Why does the "Home"-Button not work in every situation?
This is a problem that has bugged my for quite some time:

Why does the "Home"-Button which is present on almost every remote not work on every Kodi window? IMHO this button should in every situation navigate the user to the Kodi homepage/main menu. But: I.e. when viewing a picture slideshow or the music OSD, you always have to go "Back" fist and then press the home button? I have this on all Kodi versions I have been using, and on several skins, so it seems to be a general design decision.

Also, it seems not to help to map the button in a custom keymap. (I also do not see at which place in the generic standard keymap.xml the "Home" button would be remapped in certain Kodi windows, so maybe I'm misunderstanding some UI logic here?! Is the "FirstPage" functionality, which the Home-button seems to call in the generic keymap.xml, not present in some windows?!)
Mostly has to do with how the skinner does things, Kodi itself really doesn't handle it.

If that bugs you wait until you get on an Android box that takes you out of Kodi with the home key.
There is no specific 'Home' ActivateWindow(Home) control in the remote.xml so it's probably mapped to previous menu.
Indeed the homebutton seems to be mapped to the function "FirstPage", which is not documented as Kodi builtin function. The "ActivateWindoe(Home)" function is called by other buttons (e.g. BrowserHome). Is there a functional difference between both mappings?!
To reply to myself, if somebody has a similar problem: On some screens you have to dismiss a modal dialogue before you can leave this screen. So "ActivateWindow(xyz)" does not work. This disrupts IMHO user experience if you have a "home" button on your remote and it doesn't work in many situations...
To workaround I now mapped the home-key of the remote to a script which closes all dialogues before switching to the home screen. I don't know yet if there are any side effects...
python:
xbmc.executebuiltin('Dialog.Close(all)')
xbmc.executebuiltin('ActivateWindow(home)')

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does the "Home"-Button not work in every situation?0