Accessibility features you like to include?
Question for skinners - are there any accessability features that you like to include in your skin? I've added a couple so far (detailed below) but would like to add more if there are any that I'm missing. Trying to think of if there are others it would be good to incorporate. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences.

- Theme (I added a high contrast light and dark themes to try and ensure good readability in any light environment)
- Ability to choose accent colour (as I am colour-blind, I really struggled finding a colour that complements any possible artwork. In the end, I decided to let the use choose their own colour.
- Based on the accent colour, I have a little equation that works out whether white or black would be higher contrast when I need to have something like a number or a checkmark on top of the accent colour)
- Video playback: Hide progress bar on pause (so they don't obscure subtitles).
One thing that I've always wanted (but have been told is not possible) is the ability to toggle the visibility of the progress bar when a video is playing by pressing the Play button.

A lot of times I want to see how much time is left in a video but not want to pause it as that disrupts the flow of watching the video. My preference for this happening on pressing the Play button (instead of a different button) is that that was how Windows Media Center had it and I really enjoyed that functionality. Having multiple instances of Kodi around my house and different remotes for each setup, I know exactly where the play button is on each remote, so assigning this functionality to a different button for each remote is not ideal.
Doesn't the OK button pull up the video OSD containing that information? That button should be fairly easy to find on any remote you're using...
OSMC Skinner      |    The OSMC Skin for Kodi v20 Nexus (native 16:9, 21:9 and 4:3 skin, special cinemascope/CIH version available)      |     GitHub: https://github.com/Ch1llb0/skin.osmc
Essentially I'm looking to toggle the progress bar with one button.

Pressing OK brings up the full OSD (with Play, Pause, FF, Rew, etc.) instead of just the progress bar so I wouldn't be able to press OK again to get rid of it. Since that OSD doesn't hide after a specified time, I have to find the Back button in order to get rid of the full OSD which is kind of cumbersome when all I want to do is quickly toggle the visibility of the progress bar without the additional Play/Pause/FF/Rew buttons available on the screen. At that point it is easier for me to press pause and then pause again but that tends to wreck the flow of watching something.
I understand. Then doesn't the info dialog show the progress bar using most skins as well? That way you only need the info button (prominent on most remotes as well) to show and hide it...
OSMC Skinner      |    The OSMC Skin for Kodi v20 Nexus (native 16:9, 21:9 and 4:3 skin, special cinemascope/CIH version available)      |     GitHub: https://github.com/Ch1llb0/skin.osmc
Yeah the Info button has that covered already.
1. Maybe a very BOLD font... I know you can zoom Kodi but just a option to have a Bold font without the zoom, and maybe kind of large... Just an idea

2. Change color of selected buttons in the skin/ currently where the cursor is. or a border around whatever is selected to make it stand out..
Titan Bingie Mod
Ultimately the Info button on remotes doesn't quite stand out as much as the Play/Pause buttons do. It's usually grouped with 3 or 4 other buttons of the same size and location and varies widely from remote to remote. 

Apologies to @realcopacetic for asking a question that he already responded to in a different thread I posted last year about this (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=370598). I've been working on a new skin and with the amount of different things I've been trying to figure out I forgot that I already asked this.

I have additional questions about it but I will move that discussion over there.

Thanks
@Doctor Eggs  - probably the easiest way is to press OK like @Chillbo said but add an autoclose function to the osd so it only displays for X seconds. OK is also the most prominent button on all the modern remotes I've seen. If you're on Nexus, the documentation for skintimers has this explicit example: https://xbmc.github.io/docs.kodi.tv/mast...imers.html

But you can also do it with a custom window. The below window will become visible when videoosd or musicosd is visible and has been idle for 3 seconds. Once the window becomes visible, it closes the any dialog open ontop of the videoplayer. So basically it closes videoosd after 3 seconds if you don't press anything

xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<window type="dialog" id="1108">
  <visible>System.IdleTime(3) + [Window.IsVisible(videoosd) | Window.IsVisible(musicosd)] + !Window.IsVisible(subtitlesearch)</visible>
  <onload condition="Window.IsVisible(videoosd) | Window.IsVisible(musicosd) | Window.IsVisible(seekbar)">Dialog.Close(all)</onload>
  <zorder>0</zorder>
  <controls/>
</window>
Many of my accessibility features are the same as you (e.g. colour selections) - though I gave up on a light theme awhile ago.

I realised a while ago that I spend the majority of my time actually watching things, so I focused a lot of effort in Arctic Horizon 2 on improving videoosd accessibility features. There's lots of features that I've added to the osd that improve my viewing experience considerably.

I've got automatic pop-up dialogs on my right side buttons of the OSD that allow for quick switching of audio/subs streams without needing to click into the settings. Then the video settings button pop-up allows quickly changing tempo and clicking the codecs brings up player process info.

I also added some quick lists that are accessible by pressing down from the OSD. There's quick access to the current playlist and bookmarks/chapters (or for PVR channel guide and EPG). On the other side of the buttons is a quick access to cast info. Focusing the movies/tvshows icons under the cast member shows other movies/shows they're in. Clicking the cast member opens their info.

And the final thing I can't live without - Wikipedia browser. An up-press from the info button opens a wikipedia search with terms related to the current movie. I often find myself in the middle of the movie wondering about production of the movie or an actor's history etc., so this is perfect for annoying everyone else watching Wink

Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
@jurialmunkey

I take it you have the WIKI info kind of set up the same as video info, or extendedinfo but just pulling from wiki? I really like that feature and never thought about adding it to my skin
Titan Bingie Mod
That's very cool @jurialmunkey thanks for sharing, although there are members of my household who can never be allowed to know that such Wikipedia access exists for my own sanity, haha.
(2023-02-22, 08:48)AchillesPunks Wrote: @jurialmunkey

I take it you have the WIKI info kind of set up the same as video info, or extendedinfo but just pulling from wiki? I really like that feature and never thought about adding it to my skin
It's a scripted window in tmdbhelper v5 which functions similar to extendedinfo.

https://github.com/jurialmunkey/plugin.v.../Wikipedia

The setup is simple - theres a list which acts as table of contents (buttons on left). Change focus updates a textbox and image control. Clicking a section opens a select dialog of links.
(2023-02-22, 13:29)realcopacetic Wrote: That's very cool @jurialmunkey thanks for sharing, although there are members of my household who can never be allowed to know that such Wikipedia access exists for my own sanity, haha.

Yes I'm very much that person that annoys everyone now by constantly pausing the movie to look things up...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessibility features you like to include?0