Scraping music from FTP source
I've set up an FTP server on my Windows 10 desktop. I've added it as a source on a 2017 Nvidia Shield at my partner's house so we can watch and listen to content from my library remotely. I've scraped all of my video folders, and everything plays beautifully, even 4k HDR/DV remux rips. Terrific video quality, no stuttering, buffering is less than a second when seeking, etc.

Now, when I try to scrape music to my library, it fails almost every single time. Sometimes it even crashes Kodi completely. I'm able to scrape individual album folders, but I have a sizeable library and I'd like to be able to scrape it all at once. When I try to scrape a folder, Kod will display "Loading media information from files... [ftp://source-bla-bla-bla/directory-with-music/]... 0%", then it just stops, or crashes Kodi entirely.

One solution I've found is opening MyMusic82.db in a database editor, and changing the path of every file from smb://localhost to ftp://remotehost. It works, but it's kind of a pain in the ass.

This isn't a bandwidth issue. I have a 1.5/1 Gbps connection, and like I said, massive movie files play without issue.

Is there a better way I could be doing this? Is it possible to access my library remotely, and have any changes reflect on both installs? I've tried this on a mid-range Windows 10 Asus laptop, a 2017 Nvidia Shield and an HD Chromecast with Google TV.
This is happening with 19.0, 19.5, 20 and 20.1.

Edit: Forgot to include the logs.
(2023-03-15, 15:44)DiscoRage Wrote: Edit: Forgot to include the logs.
That is not a log, that is a 9 lines of a log. Useless.
Provide the entire log that captures the scraping.

Have you fully tagged your music files? Music is not like the video library. The music library is created from the embedded tags. Scraping just adds some additional info.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Useless? Wow, alright.

Here's EVERY line from the moment I started the scrape until the program crashed.

I'm curious, could a complex password be causing this problem? My password has multiple special characters.

And yes, it's all tagged properly. I was part of the Efnet music scene in the 2000s, so I've always been obsessively meticulous about how things are tagged.
(2023-03-16, 05:50)DiscoRage Wrote: Here's EVERY line from the moment I started the scrape until the program crashed.
14 lines??
But looks like a file system access problem.
I don't use ftp, so I won't be much help.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-03-16, 05:50)DiscoRage Wrote: Here's EVERY line from the moment I started the scrape until the program crashed.

What's your problem about not providing the full, uncut log file?
You want us to fix your car, but we can only open the engine cover for a centimeter or two?
It doesn't work that way.
(2023-03-16, 10:19)Klojum Wrote:

You want us to fix your car, but we can only open the engine cover for a centimeter or two?

No problem providing the full log. I just thought it would be more efficient to only provide what I figured was pertinent. My job involves people giving me way more information than needed, so it's a force of habit.  Laugh

Here's the full log. Thanks for having a look.
(2023-03-16, 14:18)DiscoRage Wrote:
(2023-03-16, 10:19)Klojum Wrote:

No problem providing the full log. I just thought it would be more efficient to only provide what I figured was pertinent. My job involves people giving me way more information than needed, so it's a force of habit.  Laugh

Looks like it's just not able to connect to the FTP server at all.  Can you verify that your credentials are correct?  Can you manually navigate to the files within Kodi?
(2023-03-16, 15:18)NeoCortex Wrote:
(2023-03-16, 14:18)DiscoRage Wrote:
(2023-03-16, 10:19)Klojum Wrote: What's your problem about not providing the full, uncut log file?

Looks like it's just not able to connect to the FTP server at all.  Can you verify that your credentials are correct?  Can you manually navigate to the files within Kodi?

I'm positive the credentials are correct. I'm able to browse the files, and I was able to scrape and play back movies and TV shows without issue.

Someone on Reddit is suggesting using an FTP server isn't very secure, so I might go with Plex for Kodi. I wasn't aware that you can still use the Kodi interface with Plex as a source. After all the modifications I've made to my skin, I'd like to be able to continue using it instead of the Plex interface, which I'm not crazy about.
if youre going the media server route look into jellyfin, it's the free open source version of emby and works quite well with the kodi addon

the error about PASV seems to indicate your ftp server does not support PASV but i dont know what it is to say for sure

but in general FTP is about as old as using DCC so something newer won't hurt at all
(2023-03-16, 17:14)DiscoRage Wrote: Someone on Reddit is suggesting using an FTP server isn't very secure, so I might go with Plex for Kodi. I wasn't aware that you can still use the Kodi interface with Plex as a source. After all the modifications I've made to my skin, I'd like to be able to continue using it instead of the Plex interface, which I'm not crazy about.

A possible solution for your problem is also the combination of jellyfin server and kodi.  
look here:
https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/clients/kodi/
yes thats what i was suggesting @Fuchs2468
(2023-03-16, 18:14)jepsizofye Wrote: yes thats what i was suggesting @Fuchs2468

I overlooked it, but double is better. Smile
cant go wrong with 2 recommending the same thing. im very pleased with my jellyfin especially in a multi device multi platform environment. my media is always available and resume-able  Smile
(2023-03-16, 17:58)Fuchs2468 Wrote:
(2023-03-16, 17:14)DiscoRage Wrote: Someone on Reddit is suggesting using an FTP server isn't very secure, so I might go with Plex for Kodi. I wasn't aware that you can still use the Kodi interface with Plex as a source. After all the modifications I've made to my skin, I'd like to be able to continue using it instead of the Plex interface, which I'm not crazy about.

A possible solution for your problem is also the combination of jellyfin server and kodi.  
look here:
https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/clients/kodi/
I'm playing around with Jellyfin. It looks promising, but is there any way to bypass all of this server nonsense and access my files as if I was on the same network? I don't want all of this transcoding and scraping nonsense, I just want be able to access to my files and add them to my library remotely.

I'm doing this on my lunch break so I haven't been able to give it my full attention. Am I missing something?
(2023-03-16, 22:11)DiscoRage Wrote: I'm playing around with Jellyfin. It looks promising, but is there any way to bypass all of this server nonsense and access my files as if I was on the same network? I don't want all of this transcoding and scraping nonsense, I just want be able to access to my files and add them to my library remotely.

I'm doing this on my lunch break so I haven't been able to give it my full attention. Am I missing something?

You should take a little more time than just your lunch break.
You can use transcoding, but you don't have to.
Once you have set up Jellyfin correctly,
then Kodi will be up and running in a few minutes with your movies, tv shows or music.
And you can access your media from anywhere.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scraping music from FTP source0