Win update of old Media-PC? what to do?
Hello,

I use Kodi on an old Media PC already for a long time (~10years).
config is
Intel DH77DF Mainboard (ITX)
i3-3225
4GB RAM
Nvidia 1050-Graphics-card
Blu-ray-drive
This is connected to a 5.1 surround system. And sound quality is important to me, sound codecs (e.g. Atmos) not so much.
Panasonic 4K TV with HDR is connected (for picture only).
Setup is only used to watch media files from my own NAS. No streaming from external sources.
System itself is still working, but sometimes I have the impression video could be smoother (perhaps I use wrong settings?).

The main purpose of this PC is Kodi, but also some Audio recording from and config for my stereo-equipment (Win-programs).
But most performance is needed for Kodi.

Now my question is, is it worth to upgrade this machine or do I not get much benefit from another setup?
If an upgrade would make sense, then which way to go?
- New Media PC (e.g. Ryzen 5600G, B450-Board, 16GB, no Graphics card)?
This would have Windows, benefit the other programs would still work and I can connect the Blu-ray drive (even though it is hardly used).
- Nvidia Shield
I guess good performance, cheaper, Playstore, but no Win
- Xbox
similar to Nvidia shield?
- other system proposals (Android boy, NUC, ...)

I would appreciate if you could help me to better understand the options and benefits.

With best regards,
Martin
(2023-03-15, 18:17)Video-nerd Wrote: Now my question is, is it worth to upgrade this machine or do I not get much benefit from another setup?
(2023-03-15, 18:17)Video-nerd Wrote: Nvidia 1050-Graphics-card

That gfx card can be the only life-saver you need. I still use a i3-3225 from time to time, but it's a electricty-hog machine compared to my daily driver (a 15 watt micro pc) and to other low-powered devices.
I dunno how far HDR is supported on Windows for Kodi, but it's worth a try.

It's perhaps not so much which hardware you want, but which video features you want the hardware to support. 4K HDR is pretty much a standard these days.
Hello Klojum,

Thanks for your feedback.
Concerning Video, I have a few SD, the majority HD and some UHD movies.
A few have HDR. No 3D video.
As a 4K TV is used upscaling is needed.

That is what I see concerning video features.

Best regards,
Martin
(2023-03-15, 18:17)Video-nerd Wrote: System itself is still working, but sometimes I have the impression video could be smoother (perhaps I use wrong settings?).

As in "there are occasional hiccups..?
Do you have "Sync playback to display" enabled?
Is "Adjust display refresh rate" set in any way?
Hello Klojum,

I would not call this a hiccup, more a stuttering, especially pan shots.

I have currently the following settings:
Sync playback to display is enabled
Adjust display refresh rate is set to "On start"

Is that OK?

Best regards,
Martin
Hello,

After some more reading here and from other sources, I think we can narrow down the options:

My surround system does only support decoded PCM surround audio. That is, already decoded into separate surround channels.
My TV can support the following HDR: HDR 10(+), HLG (photo) and Dolby Vision (IQ)

I think especially Dolby Vison rules out a lot of options.
I think Android based systems and XBOX might support it.
(please correct me if I am wrong.)

I would like to have Gigabit-LAN.
This rules out a portion of the remaining Android systems.

Now I would like to understand if a new system will provide a improvement in Kodi Performance, mainly concerning less stuttering in pan shots.
If that is not to be expected, then I might have to rethink my approach.

Best regards,
Martin
if you want dolby vision currently the only platform supporting it is android

of the current android boxes, not all are created equal

i have the 2022 firetv cube, it's supporting everything with a current nightly build (not latest just a current from a few days ago) with a couple of caveats that are acceptable
  1. it doesnt have gigabit lan but a dongle can be had for less than $20 - more here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371861
  2. audio formats have been sorted but there's still some glitches here and there that kodi cannot fix - more here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371883
  3. can be had on the cheaper side

i also have one of the cheapo amlogic boxes with coreelec which is actually not bad but no dolby vision now or in the near future for coreelec - more here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3141904
  1. does have gigabit
  2. supports everything including passthrough (outside dolby vision)
  3. very cheap
there's inconclusive mixed results for an nvidia shield tv depending on the user
  1. does have gigabit
  2. seems to have various issues, search through the android section and youll see a fair amount - https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164
  3. fairly expensive in comparison
linux and windows are not in the running for dolby vision and as an htpc it wouldnt be recommendable, perhaps linux as libreelec but it'll cost a lot more than any of the other options and have less features
Hello jepsizofye,

Thanks for that detailed input and especially also the links to the challenges!

