Solved Copying a file from smb share at startup (autoexec.py)
Does anyone know how to achieve the problem outlined in the title?  I came up with the below:

python:
import xbmcvfs
from shutil import copy
source = "smb://192.168.0.3/tv01/Movies_MultiFormat.xsp"
target = xbmcvfs.translatePath('special://home/userdata/playlists/video/')
copy(source, target)

but it seems the python environment isn't smb capable because I get this exception in the log:

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'smb://192.168.0.3/tv01/Movies_MultiFormat.xsp' 

Why do I want to do this?  I have a smart playlist which I regenerate a few times a day via a scheduled task.  This playlist is used to keep track of which movies are available in multiple resolutions e.g. 1080p, 4k.  This playlist can then be used, in combination with a few others, to make sure that devices show only one version of these movies - the version that they are capable of playing.  While I had only Nvidia Shield devices, I got around this by getting my scheduled script to copy the files to the Kodi device (Shield has an SMB server).  Now I have devices which don't have an smb server (e.g. Firesticks) and now I need a way to have each Kodi client pull this playlist from a central location.  autoexec.py seemed like the obvious solution but I'm stuck on getting it to speak smb.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
use the copy function from xbmcvfs instead, it is smb:// friendly

https://romanvm.github.io/Kodistubs/_aut...mcvfs.html
Thank you!  Got it working thanks to your advice.  I've re-arranged things on my server so that the share it's pulling from is more sensibly named.  Also turned out my target path was incorrect so fixed that too.  Working code:

python:
import xbmcvfs
source = "smb://username:[email protected]/KodiFiles/Playlists/video/Movies_MultiFormat.xsp"
target = xbmcvfs.translatePath('special://profile/playlists/video/Movies_MultiFormat.xsp')
xbmcvfs.copy(source, target)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copying a file from smb share at startup (autoexec.py)0