. They are  on connected to KODI disk. Direct atteched of SMB NAS folder.
- Network atteched SMSL DP5 Hi-Fi palyer/dac based on ES9038Pro DAC chip and able to accept DNLA audio stream in high resolution over network

I need to stream hi-res audio from Kodi to external SMSL DP5 DNLA renderer

Twonky Media Server perfectly find SMSL DP5 as external DNLA network renderer
and push audio stream over network to DP5 in full high resolution 24bit/48kHz.
SMSL DP5 just plays it to analog outputs using its top ES9038Pro DAC.

But i am looking the way to do it from Kodi. Cause Kodi is main central media home hub and much featured!

Any help appreciated!
Regards
(2022-12-25, 11:57)twiningstea Wrote: Hi!

Look, i have:
Kodi v19.4 on x86 nettop with Linux Ubuntu (do not remember ver but updated) compiled from sources
- Large collection of audio high res FLAC files. They are  on connected to KODI disk. Direct atteched of SMB NAS folder.
- Network atteched SMSL DP5 Hi-Fi palyer/dac based on ES9038Pro DAC chip and able to accept DNLA audio stream in high resolution over network

I need to stream hi-res audio from Kodi to external SMSL DP5 DNLA renderer

Twonky Media Server perfectly find SMSL DP5 as external DNLA network renderer
and push audio stream over network to DP5 in full high resolution 24bit/48kHz.
SMSL DP5 just plays it to analog outputs using its top ES9038Pro DAC.

But i am looking the way to do it from Kodi. Cause Kodi is main central media home hub and much featured!

Any help appreciated!
Regards

You can try under Kodi Services -->  UPnP/DLNA to enable the options "Enable UPnP Support and "Look for remote UPnP players".   Restart Kodi and then right click on a music file and click on the Play Using option and you should see your DLNA DAC, if Kodi discovered it as a UPnP renderer. 

I know you mentioned Twonky but if the above doesn't work and you are looking for something even more full featured you might consider Mezzmo and the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  They are tightly integrated with Kodi.   I am the author for the Mezzmo Kodi addon so I am happy to answer any questions.  Also, if this compariion chart is correct, Twonky won't handle FLAC using gapless playback, if that is desired.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Thank you Jeff!
Will try this evening and get back with results.

"Twonky won't handle FLAC using gapless playback, if that is desired" - sure gapless playback required :-) no doubts!

I have mentioned Twonky just as example of working configuration that i am trying to configure with Kodi. Actually i would prefer to avoid introducing additional part into setup.
(2022-12-25, 13:17)twiningstea Wrote: Thank you Jeff!
Will try this evening and get back with results.

"Twonky won't handle FLAC using gapless playback, if that is desired" - sure gapless playback required :-) no doubts!

I have mentioned Twonky just as example of working configuration that i am trying to configure with Kodi. Actually i would prefer to avoid introducing additional part into setup.

Understood on Twonky.  One thing to realize is that Kodi is much better as a DLNA / UPnP client than as a server.  It will work as a UPnP server but will have some  limitations.  I am not sure if my recommendation will work and whether gapless FLAC with Kodi as both a server and a client is possible.  That is why I mentioned Mezzmo as a further option if it doesn't work as desired.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Jeff, your suggestion "right click on a music file and click on the Play Using option and you should see your DLNA DAC"  worked fine. One file was streamed to DP5 DAC and played. Then i found everithing else not functional :-( I mean missing all important features like playing folder, controlling playback etc..

So Kodi not yet ready for such use

So far it is:
1) Roon has perfect GUI and user experience but only beams AirPlay CD quality audio stream over DNLA to SMSL DP5 because DP5 does not have Roon RAAT client inside - not Roon ready. AirPlay only speaks 16/44.1. I have to finish with it.
2) Twonky has acceptable GUI and user experience, plays all kinds of hi-res over DNLA (including 24/48) to DP5 but ignores CUE indexes to understand separate tracks in large FLAC images. It just takes it as 60 minutes track ignoring CUE file next to it. I have contacted twonky support with it. I have it officialy licensed so hope for help. Support case registered - "TH-5409 [Twonky Help] Twonky Server ignores CUE index files next to large CD flac images"
3) Kodi GUI is best, user experience is very good, but it does not have required facilities to stream hi-res audio over DNLA to external network DAC :-(

Twonky looks most promising in this list. Will talk to its support. But i stil hope to find magic Kody plug-in or add-on to receive desired capabilities.

