• 2(current)
[RELEASE] iTunes and iPhoto integration plugins for XBMC
Question 
Now that I got XBMC nicely running on my ATV, I am considering the next step also integrating itunes and iphoto (leaving me with XBMC as the ultimative media machine).

Anyone has managed to get itunes- and iphotos-integration on ATV. If yes, how?

Many thanks!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Still working on itunes and (more importanly) iphoto support for XBMC on ATV.

I have copied the plugins on the ATV and now I can see them on the ATV. The problem is that the itunes and iphoto libraries cannot be found now. Probably the reason is that they are on my mac mini and NOT on my Apple TV.

I am now trying to create a symlink back to my mac mini. Anyone more familiar with this and can point me in the right direction. The following doesnt work (but is probably just wrong code):

ln -s smb://username:[email protected]/users/username/music /users/frontrow/music
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
I doubt that will work, as the OS doesn't know about smb I don't think, and that URL format is an XBMC-ism Smile

One thing that *might* work, at least for listing the files, is editting the script for the path to the itunes xml file. Open up the script .py files, and it should be reasonably easy to see where to edit it. A path such as the above one might work in this scenario, though it relies on a bunch of stuff, such as the virtual filesystem working and so on.

Even if this was to work, however, I doubt the files would actually stream, as the files themselves are not on the appletv, so there'd need to be some URL changing to convert to the appropriate smb paths. This would involve more python hackery.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

These are really phantastic plugins. Really nice!!!

Two quick question/request:

(i) Would it be possible in the artist view not to show artists from compilations, but only show "compilations" as one field in the same way how this can be configured within itunes?

(ii) Any chance to get coverart support?

Many thanks!!!
I just installed and am running XBMC for the first time from my macbook pro (leopard) to a PS3. Both devices are running the latest updates on everything. This is my first time dealing with media servers (the search for media servers on the PS3 sparked my interest and here I am). Anyhow, it's installed and running and the PS3 sees XBMC. I used the itunes library plugin and pointed the server to the itunes library XML file (i hope thats right). However when viewing the server on the PS3 I have two options for music—'music files' and 'music library'. When I go to music library it says there are no tracks. When I browse the music files it shows my itunes folder which has the music albums folders as sub items. When I click an album I get an error: "Media Server Error A DLNA error protocol error (-1) has occured."

I searched the internet for this error code to no avail. Any suggestions? I just want to share my itunes library and iphotos. Maybe the problem is on my end...I am a media server noobie.

Thanks.
Workaround to access iTunes Music database library is to use Firefly Media Server on your Mac, see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31683

Wink
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
joshytree Wrote:However when viewing the server on the PS3 I have two options for music—'music files' and 'music library'. When I go to music library it says there are no tracks.

Library mode works only if you point your XBMC to a folder structure. If you point it to the itunes library, it doesn not work (yet).

joshytree Wrote:When I browse the music files it shows my itunes folder which has the music albums folders as sub items. When I click an album I get an error: "Media Server Error A DLNA error protocol error (-1) has occured."

From my understanding, your set-up wont work this way. I dont think that the itunes plugin works if you point it to a certain non-standard location for the itunes library as it only sees the info, but doesnt find the correspondong music files.
joshytree Wrote:I just installed and am running XBMC for the first time from my macbook pro (leopard) to a PS3. Both devices are running the latest updates on everything. This is my first time dealing with media servers (the search for media servers on the PS3 sparked my interest and here I am). Anyhow, it's installed and running and the PS3 sees XBMC. I used the itunes library plugin and pointed the server to the itunes library XML file (i hope thats right). However when viewing the server on the PS3 I have two options for music—'music files' and 'music library'. When I go to music library it says there are no tracks. When I browse the music files it shows my itunes folder which has the music albums folders as sub items. When I click an album I get an error: "Media Server Error A DLNA error protocol error (-1) has occured."

I searched the internet for this error code to no avail. Any suggestions? I just want to share my itunes library and iphotos. Maybe the problem is on my end...I am a media server noobie.
You are way off-topic for this thread, these plugins are for browsing the iTunes and iPhone databases inside XBMC.

XBMC is not designed act as a iTunes MediaServer for your PlayStation 3, XBMC does not re-share what it sees in the plugins to your PS3. Again, off-topic but I will point to in the direction of the Firefly Media Server software as it might be able to do what you want, but please do not post here if you are having problem with that is it is not something that we support, (do not abuse my willingness to try to help).
joshytree Wrote:I just installed and am running XBMC for the first time from my macbook pro (leopard) to a PS3. Both devices are running the latest updates on everything. This is my first time dealing with media servers (the search for media servers on the PS3 sparked my interest and here I am). Anyhow, it's installed and running and the PS3 sees XBMC. I used the itunes library plugin and pointed the server to the itunes library XML file (i hope thats right). However when viewing the server on the PS3 I have two options for music—'music files' and 'music library'. When I go to music library it says there are no tracks. When I browse the music files it shows my itunes folder which has the music albums folders as sub items. When I click an album I get an error: "Media Server Error A DLNA error protocol error (-1) has occured."

Thanks.
Greetings.

There were quite a few fixes related to PS3 compatibility after Beta 1 was released, so most likely you won't see any of these DLNA errors in Beta 2.

With regard to exporting plugins via UPnP, that hasn't been tested much so you might not get expected results (but it looks like you are getting some results). I definitely do like the idea though, so it's something I will look into when I get a chance.

You don't need to switch to Firefly if you intend on sharing your XBMC music or video Library (or even other non-plugin type paths), since our UPnP server already does that and it works quite well with the PS3 (and 360).
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

besides using the plugins which doesn't seem to work for me. Can I add source and locate my iTunes library on my MAC? I have my MAC set to Samba Share. Can I point it to the location of my iTunes music folder instead?
Will this plugin also work on an Apple TV running Beta1?
turbinez Wrote:besides using the plugins which doesn't seem to work for me. Can I add source and locate my iTunes library on my MAC? I have my MAC set to Samba Share. Can I point it to the location of my iTunes music folder instead?

Yes you can do that.

deano72 Wrote:Will this plugin also work on an Apple TV running Beta1?

It will only work for unprotected music stored locally on your Apple TV (unless you modify the script), which is not very likely to be the case for Apple TV. I'd recommend just sharing your iTunes library over Samba (as turbinez above asked) and adding that share to XBMC, as a source.

I ran the plugin, but altough there where +- 15.000 files in the I tunes library on the ATV, none seems to be imported. When I click on artist for example, i just got ".."
The second time I tried to run the import, i even got an exit out of XBMC with status "4"
Is there no way to add the Itunes library as a location?
Also: How do I remove a music location, as I did something wrong and added a location with nothing in it
antitax i had the same problem, thats why i just decided to scan like library manually instead. took awhile but everything works well.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iTunes and iPhoto integration plugins for XBMC3