Information Dolby Vision and Kodi, what's the deal?
Dolby Vision on Kodi Windows builds is simply not possible, and has been explained many times.
perfect now we have an official answer addition to this thread, thanks

me saying yes or no is pointless as im not part of the project
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=kodi+wind...lby+vision

After explaining the same thing multiple times my frustration got the better of me.
youre fine i dont actually care enough to be offended

i started this thread to put as much information in 1 place as possible and if you look i have been doing a massive amount of research
(2023-03-12, 18:58)jepsizofye Wrote: in the interim are these players able to be set via External Players for Kodi to be able to pass on the relevant content
perhaps using a rule filename=".*DoVi.*" or such depending on your own naming conventions

I managed to do just that. See solution on this thread
Life is short, I don't have time for squabbles. Lets be friends, lets enjoy Kodi :)
right on @TimeZone

i think that just about covers the most popular

Kodi on AppleTV is something different entirely, not sure it's even in the running for Dolby Vision

Linux based boxes are going to suffer the same thing as coreelec and possibly worse because linux is the step child nobody making firmware cares about
fun fact: albeit currently in early alpha stage, kodi on webos, which is linux based, already supports DV
(2023-04-25, 15:26)wsnipex Wrote: fun fact: albeit currently in early alpha stage, kodi on webos, which is linux based, already supports DV
And where's my download link? :-D
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
with the other nightlies :-) https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/webos/master/

Passthrough in Windows requires OS support (not available) but decoding and displaying as PQ was done in other projects and is likely doable. "Just" needs someone with the right skills and motivation.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2023-04-26, 06:04)CrystalP Wrote: Passthrough in Windows requires OS support (not available) but decoding and displaying as PQ was done in other projects and is likely doable. "Just" needs someone with the right skills and motivation.

Thanks for WebOS link (I searched in the "Other" category under support, didn't think about nightlies, my bad).

As far as DV decoded and displayed as PQ, could you expand on this a little? Would it make use of DV dynamic adjustments?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
It would apply dynamic metadata yes. It would likely require new settings for min/max brightness of the screen, unless that can be obtained reliably from the EDID.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
(2023-07-12, 18:34)CrystalP Wrote: It would apply dynamic metadata yes. It would likely require new settings for min/max brightness of the screen, unless that can be obtained reliably from the EDID.
You are talking about what VLC does, right? I remember finding some development on VLC regarding DV.
Don't know about VLC, maybe. I think it originated in mpv.
(2023-10-11, 20:32)allenfb Wrote: maybe you should first checkout and read microsoft & even dolby T&C to have a better insight of first copy bags and dolby vision

even if kodi supports dolby vision on windows it still requires a licensed device which most people do not have - the only one i know for sure is a surface laptop/tablet thing

so, it is really not worth the time spent trying to add functionality that only 1 device can use

and your link is broken
(2023-10-11, 20:39)izprtxqkft Wrote: even if kodi supports dolby vision on windows it still requires a licensed device which most people do not have - 
Nope, required special driver licence to some limited device.

The only PC with DV support is asus Vivobook Slate (T3300), and i think DV work only with Vod app like netflix.
And Surface Pro 9.

PC game use video card driver for DV, not windows support.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Vision and Kodi, what's the deal?0