v20 After backend reboot live TV channels only tune after multiple attempts
I've had a problem for a while but not sure if its Kodi or NextPVR backend related. 

After I've rebooted my NextPVR server It takes a few attempts to tune any liveTV channels again on kodi clients, they fail fail first and sometimes second time. After that they are OK, which I assume is because in NextPVR I have "Keep Digital Tuners Primed" selected and this speeds up further tuning requests.

I think the issue is that the first time I tune a channel (this is both on my DVBT2 and DVBS2 cards) it takes too long to tune and timesout. The second time is normally OK and once its successfully tuned NextPVR keeps it "primed" so it works then each time after that until I reboot the server.

Is there a tuning timeout value somewhere in Kodi I can change to see if it helps? I've looked in the PVR addon and settings but cant see it anywhere? 

Thanks
First a few questions,

- is the client local or remote?
- how long is your server down?
- are you using timeshifting?

Second Kodi debug logs would give me a much better picture of what is happening and I wouldn't need to ask these questions.

Martin
(2023-01-10, 18:25)emveepee Wrote: First a few questions,

- is the client local or remote?
- how long is your server down?
- are you using timeshifting?

Second Kodi debug logs would give me a much better picture of what is happening and I wouldn't need to ask these questions.

Martin
Hi Martin

Clients are remote, but I do have Kodi also installed on the server for testing (to rule out firewall issues etc..) and this exhibits the same issues

Server can be down just for update reboot or for longer and same results

Yes I have timeshift enabled on my clients

Also to add that recording is never an issue only live playback. This is what led me to believe the issue was Kodi related rather than NextPVR as I assume when Kodi Client tells NextPVR to record all the work is then done on the NextPVR server

I hope I did the debug log correctly see link below. I tried a channel that worked after 4 or 5 attempts to tune it

https://paste.kodi.tv/horaqelija.kodi
The clients do go into a slow poll after a longer outage but the local client not connecting would be a different story.  My suggestion would be to enable debug logging on the local Kodi client, reboot and duplicate the problem and then post the kodi.log via paste.kodi.tv

To check the tuner priming (which would mean channel changing would fail too) you can restart the service instead of the server and see if you have the same issue.  If this fails then something really odd is going on since this should only be using socket connection timeouts.

Martin
Bug 
Thanks Martin
I did paste a debug log (I hope)into the previous post, can you see anything from that?
Cheers Dave
Unfortunately that log turns on debug logging too late to see what I need and I didn't think it was localhost. If you don't have an advancedsettings.xml in userdata use this, otherwise add the line and I will see more.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Then do the same test.

Do you have auto play enabled?

Martin
(2023-01-10, 20:40)emveepee Wrote: Unfortunately that log turns on debug logging too late to see what I need and I didn't think it was localhost. If you don't have an advancedsettings.xml in userdata use this, otherwise add the line and I will see more.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Then do the same test.

Do you have auto play enabled?

Martin

Hi Martin. I've done some more testing and think the issue is my Kodi setup. I've had the same instalation for ages (probably since V14 or V15) and copied the data onto some of the other clients in the house to speed up setup process. If I try on a client that I've setup from scartch I dont have the issue so I think I'll bite the bullet and setup my main Kodi client on the PC in the lounge again and see how that goes
Ok, but I feel you will back.  As there is a big update to pvr.nextpvr coming, you might want to hold off and we can see what is the root cause.  There are some connections state changes and I want to make sure it addresses the issue you are having.

Martin
(2023-01-10, 19:39)emveepee Wrote: The clients do go into a slow poll after a longer outage but the local client not connecting would be a different story.  My suggestion would be to enable debug logging on the local Kodi client, reboot and duplicate the problem and then post the kodi.log via paste.kodi.tv

To check the tuner priming (which would mean channel changing would fail too) you can restart the service instead of the server and see if you have the same issue.  If this fails then something really odd is going on since this should only be using socket connection timeouts.

Martin
Martin, Thanks for mentioning the advancedsettings.xml. I had one from 2017 with these settings in it

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<autodetectpingtime>30</autodetectpingtime>     <!-- Time (in seconds) between pings for detecting new xboxes. Default 30, minimum 1, maximum 240 -->
<curlclienttimeout>5</curlclienttimeout>         <!-- Timeout (in seconds) for player and other connections. Default 10, minimum 1, maximum 1000 -->
<curllowspeedtime>1</curllowspeedtime>         <!-- Time (in seconds) the http client should wait before judging a connection as low. Default 20, minimum 1, maximum 1000 -->
<curlretries>2</curlretries>                 <!-- Number of times the http client retries. Default 2, minimum 0, maximum 10 -->
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>             <!-- Disables ipv6. Default false -->
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>      <!-- Size of the player cache in bytes. Default 20M (20*1024*1024), if 0 it uses a SimpleFileCache. -->
</network>
</advancedsettings>

I renamed it to .old and retested and now Kodi works as it should. Assume the 5 second timeout setting was the issue. No idea where those entries came from but seems OK now :-)

Thankyou for nudging me in the right direction, much appreciated!!
Thanks, I should have seen that in the logs you posted, it would have saved some time.  You won't see it in the logs, but it is probably the original connection that is failing.  The new update will have a bit more info under the Kodi event log to help debug connection issues like this.

Glad you got it sorted out. 

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
After backend reboot live TV channels only tune after multiple attempts0