• 4(current)
Android fire tv vs shield tv vs other boxes
(2023-02-22, 02:13)ontap Wrote: So when you say CEC is working but the FTV remote you are using isn't turning off the box , is it turning off the TV ? That would be OK for me I assume the box will go into low powered sleep mode anyway ?
the HK1 connected to the cube-gen3, gen3 is configured to CEC.

when i hit the power button on the remote controlling the gen-3 everything turned off, the tv, gen3 and the HK1 but then i was stuck because it wouldnt turn the HK1 back on (it turned the tv and gen3 back on only)
then i had to grab the remote that came with the HK1 to get it back

i looked like coreelec just went to sleep though, it popped right back on no problem without any boot procedure, might be configurable.

----

EDIT:

i can get the HK1 turned back on when changing to it from sources, it must be how the remote is connected via bluetooth.
ill probably find a way to make it always-on and avoid all that, playback and navigation works good over CEC so thats really what i care about
HDR10, HDR10+, HLG on my tv - coreelec doesnt support DV

GPU and CPU temps both staying at 70C i guess its fine

still this is far more impressive than i expected, so, if on a budget and you buy a cheap chinese android box for-go the android side and just put coreelec

----

inputstream adaptive working with widevine, watching slyguy.hulu on it right now. level 3 means itll get the minimum quality from services.
script.module.slyguy - Widevine Level (fallback): 3
(2023-02-22, 01:24)jepsizofye Wrote: ...i was able to pair my old firetv cube remote to it in coreelec via bluetooth relatively easy
the remote that came with it does not work out of the box with coreelec, there should be some easy config to do
since i had to do something anyway i just went for my old one as its more comfortable to me anyway...

It's preprogrammed for some popular remotes. Best one is any mce remote. Almost all universal remotes have microsoft mce in there somewhere. So you can buy a 8$ universal remote and put in the code for microsoft mce and it will work. 

mce remotes are pretty cheap online too.
right on
i found a video from the same guy who did the review video i posted regarding the remote, way after the fact lol - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE-UFNDvjHo
im impetuous sometimes
Spot on that video.
more testing

everyone's favorite high bitrate movie john wick 2 is playing flawlessly with dolby atmos passthrough

its playing from jellyfin, configured playback to direct instead of addon because using addon would cause it to crash after awhile (a jellyfin problem, not kodi/coreelec/amlogic or the new device)

(if you dont use jellyfin ignore the last note)

used the keymap editor to make things work a little better over cec
long press not working over cec to bring up context menu so i remapped the actual menu button on the remote to the context menu
i remapped the back button to stop in full screen video per my own preference
to note, the cec button numbers and the actual remote (that is controlling the box directly) button numbers are not at all the same so overriding functionality from one either changes or breaks the other

as far as the box shutting off and unable to use cec to bring it back
i changed the setting in system for shutdown function, changed "Shutdown" to "Suspend" and everything is copacetic

i dont think there is anything else for me to test here, its all pretty solid - call me impressed
Thanks , appreciate the info.
no worries, i enjoy this sort of thing
(2023-02-22, 21:22)jepsizofye Wrote: no worries, i enjoy this sort of thing

In summation, how would you rate your CoreELEC box with your PC media player? 
I have several devices connected to my entertainment center, including a mini PC, but the vast majority of my media playback is with my CE box.
i want to qualify my response so i can change my mind later, since ive only used coreelec for less than a day...

rating coreelec against my android experience with the kodi app, coreelec is 100% better
rating coreelec vs my previous libreelec experience on an hp elite mini, the mini wins but by a narrow margin, i'd say coreelec is at least 90+% as good if not 95%, its getting closer to 100% but the mini was able to do more than kodi in the same box
its been ages since i ran kodi from a simple pc so i cant compare
i have zero comparisons for shield or windows as ive never used those but given this little box is as good as it is and my total spend was $75 i would say this is the better deal over a shield (which has a lot of threads in the support section regarding problems)

conversely im also using the native jellyfin app on the firetv gen3, it "works" with the native player and i can get DV but thats the only thing JF has over coreelec
coreelec has so much over jellyfin that coreelec wins that round too (jellyfin has some ways to go where kodi is already there)

EDIT:

only referring to jellyfin client above, jellyfin as a server is still excellent and serves all my devices from the hp elite mini
Thank you for your input.

I am running Emby and Plex servers on a Beelink GTR6 6900HX, which is connected to my media center.  I am running LibreELEC on a different mini PC, just for it's capabilities as a sever for my external hard drives.  It is down stairs and has external drives connected to it.

I have found that using the Beelink as a (Windows) media center (using plex or Emby) is just too cumbersome.  Right now, I have 7 devices connected to my Yamaha AVR and 3 devices connected to my Vizio TV, but my CoreELEC box is my go-to device for my media consumption.
right on sounds like a good setup - i use jellyfin because itll do live transcoding for my tablets and phone as well as keep a nice continue watching and library management is good too

jellyfin is running in a docker if youre curious to try it out, the new coreelec box is recieving via the jellyfin addon so it also has the advantage of the unified library (transcoding is disabled for this though)
small update

i was running into an occasional stutter, once or twice a movie on large-high bitrate rips so i did what i do best and applied the hammer.
changed cache in advanced settings, readfactor 20, memorysize 512M (set in bytes of course) and buffermode 1 to buffer all
its ironed out all the little stutters, system free memory still stays between 1.5GB-2GB or more

ive also tested it with a VC-1 rip and it played through flawlessly
with tone mapping and various other things this generic android box has gone from a toy to full time use - recommend
(2023-03-01, 23:10)jepsizofye Wrote: with tone mapping and various other things this generic android box has gone from a toy to full time use - recommend

Better than your PC for media consumption, due to simplicity?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fire tv vs shield tv vs other boxes0