TV Episode Naming Format 01x05 is better than S01E05
Bug 
When dealing with Computers, KISS "Keep It Simple Stupid" Principals are a blessing!

01x05   vs   S01E05

Do we really need the S & E?

Are Computers that dumb that when they see a  x  in the format 00x00 they don't know that the number before the  x  is SERIES and the number after the  x  is EPISODE NUMBER.
(2023-01-09, 15:11)Oldie1 Wrote: Do we really need the S & E?

You can use what works for you. I have been using SxxExx since XBMC Eden, and it still works today.

(2023-01-09, 15:11)Oldie1 Wrote: Are Computers that dumb that when they see a  x  in the format 00x00 they don't know that the number before the  x  is SERIES and the number after the  x  is EPISODE NUMBER.

Computers are dumb by definition: they only know the difference between a 0 and a 1.
As far as Kodi scraping goes, a lot depends on how you name your TV files in full.
Absolutely not, all my all my tv show episodes are named:-

Showname 1x01 Epsiode_Title.ext

eg. Lost (2004) 4x11 Cabin Fever.mkv

Kodi really doesn't care. I've never had an episode that didn't scrape.

Is one format better than the other, not really. I would say that S01E01 is probably the most popular format.  I like 1x01 as it's shorter and I find it easier to read.
Most certainly.

SxxEyy is the primary method of naming episodes. It is what Kodi checks for first. When it does not find that naming, it then continues down a list of other naming methods until it finds a match. But the lower down the list it goes, the higher the chances of false matches especially for users who, for some reason, have all that nonsense garbage in the filename.

Your KISS method is so far down the list it usually causes problems for users. And no, were not moving it higher up the list. See the Pattern table here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Episodes

How and why does it affect you if users use SxxEyy? All my episodes are named this way.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Karellen Thanks for reply.

I am sad that the Industry standard is S00xE00, and most Databases and some Media Centre Front-Ends are reluctant to move to the simpler 00x00 format.

Some Experimental Media Centres are trying to provide a better user experience by restructuring the Info-Graphics Database & MC Front-Ends by eliminating the need for users to per-sort their media into Movies, TV, Video, Music, etc

This is great if it can be achieved in the commercial market as it allows users to have a singe Mixed Media Source.

Many TV shows have related movies, it's handy to have them all in the same source folder and for the Media Centres to be able to display and play both TV Series and Movies together

Scrapers can be developed it is believed to accommodate scraping a mixed media source.
(2023-01-10, 17:37)Oldie1 Wrote: Karellen Thanks for reply.

I am sad that the Industry standard is S00xE00, and most Databases and some Media Centre Front-Ends are reluctant to move to the simpler 00x00 format.

As I said the 0x00 format works perfectly fine in Kodi, did you not read my post  Huh
(2023-01-10, 17:37)Oldie1 Wrote: Many TV shows have related movies, it's handy to have them all in the same source folder and for the Media Centres to be able to display and play both TV Series and Movies together
https://kodi.wiki/view/Convert_movie_to_episode

(2023-01-10, 18:26)roidy Wrote: As I said the 0x00 format works perfectly fine in Kodi
Yep, it would, as long as your filenames are clean, but when you get filenaming as shown in this post, then it easily becomes a problem...
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3123863
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I love how there's speculation on how easier it would be on the user if everything was in the same folder but absolutely no consideration for the difficulty on the programmer.

Sure, you can use fall through searches as I have already done before for limited input on limited databases but when you consider falling through millions of shows/episodes/movies in a database just to maybe find the correct one it's quite a bit more difficult.

Then, if you don't find the exact correct one the end user is going to come back and talk about how much of an ***hole you are and how rubbish your coding ability is.

As Karellen was pointing out, GIGO https://www.techtarget.com/searchsoftwar...arbage-out

As a coder I would love if all I ever had to deal with was ID numbers, name all your files to IMDB ID numbers and it'll display everything perfect every time.

But we're not going to do that because we want human readable, key word, human. So as a coder you have to translate human to computer which means accounting for a lot of humans.
Roidy  I did note that 0x00 works fine for you, but not me!