I appeciate your help in stepping in this discussion and suggesting Mezzmo. I breifly stydied it and it looks too coumbersome to me to introduce additional DNLA server on Windows machine. I would like to stay with smal Linux nettop PC connectet directly by HDMY to TV screen and pushing aoudio to SMSL DP5 over network. DP5 already has its own Android phone application to control playback. But i am looking the way to control it with large TV screen - it helps to browse tracks, read lyrics etc ...

My ENG is not native. I definitely did lot of misstakes. Excuse me please for it.
(2022-12-26, 07:11)twiningstea Wrote: I appeciate your help in stepping in this discussion and suggesting Mezzmo. I breifly stydied it and it looks too coumbersome to me to introduce additional DNLA server on Windows machine. I would like to stay with smal Linux nettop PC connectet directly by HDMY to TV screen and pushing aoudio to SMSL DP5 over network. DP5 already has its own Android phone application to control playback. But i am looking the way to control it with large TV screen - it helps to browse tracks, read lyrics etc ...

Thanks for the update.  As you point out, Mezzmo is limited that it only runs on Windows as a server. The Mezzmo Kodi addon does have native UPnP support but right now leverages Kodi's Play-To functionality.  I had considered adding Play-To support to the addon and then I could add additional functionality but that isn't something I plan to tackle right now. 

Good luck,

Jeff
Guys, can anyone tell me if there fully audio player functional (plugin or addon) and able to play to network DNLA renderer?
Twonky Support replyed 
"CUE indexes are not currently supported by Twonky Server and we don't have it on our current roadmap. We will consider this in future meetings to re-evaluate the feature additions."
:-(
asked then register enchansement request
(2022-12-29, 09:21)twiningstea Wrote: Twonky Support replyed 
"CUE indexes are not currently supported by Twonky Server and we don't have it on our current roadmap. We will consider this in future meetings to re-evaluate the feature additions."
:-(
isked then register enchansement request

Sorry to hear about Twonky and lack of CUE support.  I don't know if Mezzmo supports CUE indexes or not.  Based upon some research it looks like many DLNA servers may not support this.  There's been some past discussions on the Mezzmo forums about it but the responses were inconclusive.

One thing I did want to mention is that Mezzmo has its own android app too.  I use it all the time to push content to various DLNA renderers (including some Kodi devices) on my network.  The Mezzmo web interface also allows a full DLNA Play-To functionality.  That might work for a full TV screen interface.  I am not sure what Twonky's web interface option is.  I haven't tested it.

Thanks,

Jeff
(2022-12-27, 06:03)twiningstea Wrote: Guys, can anyone tell me if there fully audio player functional (plugin or addon) and able to play to network DNLA renderer?

2 and a bit years later ... it seems that you can still only play one track at a time via a DNLA renderer. What I want to do is enter Party Mode and have all the tracks played through my DLNA renderer. What happens is that, after entering Party Mode, seeing the playlist, selecting "Play Using ..." and my DLNA player in the Context Menu for the currently playing track, all the other tracks are cleared from the playlist. Only the track whose Context Menu I selected is played. I looked through the settings and couldn't find anything that would let me switch the audio output to a DLNA player. This seems like a ridiculous limitation of "Play Using ...". Is there a way to switch the audio output or play multiple tracks using ...?
I have just discovered you can select "Play Using ..." from the Context Menu on an album in the album list and Kodi will play the entire album through the DLNA device so there appears to be no technical reason why it can't play an entire playlist too.
(2024-03-02, 10:52)msfc Wrote: I have just discovered you can select "Play Using ..." from the Context Menu on an album in the album list and Kodi will play the entire album through the DLNA device so there appears to be no technical reason why it can't play an entire playlist too.
And I have now discovered that you can select "Play Using ..." from the Context Menu of a playlist. But when I did this on the Context Menu for the "Party Playlist" I got the spinning wheels for a minute or more. When it finally started playing I realized why. It had selected every track in my collection instead of doing the Party Mode thing. I'll open a bug about this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to stream hi-res audio from Kodi to external DNLA audio renderer?0