Req Add support for HDMI QMS and HDMI VRR
As the amount of movies being made with 48 fps and no TV having a native mode for it, QMS (Quick Media Switch) became essential for playing these strange video speeds with even cadence.

HDMI QMS is part of HDMI 2.1a so the TV have to be quite new to support QMS but the game focused solution, HDMI VRR, is widely supported by 120 Hz TVs by now as it's a part of HDMI 2.1 specification and optional for HDMI 2.0. In other words, it's mainstream.

This is also very usefull for media that use more than one speed like old DVDs. Mixing 30 fps content with 24 fps content was more common than not at that time as we still used CRT screens where this wasn't that noticeable at all. MKV also have support for timecodes for more than a decade now and players widely supports it.

If needed I can provide a video example to test when implementation is done.

KODI behavior with this kind of video:

When fixed rate: judder
When kodi is allowed to change the TV refresh rate: HDMI handshake is forced because kodi will force refresh change in the middle of playback. Screen goes black for a bit while syncing again to new refresh rate.

KODI expected behavior with QMS/VRR

TV refresh rate will change without user noticing it keeping perfect cadence in check.
Excellent idea. QMS and VRR are the future of digital interfaces and even more so of media centers. It could actually greatly increase the overall responsiveness of the interface in addition to its fluidity. No more aggressive black cuts. No more infernal latency to write on the numeric keypad when doing a movie search. Etc. I am also very surprised that it is not yet already integrated.
This is something the underlaying hardware Kodi runs on needs to support.
For my part, the only link that is not compatible is the Kodi software.
This is correct. I did run Kodi while VRR is engaged and Kodi is not able to interact with it. It just uses the max refresh rate allowed as fixed. This is the same HDR recently. It needs a hw that supports it but if kodi can't play HDR files than it's worth nothing for HDR content.
If  20th Century Studios / Cameron decides to produce a commercial digital version of Avatar 2 in VRR, maybe the Kodi Devs will be interested. Without it, I'm afraid they won't hear us. However, it would be a good step forward for the ergonomics of KODI's graphical interface, and in particular the navigation in its menus.

A Reddit request just happened !  Big Grin
https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/z...resh_rate/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add support for HDMI QMS and HDMI VRR0