Mezzmo Kodi addon not working with Gerbera UPnP server on Ubuntu 22.04
I use Gerbera UPnP server version 1.1.0 on installed on a Kubuntu 22.04 machine.
Kodi 20.2, installed on another Kubuntu 22.04 machine, does not work well with Gerbera (see 376839 (thread)).

As a workaround, I tried to use the Mezzmo Kodi addon.
The version installed from the Mezzmo Windows setup package does not work because of Python errors. Kodi log here: odenuhesuc.kodi (paste)
Thanks to @jbinkley60 I could use a test version which fixes the Python errors.

However, the Mezzmo Kodi addon has a very odd behavior with Gerbera:
- Almost all the video files are missing.
- The only video file to appear has the .ts extension. All the other video files (.mkv, .mp4, .avi, etc.) are missing.
- If I try to play the .ts file, Kodi does nothing for several minutes, then gets killed. There is nothing relevant in the log file.
- Some text files which are under Gerbera also appear in Mezzmo, and they can be viewed.
- The jpg images are missing too under the "PC directory" of Gerbera.
- But I could see the images files under the "Photos" shortcut of Gerbera, and they are displayed correctly.
(2024-04-02, 00:34)cepamoi Wrote: I use Gerbera UPnP server version 1.1.0 on installed on a Kubuntu 22.04 machine.
Kodi 20.2, installed on another Kubuntu 22.04 machine, does not work well with Gerbera (see 376839 (thread)).

As a workaround, I tried to use the Mezzmo Kodi addon.
The version installed from the Mezzmo Windows setup package does not work because of Python errors. Kodi log here: odenuhesuc.kodi (paste)
Thanks to @jbinkley60 I could use a test version which fixes the Python errors.

However, the Mezzmo Kodi addon has a very odd behavior with Gerbera:
- Almost all the video files are missing.
- The only video file to appear has the .ts extension. All the other video files (.mkv, .mp4, .avi, etc.) are missing.
- If I try to play the .ts file, Kodi does nothing for several minutes, then gets killed. There is nothing relevant in the log file.
- Some text files which are under Gerbera also appear in Mezzmo, and they can be viewed.
- The jpg images are missing too under the "PC directory" of Gerbera.
- But I could see the images files under the "Photos" shortcut of Gerbera, and they are displayed correctly.

The not displaying certain items will either be a Gebera profile issue or something the Gebera server is returning is causing an XML parsing problem for the Mezzmo Kodi addon, hence they aren't being displayed.  Once I see the UPnP response logs I will be able to discern the issue.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Hi Jeff,

Maybe something is wrong in Gerbera when getting the content.
However, all the other UPnP/DLNA clients I have tried can display the content of Gerbera: VLC (Linux and Android), Kodi native UPnP support, and my Panasonic TV.

I have enabled the logging in Mezzmo. I hope I did this correctly. So here is the log:
xidutarebo.kodi (paste)

Thanks.
A more complete log:
taceqexoxu.kodi (paste)
(2024-04-02, 23:54)cepamoi Wrote: Hi Jeff,

Maybe something is wrong in Gerbera when getting the content.
However, all the other UPnP/DLNA clients I have tried can display the content of Gerbera: VLC (Linux and Android), Kodi native UPnP support, and my Panasonic TV.

I have enabled the logging in Mezzmo. I hope I did this correctly. So here is the log:
xidutarebo.kodi (paste)

Thanks.

I see the issue here. It is the format of the video duration  XML field coming back from Gerbera which is causing an exception error.  The format I am seeing is:

Duration format:

duration="01:31:07.4&quot

The standard from almost all other UPnP servers is in the format of:  01:31:07 or 01:31:07.400

The client converts this string to seconds before handing off to Kodi to display.   The Gebera format to seconds calculation is failing which is why they aren't displaying.  I can make a code update to account for this nonstandard format.  I'll try to have something out tomorrow.   Out of curiosity do your other UPnP clients show the proper duration  ?  if not they just detect the issue and ignore it.

