Thumbnails
Hello,

can someone pleeeeaaase add a thumbnails quality setting to Kodi? The thumbnails folder grows extremely large and i constantly run ito problems on my firestick. Please add a simple slider or something to choose something between 'high quality/large files' and 'low quality/small files'.
I absolutely do not mind a reduction in quality if that keeps Kodi working. Actually, I ran a ffmpeg-script on my thumbnails-folder and thus reduced it by half (and at least for my aging eyes the quality reduction was still more or less invisible when viewed from the sofa), but it grows pretty quickly again (I suspect Kodi rebuilds the thumbs constantly?)

So please add this option. It's a single integer, can't be that complicated (I think...)

Thanks for listening.
Adjust your artwork settings here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Videos#Artwork
Use the Basic mode.

Adjust image sizing in advancedsettings.xml file here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings....ry_artwork
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
wow, I never noticed these, thank you, I will check it out. Stupid of me, sorry.
hey, the 'imagequalityjpeg' setting in the advancedsettings - is this a singular entry that i just add anywhere or does it go into the <cache> subsection?
Under <videolibrary>

Using <imageres>9999</imageres> and <fanartres>9999</fanartres> will allow caching artwork at original size.

advancedsettings.xml (wiki)
No, not under <videolibrary> These are stand alone items.

xml:
<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<imageres>9999</imageres>
<fanartres>9999</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
thank you all very much, i could bring the size of the thumbnails-folder down, now I have to see how much it will grow during the coming weeks...
(2023-02-18, 20:16)Karellen Wrote: No, not under <videolibrary> These are stand alone items.
Correct my error, I was looking at the wiki through coloured glasses Smile
(2023-02-19, 01:00)vonson Wrote: thank you all very much, i could bring the size of the thumbnails-folder down, now I have to see how much it will grow during the coming weeks...

You can use an otg cable to split the USB port to power and a USB slot, attach a thumb drive to it, then use path substitutions in the advancedsettings.xml file to point Kodi to the thumb drive for thumbnail storage.

Mine looks like:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute><from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>/storage/85E6-18F2/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Where the alphanumeric string after /storage/ is the unique id of your thumb drive, which you can readily find by using X-plore file explorer app on the firestick.

It works great and you won't have to worry about this issue ever again
Hi,

sorry, I did not notice your reply. Yes, I tried an USB drive via OTG cable, and while it works it slows down the loading of the thumbnails significantly.

The 'imagequalityjpeg' parameter works great for me, I am quite happy with it. I do not really understand why such a setting is not included in the GUI, but since it is more or less a set-and-forget setting I see some sense in having it in the advancedsettings.xml.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnails0