• 2(current)
Still High CPU usage in Beta1
tslayer Wrote:If you have not already filed a TRAC report, please do so. Include full details (xbmc.log please).

Thanks!

Has been done already (by several members) a few weeks ago. Should be known by quite a few developers already
Then why open a new thread unless the TRAC ticket shows as resolved?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
This really is one of those things related to my Nvidia video driver IMO. with a fresh install I get 100% cpu all the time on 1 core if I go into the Nvidia control panel and "Manage 3d Settings\Program settings" and add one for XBMC.exe then set
Multi Display/Mixed GPU acceleration to Single Display (I have 2 screens)
and
Thread Optimization to OFF
It permanently fixed it for me every time I run it
Of course this is win32 nvidia only for me
I haven't tried Beta1 yet so I can't comment, but for me, xbmc uses less cpu when vertical sync IS enabled !! I know! -weird!
Jezz_X Wrote:This really is one of those things related to my Nvidia video driver IMO. with a fresh install I get 100% cpu all the time on 1 core if I go into the Nvidia control panel and "Manage 3d Settings\Program settings" and add one for XBMC.exe then set
Multi Display/Mixed GPU acceleration to Single Display (I have 2 screens)
and
Thread Optimization to OFF
It permanently fixed it for me every time I run it
Of course this is win32 nvidia only for me

Good stuff! Adding it in nVidia control panel reduced the usage to 50%. Should i disable v-sync? Not exactly sure what it does !
great, I changed settings for xbmc in nvidia control panel, and now it wont let me remove those settings/change them back. :\
PantsOnFire Wrote:great, I changed settings for xbmc in nvidia control panel, and now it wont let me remove those settings/change them back. :\

Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings>select xbmc.exe>click the remove button

That should do it.
vsync synchronizes the frame rendering with the the displays refresh rate (eliminating tearing). Try with vsync completely disabled and if you notice tearing, in videos, switch it to video only. You *shouldn't* need it in GUI.
Jezz_X Wrote:This really is one of those things related to my Nvidia video driver IMO.

You guys really don't read topics carefully. This is not a "nvidia" thing, it's not an "ati" thing either.........it's an XBMC thing

........As said before: 3 machines, 3 different brand of video cards, same issues!
To recap:

It seems that the high CPU usage mostly occurs on the Windows platform (although issues are present on other platforms) and that why it's harder to reproduce. There are just too many variables. Countless brands of video cards, drivers versions and other hardware to take into consideration.

Most people are unaware of the high CPU usage because the "Enable debug option" is off by default. Then there are others who do have this option on, but are lucky enough to have the "right" combination of hardware/drivers in their system or have found some kind of workaround.

Imho, the Devs are seriously underestimating the high CPU problem and I say this NOT to flame XBMC but with great concern, because I love XBMC; At this point the Devs are releasing a software package that could potentially damage computer hardware.

For instance, if the current (and past) releases of XBMC would be used on windows computers that have passive cooling and are "on" for a prolonged period of time, it could fry your CPU.
A picture says more than a thousand words:

Intel P4/Intel 915 graphics (Fullscreen)

Intel 8400/nvidia 8800GT (windowed)

Intel 8400/nvidia 8800GT (Fullscreen)

DragonFly Wrote:You guys really don't read topics carefully. This is not a "nvidia" thing, it's not an "ati" thing either.........it's an XBMC thing

........As said before: 3 machines, 3 different brand of video cards, same issues!

Yeah but nVidia control centre allows you to control other appz, its gotten my cpu down from 89% to 50% when using XBMC anyway, having said that i have a high-end PC and it should be using very little resources.
It's still a workaround and doesn't resolve the real issue. Then again, 50% CPU usage is way too high for XBMC in idle mode.

You've found a way to reduce the CPU usage, but most people are fairly ignorant about what's going on "under the hood".

At this point XBMC is fairly known to the public. They install XBMC, like it, use it, and risk high CPU usage and possibly damage. They haven't got the faintest idea what vertical sync is, let alone how to change it.

It's for those users that the Devs should address the CPU issue and hopefully fix it.
Since you like pictures and to show you why it isn't that easy to reproduce for us:

(Intel Core2 Duo/Nvidia 8600GM)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WiSo Wrote:(Intel Core2 Duo/Nvidia 8600GM)

Hey WiSo, I see you have Vista, DragonFly et al seem to use XP SP3... maybe that sets the difference...

I will test it tonight and will post if it happens to my XP SP3 installation (I use it only sporadically, to do some library-building and scraper tests)
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still High CPU usage in Beta10