Yes some time ago I had tried the Android 11.0 TV Box X96 Max Plus Ultra Amlogic S905X4.
I have returned it to Ama.., because it only hat 100MB-LAN and I had the impression it was to slow for 4K.
(I have no clue if Dolby Vison was working on it, as I did not try, but i doubt it.)

I saw the proposal to use a dongle for the firecube, but I am not too tempted.

The Nvida Shield looks OK, but I think it is dated and pricey.
(even though it would be much cheaper than a HTPC, which I originally planned.)

So I feel I do not have too many options, especially as I am not really forced to get anything new (my HTPC is still running).
But it is clear now that a new HTPC is of the table.

So unless I find any other interesting alternative, I might just wait.
Or look for something of the shelf (UHD-Disk-Player?), likely to find out that the handling of the movies stored on NAS is really crap.

Best regards,
Martin
since youre adept at returns, buy the 2022 cube set it up on wifi and play something with dolby vision - youll be impressed with dolby vision and not want anything less in the future

my favorite demo - https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=43254366

mine works fine over wifi due to circumstance but it's subjective

at the end of it you'll have lost nothing but a trip to drop off the return if you don't like it

make sure you use the build here though https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3146066

or at least a nightly version https://kodi.tv/download/android
Hello jepsizofye,

I have tried to playback a UHD movie (Gemini Man) from my NAS via DLNA an my TV.
No good (stop and go), I think the TV also only has 100MB.
My HTPC worked fine.

So I decided against the Fire Cube but have ordered Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus.
We will see if this was a good decision.
It could however mean that I will not use Kodi on that box.

Best regards,
Martin
right on
best of luck
Hello,
Short update after I have received the Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus.
It was a very underwhelming experience to be frank.
The Dune App can currently not be downloaded from App Store, but this can be done with the description from the Web page.
Performance in general seems to be OK.
But in the Dune App I did not manage to connect to the SMB-share of my NAS.
The Kodi-App from Play Store was able to connect to this SMB-share, but in Kodi I only have 1920 even though a UHD-TV is connected (tried even two different UHD-TV).
So for me there is absolutely no benefit to switch from my Media-PC.
The Dune will be returned, as I am not willing to wait month/years for software changes to get functions I need now.
Best regards,
Martin
(2023-03-15, 20:34)Video-nerd Wrote: Hello Klojum,

Thanks for your feedback.
Concerning Video, I have a few SD, the majority HD and some UHD movies.
A few have HDR. No 3D video.
As a 4K TV is used upscaling is needed.

That is what I see concerning video features.

Best regards,
Martin

You don't need Kodi to upscale for a 4K TV necessarily.  With Kodi whitelisting you can playback 720p and 1080i/p content and output that at 720p or 1080p, with Kodi changing the display output modes, and then let your TV upscale if the TV has better upscaling than the GPU and Kodi.
Does the Homatics box support CoreELEC? If it does that'll probably provide a much better experience.

Otherwise maybe consider something like the new Intel dGPU'S ad a replacement for the 1050. Admittedly if you're running Windows I would expect the 1050 to be pretty good any problems you're having probably warrant further investigation.
Hello PANiCnz,
I did not check if CoreELEC is supported.
But the main purpose of the box for me would be the Dolby Vision support (which any Win-setup would lack to my knowledge).
I do also do not know if CoreELEC setup would support it.

Yes, that was the original plan.
Even though I would have gone with an AMD to replace the 1050, but that would in the end have been a very similar setup.

I am currently in contact with the support of the manufacturer to see if the SMB-problem can be fixed.
If so I might consider keeping the box.
Else I might look further into performance improvements by proper setup of my current system (based on 1050).

Best regards,
Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
update of old Media-PC? what to do?0