Periodic jerkyness
Can'be that is somehow related to refresh rates?
I am experiencing the same switching from Beta1 to Beta2 (although Beta1 was jerky at horizontal pans as well, but much less, than Beta2).

One major difference regarding refresh rate is that XBMC system info reporting 50hz on Beta1, but 100Hz on Beta2 in case of my plasma screen.
My desktop is set to 60Hz.
[Ad0];232298 Wrote:My desktop is set to 60Hz.

Where did you set it?
And what the refresh rate XBMC is reporting on the system info screen?
olympia Wrote:Where did you set it?
And what the refresh rate XBMC is reporting on the system info screen?

I set the refresh rate to "auto" which is 60Hz in nvidia x server settings.

It flips between 59.94 Hz and 60Hz every second in XBMC system info (WTF)
I am wondering how can it be set to 24hz.
tslayer Wrote:svn -r revision# up

Going to try and start with 14091 which is far enough back that I'm pretty sure things were good. Would help if the log page would come up on Sourceforge though - 504 gateway timeout errors are pretty consistent!

Looks like I will need to make clean to dump various files between revisions, hopefully nothing will break badly. I have backed up my current directory so we'll see how it goes. This is being built via build.sh should anyone care - I'll use the option to prevent it from checking the repository.

I have to go out in a bit but I will at least try this old version and update this post so we have a starting point! Pretty sure I first saw this issue sometime in August so mid July shoudl work. Naturally my only computer that has http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x.../?view=log up on it is upstairs - argh!

Edit: Lots of makefiles had to be killed by hand and 14091 failed to compile with an error in one of the CODECs -skipping to 14095. Worked up to 14140 and not gotten a clean good compile yet, run out of time. Will work more on this later!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Okay, this is a bit maddening. I'm on 14176 having had a heck of a time getting a clean compile. I still see some stutters in horizontal panning on HD content. Argh! I don't think I'm being too sensitive here either. I really need to get a BD player and do some comparisons maybe. SD seems better but I notice something I see even on latest SVN - the screen bobs up and down, it's like my display is on a bouncing table. Find a horizontal line and watch it in relation to the frame around the picture...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Trying the LiveCD for Beta2, everyting works pretty well for me except navigation sounds. With Vertical Synch OFF I do not see issues with panning horizontally however there's BAD tearing and it mostly seems to occur where I'd see stuttering before. I now have Vert Synch ON and the tearing is gone. Still seems to hesitate during panned shots, ZERO dropped frames though. Looking at it I'm not sure I'm seeing a full 1920X1080 picture. Resolution shows in setup screens as 1280Xsomething.. If I goto "original size" using the remote it fills the screen and I suspect goes off the edges. Stuttering still there when I do this. There's a scene in Iron Man where they pan over a workbench in the cave and it's REAL obvious <sigh> No bobbing on the screen though which is nice! Not sure what to think, will test with LiveCD a bit longer I think... Anyone else playing with this that sees stuttering?
BLKMGK Wrote:Anyone else playing with this that sees stuttering?

What do you mean? The whole topic is about that!?

Anyway, this stuttering drives me crazy.
I wasn't able to setup my system for stutterless playing on linux or live.

I was only able to see scenes with horizontal pans without stutter on Windows, when I set my screen refresh rate to 24hz (haven't fgured out how to do on Linux). In this case there were no stutters, but screen was flickering like hell, and XBMC interface navigation was laggy and slow.

So there is no solution for me, yet. No
Haven't tried it, but bottom line is to choose between tearing and stuttering. Weird that it's only us that gets the problem. Maybe someone just ignores it.. Smile
[Ad0];232817 Wrote:Haven't tried it, but bottom line is to choose between tearing and stuttering. Weird that it's only us that gets the problem. Maybe someone just ignores it.. Smile

Yeah, that's why I asked. If everyone saw it then people would be going nutz but it seems like only a few people see anything objectionable. I KNOW there was a time when I didn't see this but now that I've noticed it and looked for it I go crazy when I see it. What bugs me most is that the stats never show anything wrong - no dropped frames or maxxed out CPU. Makes me wonder if somehow it's not XBMC but I've not applied any patches in months to my OS nor added any packages other than those that XBMC requires. I may back my existing system up in a few days and try updating the video driver or something - maybe see if I can squeeze a few more MHZ out of my CPU... <shrug>Huh
More people with same issues:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38760
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37546
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=232984
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38530

Seems to be happening on windows too.
Triplebuffer + vsync fixed the tearing/stuttering issue for me for most vids ... except the really heavy 1080ps
kinghuzi Wrote:Triplebuffer + vsync fixed the tearing/stuttering issue for me for most vids ... except the really heavy 1080ps

Cool! do you use nvidia?

Can you post all the xorg and nvidia settings please?
Vsync fixes the tearing for me no problem, it just means I get to watch stuttering on horizontal pans then. On my normal boot and not using the LiveCD I do not get tearing ever and am pretty sure Vsynch is off in XBMC but am now wondering if it's ON in the NVIDIA settings. I may reboot today and check that out. Before going too crazy though I'm doing a backup!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Periodic jerkyness1