Android Connection tv antennas to kodi 4 live tv (uk)
Video 
Forgive me if this information is available but i didnt find it.

Goal:
to connect my tv Ariel\antenna (free hd uk tv signals) to kodi so i can watch tv on that instead of the normal tv interface.

Hardwear and software setup in use:
Sony bravia (2019) Android smart tv. A standard HD antenna receiver.

Installed: kodi 20.1 directly on android tv. (No firesticks or boxes)

Extra context:
Kodi works great for me. I use it a lot. But i never understood how to funnel the antenna tv signals to kodi to see a populated tv guide etc. The antenna works fine in receiving tv signals for the tv in a normal way to watch UK broadcasting tv using the pre installed stuff shipped with the sony tv.

Do I need additional hardware or software so kodi talks to my antenna?
One online link sent me to a hdhomerun hardware , but i dont want to buy hardware if its unnecessary.

Note: I understand iptv apps well and how to install add-ons extra through different sources. I just dont know whats needed for this connection.

Im sure its simple once you know how right?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome @Feedmyeyes 

Kodi will not be able to access the built in antenna on your Android TV set. In fact, even if it could you would still need to utilise server backend software to use PVR within Kodi. Kodi is client software.

So you would need a device such as the HD Homerun or similar and feed your antenna signal to that then link that up to your Kodi client. 

IPTV is a different beast that can utilise freely available legitimate media streams and consolidate those, often with an EPG, using Kodi. Have a look at IPTV Simple Client for Kodi. Just be careful - although there are quite a few legit legal streams you can use, many of these "providers" you can find being advertised bundle pirated streams. We don't discuss or support those on this forum.

There are many hardware and software options / combinations being discussed in this sub-forum that should be able to offer you a solution that suits your needs so have a bit of a browse of those threads. Good luck.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Hello, and thanks for the speedy informative reply.

This does confirm my suspicions of how it would setup. And as a result isnt something I need especially with those hdhomerun units running up to £159 on amazon; and further more, as mentioned, iptv functionality is simple, cheaper and accessable (depending on subscriptions).

At least im more wise on this for future.
(2023-03-15, 12:54)Feedmyeyes Wrote: Hello, and thanks for the speedy informative reply.

This does confirm my suspicions of how it would setup. And as a result isnt something I need especially with those hdhomerun units running up to £159 on amazon; and further more, as mentioned, iptv functionality is simple, cheaper and accessable (depending on subscriptions).

At least im more wise on this for future.

Here's a current thread regarding using HDHomeRun tuners with Kodi and such.  It might help, as well as the SiliconDust support forums are great.  I am a longtime owner of their tuners.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connection tv antennas to kodi 4 live tv (uk)0