I use the following Media Centres on w10 22H2.

Windows Media Centre
Kodi
Media Portal 2
PlayerFab

But my problem is that my 100TB of TV episodes are all 00x00 and it does not scrape in any of theses media centers correctly.

Happy Days 01x01

Seems simple but no or incorrect data is scraped.

I have tried

Happy Days - S01E01 -
Happy Days S01E01
Happy Days - 01x01 -

Nothing works, so I have given up on using these Media Centres, for TV Series, But Movies work ok

Movie Name (1989)

Emby also works great for movies, has a great similar movie listing system.

nymbwddp   Great to hear from the forgotten and under appreciated programmers, the general public have no idea how difficult some tasks are with current computer systems.

All commercial media was supposed to have a unique copyright identifier something like what IMBD have with their id number system, but some countries did not agree to universal or even regional use of copyright ID's numbers, due to whos going to pay for maintaing that system.

MS are very reluctant to bring back MS-WMC for W12 in part due to the inability of Scrapers to achieve acceptable levels of accuracy.
(2023-01-10, 22:51)Oldie1 Wrote: But my problem is that my 100TB of TV episodes are all 00x00 and it does not scrape in any of theses media centers correctly.
Then there are other issues causing the fail.

Scrape Happy Days and provide a Debug Log.
My Signature
Thank you Karellen for your reply.

But I am just too old, an old age pensioner, and not computer savvy, my neighbors can't help, we have tried for what seems like 20 years or so, but it's never worked.

I asked MS years ago when we could not get XBMC to work to make a simple MC, that was idiot proof, MS made WMC which was ok but not brilliant.

My Video library is on about 20 small HDD's, HDD 01 worked for the very first folder being "Adventures In Paradise TV Show", but none of the others shows on the HDD.

"Happy Days" is on another HDD and kodi found nothing.

My TV Built-in PVR, and External ASUS O'PLAY Media Player plays all The TV Shows ok, so I will Give up on Media Centres ever playing TV Shows.
(2023-01-12, 16:02)Oldie1 Wrote: But I am just too old, an old age pensioner, and not computer savvy, my neighbors can't help, we have tried for what seems like 20 years or so, but it's never worked.
Ok, but without a Debug Log, there is no way to see what is going wrong.
If you read the Debug Log guide, you will find its only 5 simple steps. Really, its not that hard once you follow the guide. And if you are on Windows, its even easier.

Why not read the Library setup guide. You might spot where you are going wrong with setting up the tv show library... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library
My Signature
0x00 worked for me for the longest time and it was my primary method.  Lately I've been running into issues, for example when adding the YouTube channel Lazy Game Reviews, by downloading the files and labeling them to match the TVDB.  The episode titles themselves contain so many years and odd number sequences that 0x00 results in some confusion and the wrong things get considered to be 'episode numbers;.

I've moved everything to S00E00 since as that seems to be easier to read for automated systems.  0x00 worked fine for me for 10 years but I just ran into to many edge cases in the last year.
In my case it's
./batman-animated-series/1x02-on-leather-wings.mkv
I like short paths, lowercase and hyphens. If year is not needed I skip it simple as. Kodi is quite flexible.
(2023-01-09, 18:22)roidy Wrote: Absolutely not, all my all my tv show episodes are named:-

Showname 1x01 Epsiode_Title.ext

eg. Lost (2004) 4x11 Cabin Fever.mkv
AFAIK Kodi completely ignores series name in episode filenames. You can keep it for yourself but it serves no purpose for scraping and might as well get into way if you're very unlucky.
(2023-01-17, 23:59)DJ_Izumi Wrote: 0x00 worked for me for the longest time and it was my primary method.  Lately I've been running into issues, for example when adding the YouTube channel Lazy Game Reviews, by downloading the files and labeling them to match the TVDB.  The episode titles themselves contain so many years and odd number sequences that 0x00 results in some confusion and the wrong things get considered to be 'episode numbers;.

I can see he's got some titles like LGR Thrifts [Ep.49] Crispy Leaf Springs where the Ep part is likely to interfere with NxN due to its higher priority.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Episode Naming Format 01x05 is better than S01E050