• 6(current)
Android fire tv vs shield tv vs other boxes
(2023-03-06, 22:01)ontap Wrote: Thats good news , I wanted that confirming before I shelled out for a box , cheers.

right on, happy to help

its good information for myself as well
I'm just looking confirmation I tryed looking online but I can't find a straight answer that's why 🤷🏻‍♂️
when i bought mine i tried to plug one in formatted as NTFS, it did not work
i tried another formatted as ext4, it did not work
according to internet it does work

i dont work at amazon, i dont work on the FireOS project, i can only report what i have tried
Ok that's for the info 🙂
Thanks*
(2023-02-22, 23:36)clarkss12 Wrote: Thank you for your input.

I am running Emby and Plex servers on a Beelink GTR6 6900HX, which is connected to my media center.  I am running LibreELEC on a different mini PC, just for it's capabilities as a sever for my external hard drives.  It is down stairs and has external drives connected to it.

I have found that using the Beelink as a (Windows) media center (using plex or Emby) is just too cumbersome.  Right now, I have 7 devices connected to my Yamaha AVR and 3 devices connected to my Vizio TV, but my CoreELEC box is my go-to device for my media consumption.

I am curious about what you found cumbersome ?  I have a somewhat similar setup with a Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR, around 9 or so Kodi clients (mix of LibreElec, OSMC and Windows) on Vero 4K+, Raspberry Pi, Intel NUCs and Windows PC hardware.  As well as some non-Kodi clients like Android tablets, Samsung phones, web clients etc.  I landed on a Mezzmo solution which pretty much automates everything.  It is a Windows solution (i.e. no native NAS or Docker option) but I have it running fine on both raw hardware and a virtual machine. 

The hardware solution is primarily to support all of the media storage.  I went the build your own server route vs. NAS.  One thing about this type of solution is the connectivity to the clients moves to HTTP and Mezzmo handles proper buffering to the clients (based upon settings for the client).  I have found that can smooth out playback of high bitrate content (i.e. John Wick 2 UHD) on clients and  I don't need to run any advancedsettings.xml settings or SMB mounts on any client.  I also like having all artwork hosted centrally and only going to the Internet for new content scraping.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
when using a server solution such as mezzmo the library on the client side (kodi) is always setup and ready to go, no sources, scrapers, artwork, scanning, etc
(2023-03-07, 18:45)jepsizofye Wrote: when using a server solution such as mezzmo the library on the client side (kodi) is always setup and ready to go, no sources, scrapers, artwork, scanning, etc

I have never heard of Mezzmo, much less used it...  My biggest complaint of using a PC as my media player, is the input controller.  I have not found anything that is perfect for it.  I have a multitude of input devices, IR remotes, RF remotes, mini Keyboards, standard wireless keyboard and mouse, etc, but not very eloquent  to use for a PC connected to a TV.

Also, sometimes I don't get the HD audio codecs to passthrough, then back to trouble shooting.  Same for the HDR video codecs, sometimes they don't work, back to trouble shooting again.   Now that I am getting old and forgetting how to *** fix *** different issues, I am resorting to simplicity.  the KISS method (keep it simple stupid).

I have even begun to hate NAS's, because when they have issues, it is a pain to **** fix  **** them.   The best simple file server I have is a Beelink GS King X that supports two 16TBs drives internally.  It is an Android based device, and I am using CoreELEC on that device to make file sharing easier.  I would purchase another one, but they are no longer available.  

That is my story on why I do not use my Mini PC that is connected to my my setup, as a media center/player.  These cheap media players, are soooo much easier to use and from what I can tell do everything a HTPC can do, but much simpler.  Back in the olden days, a $10k PC running Windows 7, was the only way to watch your media, including watching live and recorded OTA television.  But those days are gone for me, I have moved on.
lol @clarkss12

im in the same camp for different reasons, i setup open media vault just to have a gui instead of console configuration just for the lack of want to "**** fix  ****" things and it didnt work, i still have to setup things in the console so i have a useless gui/web on a debian install

as far as minipc, youve got it exactly right its a pita for an x86_64 "desktop" to be as good as anything intended to be a media center, which is why libreelec and coreelec work so well, theyre designed to be

on the mezzmo/media server front, it helps me not fix things to use jellyfin but its the same concept as mezzmo, i have jellyfin setup in a docker, its completely reset friendly if things go wrong (as opposed to fixing it) and the config just carries over

with that i can setup coreelec, libreelec, kodi on anything and just install the addon for jellyfin and then the entire library is ready to go which makes kodi setups also reset friendly, no fixing

ive spent years in the fixing camps, "oh theres a new CVE and fix available for this? lets compile a new version. oh theres a security flaw in the kernel? lets compile a new version" and im over it, i just stick to stable branches and make everything reset friendly
A few years ago, I purchased a Zidoo X9S for the purpose of using the **built-in** "open media vault".  It was too complicated to setup for my simple little brain, so that was my last attempt of using "open media vault".

I believe Quickmic from the Emby forum has an addon similar to Jellyfin, if I am not mistaken.  I haven't used it in awhile, but it uses the information from the Emby server.  Saves Kodi from doing all of the media scrapping.
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/...x-support/

I used to be fluent in binary, octal, and hexadecimal.  Smile
(2023-03-07, 21:10)clarkss12 Wrote: A few years ago, I purchased a Zidoo X9S for the purpose of using the **built-in** "open media vault".  It was too complicated to setup for my simple little brain, so that was my last attempt of using "open media vault".

I believe Quickmic from the Emby forum has an addon similar to Jellyfin, if I am not mistaken.  I haven't used it in awhile, but it uses the information from the Emby server.  Saves Kodi from doing all of the media scrapping.

same idea, make a server do all the work 1 time

and i used to be fluent in basic on dos haha, i can still get some assembly (32bit asm) work done but its less useful these days

my brain still reads hex as plain text when i see a urlencoded string
(2023-03-07, 21:51)jepsizofye Wrote:
(2023-03-07, 21:10)clarkss12 Wrote: A few years ago, I purchased a Zidoo X9S for the purpose of using the **built-in** "open media vault".  It was too complicated to setup for my simple little brain, so that was my last attempt of using "open media vault".

same idea, make a server do all the work 1 time

and i used to be fluent in basic on dos haha, i can still get some assembly (32bit asm) work done but its less useful these days

my brain still reads hex as plain text when i see a urlencoded string

Unless I am mistaken, IP addresses are in Hex.
they are, 255=FF, 00-FF, localhost=7F000001 and so on
(2023-03-07, 22:11)jepsizofye Wrote: they are, 255=FF, 00-FF, localhost=7F000001 and so on

I love hex..  That way, I know it can never be the letter "O", only the number zero.
@clarkss12   I might have missed it if you have already said , but what exactly is your "CoreELEC box ?
I worded this badly , I mean which android box are you using to run coreelec on?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fire tv vs shield tv vs other boxes0