is the Shield Pro still the most feature complete hardware for Kodi?
(2023-02-06, 10:10)noggin Wrote:
(2023-02-05, 22:27)TheBuz Wrote: I've also read the the USB to ethernet dongles negotiate at 100Mb/s also. 

I don't know specifically about Fire OS support - but USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet dongles used with a USB 2.0 port on other USB 2.0 only platforms I've used (Pi 3B and earlier, AMLogic TV boxes running CoreElec etc.) negotiate at 1000Mbs (i.e. Gigabit) and usually deliver >200Mbs transfer speeds (they are capped by the USB 2.0 bus, not the network connection)

USB 2.0 Ethernet adaptors are usually 100Mbs Ethernet devices, but USB 3.0 devices (which will be backwards compatible with USB 2.0) Gigabit Ethernet adaptors are widespread.
Sorry i should have clarified, yes, Fire OS limits all USB ethernet dongles to 100Mbs, This was from Amazon Customer Q&A on the product page.
My Kodi / HTPC / Gaming / Tech Channel
If I helped in someway, hit the Like button :)
Never thought about USB to Ethernet dongles on my Firestick 4K, since it has excellent WiFi capability. Using WiFi 5G I easily get over 300Mbs from a (wired connected) AP placed within 2-3 meters from FS. Never had ANY problems, as there are enough 5G channels to find an interference free one.
Its fine for normally streaming, but when you have UHD Blu-ray rips, it's 100s of GBs clogging up the WiFi that would be better served over a cable.
My Kodi / HTPC / Gaming / Tech Channel
If I helped in someway, hit the Like button :)
(2023-02-06, 15:41)TheBuz Wrote: Its fine for normally streaming, but when you have UHD Blu-ray rips, it's 100s of GBs clogging up the WiFi that would be better served over a cable.
Nothing can clog my mentioned WiFi, as it's dedicated only for Firestick 4K, and is connected to 2.5Gbit/s fiber optics. Watched plenty of 100+ GBs streams without any hiccups.
The value I find in these is just for a comparative test to gauge relative network performance between devices.

You're absolutely correct, in that these clips do not represent actual video playback scenarios, but rather are only useful to test network bandwidth.

I'm in the process of doing a full Rip and a Remux of one of my UHD BluRays (Black Panther Wakanda Forever) to see how playable they are on my FireCube with it's crappy 100Mbit LAN port. 

I did do some tests last night on my Fire Cube, and in KODI I installed the SpeedTest Add-on, and found that I consistently get 93Mbit down and 88Mbit Up.  My actual internet speed is 1 Gbit up and down, but the numbers I see from the test are consistent with 100Mbit LAN port that the FireCube has.  On my Intel NUC based KODI, I get 950Mbit+ in both directions.

Anyway, I did play the the Jellyfish clips.  The first clip, 90Mbit, actually seems to play pretty smooth.  I don't know if this is due to some caching, but I didn't see any issues.  The second clip I tried, 120Mbit, did have a couple of "micro-stutters", but it too was playable.  The 160Mbit clip was not playable it had far too many stutters.  Interestingly, I didn't see any "buffering" messages, just a lot of stuttering.  I never tried anything higher.

But, as mentioned above, these clips go above and beyond the limitations imposed on UHD playback, and since the argument is that 100Mbit is not usable for 4K UHD BluRay Rip playback, I aim to settle it by trying to play the full Rip and the Remux as soon as I have them done.  We'll post the results later.
I'm able to stream the 400Mbps Jellyfish clip via wired using a USB ethernet hub. Also tested high bitrate 4K UHD rips like '1917', which has several peaks over 100Mbps.
this is quite interesting, my method was to find the simplest way to make it work - wifi6
eagerly awaiting 2160p REMUX results

if you have it in your library, the very largest 4k bluray i found in mine (in a short search) is john wick chapter 2

Code:
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 3840x2160 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc
    Metadata:
      BPS-eng         : 77947270
      DURATION-eng    : 02:02:23.252583333
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 176062
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 71548305969
      SOURCE_ID-eng   : 001011
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: MakeMKV v1.17.2 linux(x64-release)
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2022-11-18 19:29:50
      _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: truehd, 48000 Hz, 7.1, s32 (24 bit) (default)
    Metadata:
      title           : Surround 7.1
      BPS-eng         : 4602528
      DURATION-eng    : 02:02:23.253333333
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 8811904
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 4224691626
      SOURCE_ID-eng   : 001100
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: MakeMKV v1.17.2 linux(x64-release)
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2022-11-18 19:29:50
      _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID

EDIT:

*largest overall size with highest bitrate, i have some larger that are ~50Mbps but the physical size is larger because the movies are longer time wise
(2023-02-06, 19:22)hdmkv Wrote: I'm able to stream the 400Mbps Jellyfish clip via wired using a USB ethernet hub. Also tested high bitrate 4K UHD rips like '1917', which has several peaks over 100Mbps.