On a side note the Gebera server is only sending a small amount of metadata about the file (i.e. resolution, length, title and URL.  Many other DLNA servers send a rich set of metadata like genre, writer, producer, trailer URLs, actors and more.  The good news is that the media URL is in HTTP format and not UPnP.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Hi Jeff,
(2024-04-03, 00:46)jbinkley60 Wrote: Out of curiosity do your other UPnP clients show the proper duration  ?  if not they just detect the issue and ignore it.
Yes, all the other UPnP clients I have tried can display the duration of the Gerbera server content properly.
(2024-04-03, 21:48)cepamoi Wrote: Yes, all the other UPnP clients I have tried can display the duration of the Gerbera server content properly.

Ok.  Thanks.  I changed how I parse the duration string and now ignore anything after the seconds.  That should fix it going forward with Gerbera.  I was trying to be too precise in what I was accepting.

Thanks,

Jeff
I have just tried the test version you created.
Thanks for your efforts fixing the issues.
Things are much better with Gerbera, but still not fully working.
There are three issues:
1. At least half of the content is missing. Files are sorted by name, but only the first ones (maybe just 30-50 %) are visible. The other ones are missing.
2. There is a long delay before the video playback effectively starts. May be it is the same issue as here: 376839 (thread)
3. Occasionally, Kodi gets stuck on exit

The photos seem to be displayed correctly.

Log file here:
kuzowicaso.kodi (paste)
(2024-04-03, 22:18)cepamoi Wrote: I have just tried the test version you created.
Thanks for your efforts fixing the issues.
Things are much better with Gerbera, but still not fully working.
There are three issues:
1. At least half of the content is missing. Files are sorted by name, but only the first ones (maybe just 30-50 %) are visible. The other ones are missing.
2. There is a long delay before the video playback effectively starts. May be it is the same issue as here: 376839 (thread)
3. Occasionally, Kodi gets stuck on exit

The photos seem to be displayed correctly.

Log file here:
kuzowicaso.kodi (paste)

1.  This is due to how artist / actor information is being handed back by Gerbera.  I'll need to think about how to fix this.  With Kodi are you seeing any actor information for any of the movies ?  Gebera is handing back very sparse information.
2.  Yes, this is a Kodi player issue.  Based upon the answer I got from @CrystalP this isn't something I can address.  That is what started this experiment.
3.  Not sure on this one.  I might need debug logs when this occurs.

I'll see what I can do for the artist / actor issue.

Thanks,

Jeff
(2024-04-03, 23:26)jbinkley60 Wrote: 1.  This is due to how artist / actor information is being handed back by Gerbera.  I'll need to think about how to fix this.  With Kodi are you seeing any actor information for any of the movies ?  Gebera is handing back very sparse information.
No, I don't see any actor nor other information with Kodi. But I doubt that my videos contains any extra information. Most of them are downloaded from the replay website of a French TV channel (Arte).

(2024-04-03, 23:26)jbinkley60 Wrote: 3.  Not sure on this one.  I might need debug logs when this occurs.
The log in my previous post also has this issue. I copied the log just before killing Kodi.
(2024-04-03, 23:46)cepamoi Wrote: The log in my previous post also has this issue. I copied the log just before killing Kodi.

it looks like inputstream or catchuptvandmore may have caused the hang on shutting down, not Mezzmo.

Here's the logs:

Kodi shutdown error:

2024-04-03 22:13:44.251 T:5277 info <general>: CServiceAddonManager: failed to stop inputstream.ffmpegdirect (may have ended)
2024-04-03 22:13:49.251 T:5277 error <general>: CPythonInvoker(1, /home/julien/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.catchuptvandmore/service.py): script didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it
2024-04-03 22:13:49.271 T:5320 info <general>: Mezzmo addon service shutdown.
2024-04-03 22:13:49.470 T:5277 info <general>: CServiceAddonManager: failed to stop service.xbmc.versioncheck (may have ended)

Mezzmo took .02 seconds to close.

