Fans Spinning Up / Screensaver Missing
Hi There,

I'm really enjoying the beta. I've made the move from Media Portal and am not looking back.

Two minor issues I'm experiencing:

1) When xbmc is idle, my fans spin up. This is a little counter intuitive as they're actually very quiet when I'm doing things with xbmc (ie., browsing, listening to music, non hd content). Its loud enough that I actually close xbmc when not in use, which is an ok workaround but kind of annoying.

I log in to another session remotely via remote desktop and see that there doesn't seem to be abnormal cpu usage while idle, though it usually bumps somewhere between 4-8%. Compare that to about 20% while watching 1080p encoded content.

2) Screensaver mode doesn't work. Neither "black" nor "dim". Testing it doesn't work either.

I'm running an Intel G35 chipset motherboard (Asus p5e-vm hdmi) and an intel Q6600 processor, if that helps. Not sure if a debug log would help for these types of problems but let me know if they would and I can figure out how to produce one.

Thanks!
1. There's currently a problem with high CPU usage due to vsync. Check out some of the other "High/100% cpu usage" threads for possible workarounds until it's fixed."

2. These screensavers are only activated if XBMC is full screen, not windowed as they play with alpha on the entire display.
rainmaker002 Wrote:2) Screensaver mode doesn't work. Neither "black" nor "dim". Testing it doesn't work either.

i'm running XBMC fullscreen on a secondary display and the screensaver doesn't work either.
Eek

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Yeah, fullscreen here as well.

I'll look into the vsync thing, I didn't think it could be related because when I skimmed those threads people were complaining of 90-100% usage but for all I know they're using celerons which would make a big difference.

Any more help on the screensaver thing would be awesome. Thanks!
The screensaver works fine for me in fullscreen, but note that it doesn't dim here on my hardware past 30% or so, so both the "Dim" and "Black" screensavers look the same.

If your hardware doesn't support gamma setting, then it won't work.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hey jmarshall, can you explain a little more about the hardware supporting gamma setting? I was wondering why my screensaver didn't dim past 20% even though I had it set to black. How does the screensaver work? just sets the gamma on the video card to minimum?
Just resurrecting this old thread. I had hoped that if enough people had this problem that it would eventually get fixed, but I'm still wondering if we can expect a full 100% black screensaver to work at some point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fans Spinning Up / Screensaver Missing0