What kind of USB hub?  Is this USB 3.0 to Gbit Ethernet?  Was it plugged into a USB 3.0 port, or the USB 2.0 port of the Amazon Fire Cube?
Based on your Metadata, the overall bitrate of this movie is 77947270 bps = 74.34Mbps for the video track.  The Audio adds another 4602528 bps = 4.39Mbps, so a total of 78.73Mbps.   I see no reason why this should play across 100Mbit Ethernet.

I just finished the Wakanda Forever Remux, and here are the specs.  I'll let you know how it plays

General
Complete name                            :MARVEL_STUDIOS'_BLACK_PANTHER__WAKANDA_FOREVER_-_ULTRA_HD.Title800.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 52.3 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 41 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 46.4 Mb/s
Movie name                               : MARVEL_STUDIOS'_BLACK_PANTHER__WAKANDA_FOREVER_-_ULTRA_HD.Title800
Encoded date                             : UTC 2023-02-06 19:46:44
Writing application                      : DVDFab 12.0.6.6
Writing library                          : libebml v1.4.2 + libmatroska v1.6.3

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main [email protected]@high
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate                                 : 41.7 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.209
Stream size                              : 46.9 GiB (90%)
Writing library                          : ATEME Titan File 3.9.6 (4.9.6.2)        
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                              : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID                                 : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 4 690 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 758 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Stream size                              : 5.28 GiB (10%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Number of dynamic objects                : 13
Bed channel count                        : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration                : LFE

Text
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : PGS
Codec ID                                 : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                            : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Duration                                 : 2 h 38 min
Bit rate                                 : 38.5 kb/s
Count of elements                        : 4856
Stream size                              : 43.6 MiB (0%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
i expect you wont have issues with 41.7Mbps video
(2023-02-06, 21:24)Dudeman Wrote:
(2023-02-06, 19:22)hdmkv Wrote: I'm able to stream the 400Mbps Jellyfish clip via wired using a USB ethernet hub. Also tested high bitrate 4K UHD rips like '1917', which has several peaks over 100Mbps.

What kind of USB hub?  Is this USB 3.0 to Gbit Ethernet?  Was it plugged into a USB 3.0 port, or the USB 2.0 port of the Amazon Fire Cube?
It's a USB 3.0 gigabit USB ethernet hub. No longer available on Amazon, but it's available on eBay for $13 or less. Plugged into the USB 2.0 port; there is no 3.0 port. 2.0 has a theoretical bandwidth of 480Mbps.

I spoke too soon about FTV Cube however... I'm getting audio out-of-synch with everything w/Kodi 20 Sad. Wonder if it's related to the discussion here.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
sucks @hdmkv maybe v21 for us cube people then...

i just made the realization that this thread was asking about the shield and its been hijacked by cube users... sorry about that...
(2023-02-06, 22:28)hdmkv Wrote: I spoke too soon about FTV Cube however... I'm getting audio out-of-synch with everything w/Kodi 20 Sad. Wonder if it's related to the discussion here.

That's weird, I'm still using Leia on my Fire Cube, and have no issues with audio sync.  Never had a reason to update that beyond Leia 18.6.  I updated my Intel NUC version to the MVC branch of Nexus v20.0, and I have some issues with it occasionally loosing audio when waking from sleep.  Restarting KODI usually fixes the problem, but no audio sync problems.
(2023-02-06, 23:09)jepsizofye Wrote: sucks @hdmkv maybe v21 for us cube people then...

i just made the realization that this thread was asking about the shield and its been hijacked by cube users... sorry about that...

You're right, most of the posts I made were not FireCube specific though, rather they were addressing the 100Mbit vs Gbit vs WiFi performance.  Maybe we should move this out to its own thread.
oops spoke out of my lane, whatever you think is best
im a lowly volunteer so ill stick to my lane

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is the Shield Pro still the most feature complete hardware for Kodi?0