Help with controller on LibreElec
Hi,

My scenario:
Using LibreElec for car stereo (all that working fine, for the purposes of this post).
It should be noted, I have NO EXERIENCE tampering with controller/joystick .xml (I do know how to edit the files, however, with Notepad++). I am completely clueless about naming conventions within the files (containers, etc.)

I want to add a button box for physical controls; driving and trying to hit a specific area of touchscreen is not an option; hard buttons (and vol/navigation knob) needed.
I have two options to pursue, the first being easier and cleaner:

I have a USB volume knob that works great to plug-in and control volume and mute.
  1. At the least, I want to change the behavior of the mute to "Play/Pause"
  2. Even better, I would change the behavior of the three functions VolUp, VolDown, Mute to change depending on screen: up/down/select when navigtating, volup/voldown/pause when player is on screen
  3. Even best, I would do the Even Better option, plus add LongPress and ExLongPress to mute (or stop) and 'back', respectively.
  4. Even bester, I would add "reboot" to ExtraSuperLongPress
  5. The joystick wiki talks about adding duration to press comands for LongPress "in the future". Has this been implemented? It seems to enable everything best and bester.
  6. Where do I locate the .xml for the volume knob? It's a plug-and-play USB knob, and I've needed to do no config to get it to work in Kodi for volume controls. I assume it's being used at the OS level, and if so, how do I get Kodi to recognize it as input
  7. I really like this option, if workable, as It gives me one single godknob, which is cleaner from a design standpoint. I have little real estate to attach hardware controls around the touchscreen on the dash. A single godknob is easy, space-wise. More knobs/buttons would necessitate having a remote box; doable, but longer to develop. 
Option B is a button-box based on a USB Zero Delay board.
  1. I'd love to be able to use rotary encoders with this board, one for volume and one for menu navigation, but am not sure this is possible. Probably going to cook the board figuring it out, and Google only has info on joysticks and buttons with this board, not rotary encoders (the board is advertised as an "encoder", so any searches with the term added don't understand to add Rotary Encoder as a need)
  2. When I plug the board into LibreElec, I don't see any indication that I've added a controller. Is there a generic controller profile (or better yet a Zero Delay profile) somewhere I can aquire?
  3. I also have a couple Leonardo (Pro Micro?) boards, but my initial stabs at configuration have been difficult to be recognized by Windows with MMJoy2. I haven't tried on Pi, as the setup is hard enough to get to navigate on a normal sized computer with GUI (unlike LibreElec).
Any advice on the above?

Thanks, 
Erik
Kodi Matrix on Raspberry Pi4 4GB Libreelec - Gigabit Ethernet - Served from unRaid shares
Estuary skin - Netflix plug-in (CastagnalT) - Amazon Video Plug-in

Kodi Matrix on Pi4 in the car with USB storage and Mausberry 4A Power supply w/safe shutdown - HiFiBerry Digi+ optical out to Alpine PXA-800
Ok, I guess that was a lot to take in...

I'll settle for:
"Where do I locate the .xml for the volume knob? It's a plug-and-play USB knob, and I've needed to do no config to get it to work in Kodi for volume controls. I assume it's being used at the OS level, and if so, how do I get Kodi to recognize it as input"
Kodi Matrix on Raspberry Pi4 4GB Libreelec - Gigabit Ethernet - Served from unRaid shares
Estuary skin - Netflix plug-in (CastagnalT) - Amazon Video Plug-in

Kodi Matrix on Pi4 in the car with USB storage and Mausberry 4A Power supply w/safe shutdown - HiFiBerry Digi+ optical out to Alpine PXA-800
whats this? car audio? libreelec? volume knobs? raspberries? sounds like voodoo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with controller on LibreElec0