AMD 5700G cpu any good
Hello all

I am buying a 4k tv and Upgrading my pc for media only and was looking for a cpu that does it all. I am looking at the 5700G as it has a vega 8 and I was wondering if this cpu supports everything out there, meaning all the codec support like hdr Dolby vision and hevec, vp9 and vc1 4k. Just want a computer that can run everything as I also need full support for high end bitrates and Dolby atmos and auto refresh rate switching.

I have used a pc for years and it just does it all apart from anything 4k.

Any help on a cpu would be great or am I looking at a separate cpu and gfx.

Thanks
Which OS are you planning to use?
Windows 10 or 11 but herd windows 11 is better for hdr switching ?
It depends on what you are going to do with it. However since you say specifically that you want to run a 4k TV, the pertinent question is can the 5700G support 4k output. Given that Raspberry Pi 4B can, at least in theory, you'd think the answer would be yes. However, I'm not sure the chip can.

I have an older graphics card in my computer that is quite happily outputting 4k video to my monitor even though it would likely struggle with modern games. However it's still rated as superior to the Vega 8 graphics.

I haven't found anything that definitively states the maximum resolution of the 5700G graphics so this is not the final word on it, but if you are hoping to get it to display 4k output, you may be disappointed.
you may be better off with ryzen 7000 RDNA 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aPXHE5wUQU AMD Ryzen 7000 Integrated Graphic Review
Nothing wrong with the 5700G for Kodi it's a great APU. This wiki page will give you an idea what codecs etc. it supports for hardware decoding. The 5700G uses the Cezanne architecture. 

With AM4 the motherboard is most important, it's the motherboard that dictates whether the HDMI port is HDMI 1.4 or 2.0. HDMI 2.0 is needed for 4k60 and HDR.

The only benefit for waiting for something with an RDNA2 GPU is support for AV1 decoding, but you'll need a new motherboard and RAM. Outside of some streaming services AV1 is not yet widely adopted. If you already have a 5700G I wouldn't be upgrading just to get AV1 support.
I'd say, buy an android 4k tv and load Kodi onto that.  Current nightlies will do DolbyVision as well as HDR10 and HLG.  The only downside I have from running Kodi this way is that my AVR doesn't support eARC just ARC, so I don't get TrueHD or MasterAudio just the core DTS or whatever.  TV does support eARC though so when I can afford to upgrade my AVR it won't be a problem.

I've always maintained in the past that a dedicated PC was a better bet, but now I'm not so sure on this.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks all.

Android boxes seem to miss features or have some sort of problem with options. 2nd I might want to get into gaming in the future so always could add a dedicated card.

Also I already have a pc and just need the chip, memory and motherboard as I have the rest of the stuff already like psu and case and os.

A lot of people say go with the 7000 series as these support the hardware decoding h.264, HEVC and even the upcoming AV1 codec

I will not be getting the 4k tv until mid end of this year so will be keeping an eye on deals for this chip as apparently all the new am5 motherboards have built in hdmi 2.1. Also might be a new chip at the end of the year as the new laptops are getting them now called the Phoenix chip or something so might drive the already out 7000 series down in price.

But it looks like I might need to go for this chip to get everything to work with windows 11.
AMD haven't even announced the 7000 series APU's yet, could be six months before they're released. 

The 5000 series do H264, HEVC, HDR, 4k etc fine, they only feature they lack is AV1. As far as I am aware HDMI 2.1 offers minimal benefits for a HTPC.  I could be wrong but i think the main advantage is support for 4k120, which is beneficial for gaming and not for media. 

TBH if you need a new CPU, motherboard and RAM it's probably better to look at Intel. Look at an entry level motherboard with the H610 chipset (e.g. ASRock H610M-ITX/ac) and a Celeron G6900. If you want to do more than media consumption e.g. gaming, then scale up the CPU accordingly.
(2023-01-24, 02:03)PANiCnz Wrote: AMD haven't even announced the 7000 series APU's yet, could be six months before they're released. 
AMD Ryzen 7000 are the first desktop Ryzen non-G series to feature RDNA2 graphics. 
Ryzen 7000 iGPU has powerful video decoding and display output specs. AMD today reaffirms that the built-in RDNA2 GPU has two Compute Units. As mentioned before, the iGPU is part of the new 6nm IOD die on the AM5 package. This new ‘disintegrated’ approach to Ryzen chiplet design gives AMD flexibility to upgrade and mix chiplets in future Ryzen CPUs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD 5700G cpu any good0