• 8(current)
Library update is REALLY slow!
XBMC-SVN_2009-09-27_rev23183-T3CH

Alright, totally confused now... Initial scan took (10.01) and update again, even quicker.

Library Scan: 10.01
Update: 00.13

Full Log: http://pastebin.com/f3dec87d0

Firstly, before getting carried away, i'll now try the whole library again.

Things that have been different for this experiment:

1) I disabled "library' in settings, deleted the 'My Videos34' and the Thumbnails folder each time.

2) The folder it's scanning from in on a drive which is already housing a folder full of shows (not a new drive, same sharing permissions)

3) The folder only contains 10 shows, as opposed to the main directory's which house 95, 112 and 56 shows respectively!

So... a few theory's:

Have I got too many shows within one directory for XBMC to cope with?

When I choose my sources, should I combine all three into one or have a seperate source for each directory (TV1, TV2, TV3)!?

Did I maybe just have a corruption with the databases that has been getting away unnoticed?

The full update will reveal more. I will give each folder their own source for this.
A few comments:
- Disabling the library obviously speeds things up since db-actions (especially write) are expensive (slow);
- The speed problem you're seeing among is probably caused by newer XBMC versions implementing stuff like Fanart and such. Trying with a Windows/Linux/MacOSX XBMC version could give clue what to look at.

EDIT: I'm not so sure about the hashing thing anymore. I believe our algoritm just computes an empty hash for empty directories.
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
I loaded the first Folder only (98 shows). Update took 06:07:53 to complete and had multiple failures with saving thumbnails. Almost all have no screenshots or Season covers, even thought they are all stored locally with the files!?

A partial log is here (Full log was almost 6mb)
http://pastebin.com/f1751674f
Quote:- The speed problem you're seeing among is probably caused by newer XBMC versions implementing stuff like Fanart and such. Trying with a Windows/Linux/MacOSX XBMC version could give clue what to look at.
--^
arnova Wrote:- The speed problem you're seeing among is probably caused by newer XBMC versions implementing stuff like Fanart and such. Trying with a Windows/Linux/MacOSX XBMC version could give clue what to look at.
I have installed a caching proxy (squid) and let xbmc use it. Getting only new thumbnails takes ages and I have no idea what it's doing... It gets the thumbnail from the proxy's cache in a fragment of a second.
Have updated to entire TV Collection and hashing is still taking 20 secs or so each show...
Again: did you try a Windows/Linux/MacOSX XBMC version yet and see whether the problem also exists there?
reloading movie details takes about 30s on my Windows system and 55s on my xbox. Reloading all the thumbs of a popular movie takes 1.5 second and 15 seconds on my xbox....

The thumbnails don't have to be downloaded. They are all cache hits.
I hope it's useful info.

I only noticed the big difference between getting thumbnails on a windows system and the xbox. The difference between a complete refresh (only 1 thumbnail though) is not that big.... the xbox is only 1.5 times that slow....
Did you all also try to disable grabbing of actor & seasons thumbs in the Video Settings screen?
Hey Guys,

I get the same problem here, How do I enable debug logging?

it take over a minute for the library to load for me Sad
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Log_file#Enable_Debugging
i put a trac ticket in for this awhile ago #7329
Because my XBOX will freeze if i perform playback while scanning, my solution has been to disable auto scan at startup and enable the idle sleep timer. Before I go to bed, I go to each XBOX and manually trigger a library update. When I wake up, the library is current and the xboxes are turned off.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library update is REALLY slow!0