Can't access LibreElec on Rpi4
(2023-02-25, 22:23)jepsizofye Wrote: anyway, @tinpanalley configuring the built in smb server should allow you to directly mount the pi to windows as drive letters
I do have SMB shares active on my desktop but it's only to give my Rpi/Kodi access to my video folders. Didn't occur to me to use it to see the Rpi in File Explorer. So then why would that be better than Filezilla?
(2023-02-25, 22:26)jepsizofye Wrote: in this instance, the use of a linux desktop to manage another linux operating system (libreelec) is very much relevant
Yes, of course, I can understand why one OS to the same OS on another device would be beneficial. The problem is, first of all, live installs on usb flash drives are fidgety, laggy, inconvenient and take a reasonably long time to set up to just use for one application. In my opinion. Other than for seeing a physical representation of a distro I've never found them to be of use in anything other than extreme scenarios. Got me out of a jam with an unresponsive hdd once. I just didn't think this was one of those scenarios that's all. But I think the point @MatteN is trying to make is that it does tend to be a common thing that people assume you have a linux laptop sitting on a shelf to use whenever any Rpi stuff needs fixing.

(2023-02-25, 22:55)jepsizofye Wrote: things that can be done in 1-2 commands on linux arent even possible on windows
...sorry to be a pain, but, as a Windows user who has spent 10 years trying various times to get into linux, this is only true IF you know what those commands are. When your brain doesn't work naturally in the "I can command my way out of this issue" way, it isn't as obvious or natural to think that. Most people, even people relatively good with computers wanna use their computer, fix a few light things here or there, follow tutorials to get their printer back on their network and that's about that.

Ok, done creating tangents on my own post.
on the other side windows users also assume everyone else is using windows...

none of that matters to the issue at hand honestly, im not going to concern myself with what other people want to use

back on topic, yes i do believe that using the smb server on the pi to allow windows to map shares from pi would be a far better solution than filezilla because smb is native and filezilla is... whatever filezilla is
(2023-02-26, 00:13)jepsizofye Wrote: on the other side windows users also assume everyone else is using windows...
Fair point.
I don't want to have to create a whole thread for this but does anyone happen to know how I'm supposed to know what the ids of the different keys on my remote/controller are for Kodi? Is there some tool that can read them live as a press them?
And also on the other side, it's best to ask specific questions about LibreELEC on the LibreELEC forum.
(2023-02-26, 00:40)tinpanalley Wrote: ... Is there some tool that can read them live as a press them?
keymap editor will do that - https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor
(2023-02-26, 00:05)tinpanalley Wrote:
(2023-02-25, 22:55)jepsizofye Wrote: things that can be done in 1-2 commands on linux arent even possible on windows
...sorry to be a pain, but, as a Windows user who has spent 10 years trying various times to get into linux, this is only true IF you know what those commands are. When your brain doesn't work naturally in the "I can command my way out of this issue" way, it isn't as obvious or natural to think that. Most people, even people relatively good with computers wanna use their computer, fix a few light things here or there, follow tutorials to get their printer back on their network and that's about that.

Ok, done creating tangents on my own post.
(read the following in monotone as if narrated by james earl jones)

i dont feel you are being a pain

yes i can command and reverse engineer my way out of most anything on a pc, only because ive spent the last 30 years learning to do so.
if i were to use only the knowledge available at the time when i started using computers i would still be using a 300 baud modem to dial up bbs systems on my commodore

it takes years and i understand not everyone is in the same place i am, even with my experience i am still not in the same place others are
(2023-02-26, 00:42)Klojum Wrote: And also on the other side, it's best to ask specific questions about LibreELEC on the LibreELEC forum.

Sure, I just thought it was relevant that this was on a Raspberry Pi because the issue could be hardware specific rather than software specific. My bad.
(2023-02-26, 00:05)tinpanalley Wrote: But I think the point @MatteN is trying to make is that it does tend to be a common thing that people assume you have a linux laptop sitting on a shelf to use whenever any Rpi stuff needs fixing.

Not only that, most people dont have the experience with linuxcommands as Linux has a marketshare of less than 1,5% in operatingsystems.
(2023-02-26, 16:08)MatteN Wrote: most people dont have the experience with linuxcommands as Linux has a marketshare of less than 1,5% in operatingsystems.

That depends on what flavor of Linux you're looking at...
There are the various Ubuntu variants, Debian, Arch, RedHat, etcetera.
Android is a Linux flavored operating system, and plenty of people use it on there phones.
Apple's iOS is a Linux clone of some sorts, and lots of people use that.
And then there are the various Linux server solutions.

Granted, using/typing commands on phones is rare, but not impossible. Yet Linux is a little more widespread than just your 1.5% in personal deskcomputing.
(2023-02-26, 17:45)MatteN Wrote: ...
sharing a market share graph that is hosted on a linux server to a forum that is hosted on linux while using an internet connection managed by linux in order to show windows is better isnt actually helping your point...

(the market share information was probably also gathered by linux servers as well but thats just speculation)
Ok, Windows at 76% and Linux-based operating systems at 5% (i.e. "desktop Linux" at 2.6%)
From wikipedia.
(2023-02-26, 20:14)MatteN Wrote: Ok, Windows at 76% and Linux-based operating systems at 5% (i.e. "desktop Linux" at 2.6%)
From wikipedia.
i dont know why you care so much about this...

the point made was using the appropriate tool for what youre working on
"When driving in a nail - use a hammer, when inserting a screw - use a drill"
there was no talk of one thing being better than the other until you showed up into the raspberry pi section (which only has linux offerings) complaining about linux users

im not over in the windows section telling you how using linux would be better
Okay kids, enough chatter about Linux's market shares. We've all had our fun.
Either get back on topic or a lock on the thread is gonna be appropriate.
Ok, so as much as I find the conversation interesting, I just want to say for any future people searching that forcing a new password into LibreElec/Kodi allowed me in. It was only then however that I realised that while ssh is now working, what I really needed to work was Filezilla's SSH tool to FTP files to the Pi. The Pi is now running the edits to xml files I wanted to run but unfortunately the keyboard remote I bought sucks and I am now waiting for a different one to arrive so I can't really even play with the key reassignment that I did all this for in the first place. Nevertheless it did allow me to add some other edits I have to the on screen display while viewing a video. 
Thanks for everyone's help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't access LibreElec on Rpi40