EAC3to conversions
so the 6 channel flac just drops the surround backs or the surround sides?

do you think xbmc could handle those extra 2 channels in flac, cause i know flac can handle up to 8.

That would be the perfect solution until next gen bitstream is available:

Demux from m2ts - recode audio from truehd/dts-hd to 8ch flac - remux untouched video and 8ch flac to mkv container.

Would that work?

Also is 6 channel flac bit-for-bit the same as truehd, just without the 2 extra channels?
Actually right now XBMC doesn't downsample FLAC at all, you just get the front two straight up, thats why I have the fallback AC3 track. However the correct behavior would be to downsample to 2.1/5.1 etc whatever, and I presume in the future XBMC will do so, also, yes depending on the exact codec chain used 8ch FLAC should be bit-for-bit identical to dolbyTrueHD or PCM. I don't know how XBMC would handle 8ch PCM though straight up, best to do a small sample and test it see what happens.

Report your findings it's always interesting to hear about bd/hd-dvd storage/encoding techniques.
will do

8ch flac and untouched video in mkv
best to encode an AC3 track to use until XBMC properly down mixes FLAC too, it's simple to do with eac3to and takes very little space (well relatively).
like i said before i'm not worried about space. i just want my bluray like i have my dvds.
Yeah I'm the same, space is cheap and getting cheaper Laugh I meant store an AC3 track alongside the FLAC audio so you have something to use until XBMC has proper downmixing for FLAC.
griffore Wrote:You don't have to downgrade the audio. You can mux the audio to the follwoing formats:
  • RAW, (L)PCM
  • WAV (PCM only)
  • WAVs (multiple mono WAV files, PCM only)
  • AC3
  • DTS
  • AAC
  • FLAC

The problem with keeping the m2ts files is what do you do with discs that span multiple m2ts files or those which employ branching? You end up having an entire folder for the disc.

When you backup to an mkv container, everything is neatly contained in one file.

You forgot:
  • WV

Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EAC3to conversions0