Thanks,

Jeff
(2024-04-03, 23:46)cepamoi Wrote: No, I don't see any actor nor other information with Kodi. But I doubt that my videos contains any extra information. Most of them are downloaded from the replay website of a French TV channel (Arte).

Ok.  I posted an updated test release 2.2.0.3c which doesn't try to parse artist information from Gerbera servers if it is next to nothing or nothing at all.  This should resolve the issue with not all of the video items showing properly.  If we ever want to try and parse the artist information I'll need to do a bit more coding.  The delay issue is within Kodi itself, as described earlier.

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for this new test version.
Things improved significantly, but there are still some issues.
First, good news, the content is now (almost - see below) fully correct, and (almost) nothing seem to be missing.

Now the issues:
1. Pictures are displayed correctly, but there is a bug with the slideshow viewer.
When the automatic slideshow is enabled, everything works fine.
When the automatic slideshow is disabled, the photos are listed, and if I click one photo, it is displayed correctly. I assume that this is the expected behavior.
However, when I right-click a picture and I select the "Mezzmo slideshow viewer", the window "Select picture viewing format" appears.
If I select "Slideshow", the window disappears for a fraction of second, and then appears again. The picture is not displayed.
I have no idea if this is related to Gerbera or if this is a more general bug.
Log here:
buhurapece.kodi (paste)

2. I tried to add music (mp3) files. This is something I usually never do.
Unfortunately, they are not visible.
With the native Kodi UPnP support, they are visible, and they appear with name different from the filename. This probably means that some information about the artist/album/genre/etc. is passed by Gerbera.
Log here:
awamagewoh.kodi (paste)
(2024-04-04, 23:05)cepamoi Wrote: Now the issues:
1. Pictures are displayed correctly, but there is a bug with the slideshow viewer.
When the automatic slideshow is disabled, the photos are listed, and if I click one photo, it is displayed correctly. I assume that this is the expected behavior.
However, when I right-click a picture and I select the "Mezzmo slideshow viewer", the window "Select picture viewing format" appears.
If I select "Slideshow", the window disappears for a fraction of second, and then appears again. The picture is not displayed.
Log here:
buhurapece.kodi (paste)

This is my fault due to a change I made this week in the test release.  I changed the order of when the slideshow database is populated to only occur if the Automatic Slideshow setting is enabled.  I have changed it back.

(2024-04-04, 23:05)cepamoi Wrote: 2. I tried to add music (mp3) files. This is something I usually never do.
With the native Kodi UPnP support, they are visible, and they appear with name different from the filename. This probably means that some information about the artist/album/genre/etc. is passed by Gerbera.
Log here:
awamagewoh.kodi (paste)

This is being caused by the format of the track numbers being handed back by Gerbera.  It is supposed to provide an integer string like 1,2,3,4 etc..  Instead it is providing it back in a format like "6/7" which can't be directly converted to an integer.  For the mp3s you were browsing with the logs were there 7 tracks  and so "6/7" means track 6 of 7 ?  It looks like the album was "In Camera".  I've never seen any other UPnP server format track information this way.  I can fix it.  Out of curiosity are you seeing track numbers when you browse the same music tracks with Kodi UPnP ? 

Thanks,

Jeff
(2024-04-04, 23:05)cepamoi Wrote: Thanks for this new test version.
Things improved significantly, but there are still some issues.
First, good news, the content is now (almost - see below) fully correct, and (almost) nothing seem to be missing.

Now the issues:
Log here:
buhurapece.kodi (paste)

2. I tried to add music (mp3) files. This is something I usually never do.
Log here:
awamagewoh.kodi (paste)

I have uploaded version 2.2.0.3d which has the two fixes in it, to put back the proper order for populating the slideshow picture database and to parse the Gerbera originaltrack XML field into an integer.  Please let me know how this works.  Also, if you are seeing any movies / videos which aren't displaying, could you send me a new set of logs ? 

Thanks,

Jeff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mezzmo Kodi addon not working with Gerbera UPnP server on Ubuntu 22.040
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.