Video playback issue
So I just built a machine with the following specs:

Motherboard: Intel G45ID
CPU: Intel C2D E8500 Wolfsdale (3.16ghz)
RAM: 4GB G. SKILL DDR2 800
HDD: Samsung 250gb SATA 3.0gb/s

Due to the fact that it's using the G45 chipset, I have decided to go with Windows until the Linux drivers become more stable.

I have installed all the latest drivers and installed all updates in Windows. XBMC is running fine.

However, when I go to play videos, I am having serious issues. The video goes slow and then speeds up and then slows again, etc. The audio plays at normal speed over this.

My normal setup is going to be streaming the videos from a file server, but for testing purposes I also tried playing them locally from the XBMC machine and had the same issue. I've tried a video that was encoded with DivX and also a straight DVD rip (ISO).

The AVI (DivX) file plays without any problems in Windows Media Player, but has the stutter issues in XBMC.

Is there any suggesitons anyone might offer? I've already turned off VSYNC and I've checked the task manager while playing in windowed mode and the CPU usage maxes out at about 12% (not high def). I'm confused as to what else to try. I've seen mention that log files are helpful, but I don't know where to find them tbh.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as right now my HTPC is completely useless Sad! Thanks in advance!
Forgot to mention... I'm running the XBMC Atlantis (Beta 1) build for Windows.
Shameless bump.

Anyone have any ideas? This is rather frustrating Sad
I had something similar when I first installed XBMC
Check if video display setting in XBMC matches your Windows display resolution.
After I fixed that all videos started playing flawlessly (including 720P and 1080p with just 20% CPU usage)
I have had a problem with XBMC being stuck towards the bottom left corber for months, no one on here could help.... Just checked the resoluiton and it was set to AUTO, set it to 1024x768 and its pefect now...

Thanks
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a whirl when I get home. I believe I had it set to Auto, not the windows resolution.

igsolt Wrote:I had something similar when I first installed XBMC
Check if video display setting in XBMC matches your Windows display resolution.
After I fixed that all videos started playing flawlessly (including 720P and 1080p with just 20% CPU usage)
I've made sure that my resolution matches my desktop (1920x1080) and the issue persists.

This is rather frustrating, as I am able to play the same files in full screen without any problems using Windows Media Player.

Any other suggestions? Sad

UPDATE: I just installed MediaPortal to test, and this also has no problems playing back the same clips - it has to be an XBMC setting or bug.
Try disabling video upscaling. Also, make sure you video driver is from Intel, not MS.
althekiller Wrote:Try disabling video upscaling. Also, make sure you video driver is from Intel, not MS.

Thanks for the tip. I am definitely using the Intel driver. Where do I find the upscaling option? I've been poking around different settings menus and don't remember seeing an option to disable/enable that.
althekiller Wrote:Try disabling video upscaling. Also, make sure you video driver is from Intel, not MS.

Ok... got home and checked the settings. This was already disabled. I tried also running with it enabled and the same results. It's back to disabled now.

Another thing I found out when toying around today was that when I minimize the video playback and go back to the menus with the video still playing in the little box in the lower left corner, there is no jitter at all. It appears to only happen when the video is playing in the main focus (windowed mode or fullscreen).
I have the same setup and had some problems with the older Intel VGA drivers and Alpha 3 of XBMC.

Be sure that:
- XBMC is set to the native resolution of your desktop (so not "Auto")
- You have the latest chipset, VGA and sound driver (updated regularly)
- You run at least Beta 1 of XBMC

Now mine works fine.
zAo_OSX Wrote:I have the same setup and had some problems with the older Intel VGA drivers and Alpha 3 of XBMC.

Be sure that:
- XBMC is set to the native resolution of your desktop (so not "Auto")
- You have the latest chipset, VGA and sound driver (updated regularly)
- You run at least Beta 1 of XBMC

Now mine works fine.

Ah... that might be it. I just made sure the video driver was the latest, not sound and chipset.

Thanks!
Well, I just updated all my drivers to the most current versions available on Intel's support web site and the problem is still occuring.

Can I ask what your setup is exactly as well as your configurations, Zao?

Also... it should be noted that it's not just the video playing back that slows down but the OSD as well (including the mouse pointer)
My exact config:
-Intel DG45ID
-E7200 CPU
-2x 1GB 800mhz OCZ memory
-1TB Samsung disk
-MCE 2005 remote
-Sony 32D3000 connected with HDMI @ 1360x768

-Win XP SP3
-Latest Drivers
-Beta 1 of XBMC @ 1360x768

Did you try to turn off the mouse pointer and just use your keyboard?
Hmmm... I have the resolution set to 1920x1080. No I didn't try turning off the mouse pointer, I guess I can give that a go as well.

zAo_OSX Wrote:My exact config:
-Intel DG45ID
-E7200 CPU
-2x 1GB 800mhz OCZ memory
-1TB Samsung disk
-MCE 2005 remote
-Sony 32D3000 connected with HDMI @ 1360x768

-Win XP SP3
-Latest Drivers
-Beta 1 of XBMC @ 1360x768

Did you try to turn off the mouse pointer and just use your keyboard?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback issue0