Kodi can't connect to FTP
I'm having difficulty getting Kodi on windows to connect to a rasbian based FTP server, vsftpd specifically. I am able to connect to the FTP when the "remote path" field is left empty when adding a network location. Then within Kodi I see the ftp user's home directory on the FTP machine, i.e /home/pi. But what I want to do is connect Kodi to an external hard drive mounted /mnt/PiNAS. If I add /mnt/PiNAS to the remote field I get an error window saying unable to connect. This is what Kodi's debug log looks like when I try to connect to the FTP. HASTEBIN LINK KODI.  It seems to be an access denial error.
Here is vsftpd's debug log from the same moment in time. HASTEBIN LINK VSFTPD.  There is a lot of similarity in the errors.  The same 550 error happens when the directory is changed to /mnt "CWD mnt". 
I can connect to the same FTP with WinSCP.  I can navigate to any directory on the pi because the ftp user is not chroot jailed. When I look at the vsftpd log when WinSCP connects I see something interesting.  Here is the HASTELINK BIN WinSCP.  Notice that when it successfully changes the directory it shows "CWD /mnt" in contrast to the "CWD mnt" from the Kodi log. Maybe I'm missing an escape character?  Maybe I'm not typing in the remote path correctly into Kodi?  I thought maybe it had to do something with directory ownership.  So I changed the group and owner of the /mnt directory to the FTP user from the default root:root. That did not fix it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.
I forgot to add that I'm Kodi v20.1
(2023-03-23, 04:29)hormel09 Wrote: I forgot to add that I'm Kodi v20.1

It's good practice to always provide the FULL debug-enabled Kodi log file, it avoids having to ask for whatever information that was not provided initially.

If you are connecting to Raspbian (or Raspberry Pi OS as it is called today), why use FTP with Kodi? I've been using NFS on my local Linux network servers for years, it is more suited to media streaming IMO, it can be set up in minutes and literally has been 'set and forget' operation for me.

Nonetheless, FTP should work of course. But I think that Kodi is still applying a different Linux user than what your media files are currently allowing.
Here's the full debug-enable kodi log when I successfully connect to the FTP server. No Remote Field Log
Here's the log when I try to add a remote field With Remote Field Log

I am using rasbian. Do you think using NFS would prevent kodi from apply a different Linux user?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi can't connect to FTP0