Who has a a SATA or IDE DVD Working.
Can someone who has a working drive please post a pastebin or your /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab to compare.

I believe the problem is just that kernel does not support newest hardware as when i run and lspci I get all kinds of unknown devices for the m3n78-vm board I am using.

I have tried loading a ide_generic module with no luck, I have added all_generic_ide to the boot menu - no luck. I swapped the sata for an ide with no luck.

in my /etc/fstab I have NO drives listed at all only

unionfs and proc.

rgds,

Dave
Dave,

Seems at least several guys us here have this problem. We all try different DVD druves, IDE or SATA. Has anybody tried a CD-ROM drive (just to check CD audio playback)? I have one on an old PC, but won't be able to bring it home and try before the weekend.
assen Wrote:Dave,

Seems at least several guys us here have this problem. We all try different DVD druves, IDE or SATA. Has anybody tried a CD-ROM drive (just to check CD audio playback)? I have one on an old PC, but won't be able to bring it home and try before the weekend.

I have now tried this on three completely different setup with different drives both ide - sata and old cd-roms.

I have had this on a

M3n78-VM AMD 4800X2 Nvidia 8200 Chipset
Asus P5K3 (P35 chipset) Asus Nvidia 8500Gt with C2D 8400
MSI Nforce 4 board with AMD 3800 (939) chipset tried with sata - ide and USB DVD-Rom no luck...

I have tried as much as an old 24x cdrom drive and no luck.

I have tried to force mount the drive both from command line and by adding to /etc/fstab as per the mobile ubuntu bug list for this kernel and still no luck. 90% of the time when I try this it locks the drive completely meaning no access period.

I initially thought this was a kernel problem with new hardware but with the testing I have done above it would not seem to be the case.

when I run a

sudo ls /dev -l | grep cd

it list thinks like

cdrom2 -> scd0
dvd2 -> scd0
dvdrw2 -> scd0

etc... and these all had full RW permissions.

Dave
Well I just hooked up an old 32x lg cd-rom to the ide port on the Nforce 4 board above and no luck.

I ran an lspci and there are NO unrecognized devices with the setup here. It see all the Nvidia chipset and loads proper modules for them.

lsusb is seeing all my devices fine as well.

sudo ls /dev -l | grep cd

lrwxrwxrwx root root cdrom3 -> scd1
lrwxrwxrwx root root cdrom4 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx root root cdrw3 -> scd1
lrwxrwxrwx root root dvd3 -> scd1
lrwxrwxrwx root root dvdrw3 -> scd1

brw-rw---- root cdrom scd0
brw-rw---- root cdrom scd1
crw-rw---- root cdrom sg0
crw-rw---- root cdrom sg1
lrwxrwxrwx root root sr0 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx root root sr1 -> scd1

There are couple other lines in it as well to do with Lircd, ptycd, ttycd

I have both the ide cdrom and a sata dvd drive hooked up as well. as I stated with just the sata dvd hooked up the above shows cdrom2, dvd2, dvdrw2 etc..

Dave
The issue is currently being dealt with.
Stay tuned.
l.capriotti Wrote:The issue is currently being dealt with.
Stay tuned.

Luigi,

I was reading some issues with USB drives not umounting properly and building additional numbers with each mount. With what I saw when hooking up the different drives I would assume it would be along the same lines as that.

so IE USB drives = sda, sdb,sdc,sdd etc... for each time they are connected the Uubntu creates a new device.

Dave
I took note of it, although it seems unrelated at a first glance.
Hi all,

I'm not sure whether I'm on the right track, but it seems that that the DVD drives we test actually do their job properly - they load the disk and report to DBUS (you can do a tail -f /varlog/syslog during disk load/eject from the DVD drive to verify). However, it is the XBMC application (or whatever it is - excuse my ignorance on the project) that has to pick up the event from DBUS and take some action (e.g., mount if data disk, or play if audio CD etc.) -- and this does not happen. Strange enough, I only see NetworkManager report the event of disk load/eject as "seen" over the DBUS. Might me some config issue, but I'll first have to explore some of the DBMC code and the SVN is more than 500 MB (sigh)...

WWell,

Assen
l.capriotti Wrote:The issue is currently being dealt with.
Stay tuned.
Any chance of a quick update or a link to the relevant bug report (if there is one)?
Or better still, some sort of idea where I might look to try to fix this myself - is the problem with xbmc itself or the linux it sits on (the live version)?
The fix is more than one patch but the last nail in the coffin is:
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/15759

the other important are:
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/15756
and for DVDs this aswell
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/15753

So if you want to test it you need to compile from source Smile

The issue is if I havent totally missunderstood it that XBMCs halmanager dont mount DVD/CDs which it wasnt designed to do. But now it does Big Grin
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thank you!
OK so to compile No problem, what source files are we to use and then how do we turn it into the live version.

THX,

Dave
rodercot Wrote:OK so to compile No problem, what source files are we to use and then how do we turn it into the live version.

THX,

Dave

The same as on linux, just follow the build instructions in Readme. Although a beta2 will be out very soon.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who has a a SATA or IDE DVD Working.0