French translations in Weblate
Hello,

where can we criticize the translations of Kodi ?

I was surprised when i saw "20 version" on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro, the update was done without anything from me ?!

Shocked

So, i checked if something change in the settings, and i saw some part are not translated in french.

And i'm asking myself about some other settings already translated, because i'm not sure they were translated correctly ?!

I can share an example with you: I have every kind of sound who work perfectly on my AV receiver in bitstream, excepted in 2.0 !?

When a video has only a stereo sound, no codec like "Dts, DD, Dts-HD..." are recognized.

Huh

And i found no settings who talk about that, so maybe it's a problem of translation ?

I worked already for some software editors, from English to French, so maybe i can help ?

PS. I'm sad to see no place on internet to talk seriously about Kodi in french.
(2023-01-23, 18:30)ThinkFree Wrote: where can we criticize the translations of Kodi ?
In my opinion, criticizing translations is handled best by doing it better yourself. You can start by get a free account at Weblate, so we can place you in the French translators group.

(2023-01-23, 18:30)ThinkFree Wrote: I was surprised when i saw "20 version" on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro, the update was done without anything from me ?!
Have you already submitted translation changes via Weblate? It's possible that updates for Nexus have not been automated yet, but I would have to check that.

(2023-01-23, 18:30)ThinkFree Wrote: I can share an example with you: I have every kind of sound who work perfectly on my AV receiver in bitstream, excepted in 2.0 !?
When a video has only a stereo sound, no codec like "Dts, DD, Dts-HD..." are recognized.
Different technical outcomes do not immediately need to be a result from false translations. Kodi itself will need to work correctly first.

(2023-01-23, 18:30)ThinkFree Wrote: And i found no settings who talk about that, so maybe it's a problem of translation ?
Not all settings fit in the Kodi GUI menus. The number of menus/options on screen would have to be increased by a good amount.

(2023-01-23, 18:30)ThinkFree Wrote: PS. I'm sad to see no place on internet to talk seriously about Kodi in french.
Well, this is indeed an English-only forum. My own French learnings stopped when I graduated from school, and that was many, many moons ago. English is also 'the' language in computer programming, so I guess "1+1=2". People can always start their own Kodi forum in French or any other language, but we ourselves simply have do not have the manpower to also give full support in other languages.
(2023-01-23, 18:30)ThinkFree Wrote: Hello,

where can we criticize the translations of Kodi ?

Bonjour,
Je suis surpris de voir votre remarque qui je trouve, est plutôt directe.
Je me permet de vous répondre en français, car je prends cette remarque au pied de la lettre. Je préférerais que vous me disiez clairement quelles sont les traductions qui vous chagrinent.
Je ne suis pas encore passé à Kodi 20, pour la bonne raison que je fonctionne avec un serveur MySQL et que je ne veux pas tout de suite me retrouver avec des complications.
Cependant, je veux bien que vous apportiez une pierre à l'édifice. On ne sera jamais de trop.

J'ai le même pseudo sur Weblate.
Je serai ravi de travailler avec vous. Surtout quand vous aurez vu les quelques 60000 lignes à traduire.

[MODERATOR ADDITION]
As helpful as it may be to communicate in your own language, at least add the English translation so that we all can follow the conversation.

Hello,
I am surprised to see your remark which I find is rather direct.
I allow myself to answer you in French, because I take this remark at face value. I would prefer that you tell me clearly which translations cause you pain.
I haven't upgraded to Kodi 20 yet, for the simple reason that I'm running with a MySQL server and don't want to end up with any complications right away.
However, I want you to bring a stone to the building. We will never be too many.

I have the same nickname on Weblate.
I will be happy to work with you. Especially when you have seen the 60,000 lines to translate.
French Kodi translator on Weblate
I like to be direct, because in language of machine, if you are not precise, it will not work.

I can only imagine with that big project who wear the name of Kodi, that i will find a lot of lines of code

For me, Kodi want to do too many things and it become less easy to use it.

I started to use this marvelous media player when it was called XBMC and with the remote control from the first Xbox it was just magical to use it.

Now, with all the different kinds of "Media Box" and all their remote controls, it's another story.

But the most annoying thing with Kodi is the settings !

I would like, for example, to know why we need to go to expert mode first to get "HD Audio" settings... Huh

It's not easy to explain myself in English, but it's a good exercise.

And yes, i know, English is the universal language for so many things and i regret to see, still today, school don't start to teach English to young children with their national language.

I would be someone else if I had learned young

Nod
@ThinkFree
@skypichat

To not pollute the original thread any longer, I have split off this little discussion.
Ok, thanks
French Kodi translator on Weblate

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
French translations in Weblate0