Playing 3D on a projector using Shield with Kodi
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I am looking at buying a 4k 3D projector such as the Optoma 35+, and wondering if the 3D works as it should.

In the past I've had 3D tvs with 3D contents streaming using Kodi. The 3D content was SBS and labelled accordingly so Kodi detects it as 3D and it plays on the tv without any issues.

My question is if I got a 4k 3D projector, will it work the same way?

Thanks
So in your use case you are playing SBS media on the Shield TV.

The Shield TV has no inherent built-in 3D support - so the only 3D aspects of your player set-up you are exploiting is Kodi rendering its User Interface in SBS mode so you can see the UI over the video when its playing SBS content and your display is in SBS mode - which Kodi infers from the file naming.

I take it you are currently manually switching your Optoma 35+ projector into SBS mode when you play SBS content - rather than Kodi triggering it somehow via IP/RS232/IR etc.?

If that is the case I see no reason why a change in projector should change this if you can still manually switch your new projector into SBS mode ?  (If for some reason SBS is only available on your projector in 1080p modes and below you might need to do some whitelisting - but I doubt that will be an issue)
I should have made it clearer. I have not yet purchased the projector, only looking at buying if the 3D will work.

Previously I had used an LG tv, which had a 3D button where I can selected SBS and the 3D would work fine.

So my question is will the 3D work the same on the Optoma 35+ projector? Or any other 4k 3D projectors?

Thanks
I think I have found the answer.
The Optoma projects appear to only do packed frames, so won't work for me.
Some of the Epson and BenQ projectors will do SBS, so I will go for one of those. I can't see a reason why it won't work.

Thanks for the help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing 3D on a projector using Shield with Kodi0