• 5(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO easily get MCE Remote working flawlessly in XBMC with EventGhost
F3d0r Wrote:Yes, have a look at the supported IR-Receiver list.

After you have loaded the MCE and the XBMC plugin simply press a button on your remote.
After this, drag and drop the resulting event from the log window of EG to the corresponding XBMC macro on the right.

A tutorial with some more info on EG is available on the following page:
Controlling Your Living Room with EventGhost

Hi,

pls forgive my ignorance. i'm just learning as day 1Big Grin i've been searching in the forum for this and not avle to locate it.
i have a couple of questions -
1. after completing the drag and drop the log - what will be the file name i should save the xml file?
2. after saving the xml file where should i place it?

many thanks for your help.

regards,
sailashio.
Name it whatever you want and in whatever directory you'd like. EventGhost will automatically open the last used configuration file.

Cheers!
any chance getting eg to just redirect the buttons to irss keymap

I realy miss the contextual keysmaps and the ability to change them
Hey guys, I've got this kind of working..

I switched from Mediaportal to XBMC but for whatever reason the interface is super sluggish with the MCE buttons. I've got the microsoft remote keyboard for MCE which has the MCE buttons. Using the arrow keys is really fast, but using the remote (A Harmony Xbox 360 version) or using the MCE keys on the keyboard half the time the commands don't respond. I can see them getting sent from the remote as the IR receiver will blink but nothing happens on the PC, I have to push the buttons a bunch of times before I get the sound that it got sent to XBMC.

And now all of a sudden XBMC won't work with MCE commands. I execute the command from EventGhost and if I execute the XBMC command it works, but if I execute the MCE IR command nothing happens, it was working just a couple of days ago. I'm stumped and this is the one thing that's killing XBMC for me...

I'm running Windows XP MCE Service Pack 2 and the newest version of XBMC and EventGhost 0.3.6.1483.
What version is the latest (or that I should be using?)
I'm thinking of getting the Philips SRM-5100 to use with XBMC on windows instead of the Microsoft MCE remote. Could anyone confirm that it works fine using the method described in this thread. Just want to check before I splash the cash.

Thanks.
I got my MCE remote (the one with the colored buttons at the bottom) working with XBMC and it works great. I have two issues:
  • Holding down a button doesn't make it repeat. lowering the repeat rate doesn't fix this, it just creates a double press when push the button once. the magic number is 0.15, anything below it results in a double press. Would like to have this for scrolling.
  • There's no key in the plugin for the backspace key. I don't know what that key is, but it's not previous. Rather annoying when I'm 3 levels down in videos and want to back out by one and have to either scroll to the top, or go all the way back to the root menu then go back in.
Ashex Wrote:
  • There's no key in the plugin for the backspace key. I don't know what that key is, but it's not previous. Rather annoying when I'm 3 levels down in videos and want to back out by one and have to either scroll to the top, or go all the way back to the root menu then go back in.

I have that same issue too....
Ashex Wrote:I got my MCE remote (the one with the colored buttons at the bottom) working with XBMC and it works great. I have two issues:
  • Holding down a button doesn't make it repeat. lowering the repeat rate doesn't fix this, it just creates a double press when push the button once. the magic number is 0.15, anything below it results in a double press. Would like to have this for scrolling.

I'm not sure if there's another way, but I got around both these issues by mapping the remote to keyboard actions, rather than the XBMC plugin.

For example, for up, down, left, right I disabled the mappings within the Eventghost XBMC plugin and mapped the remote inputs to the up, down, left, right keyboard keys. Similarly for the backspace key, I just added a backspace key command under "keyboard" and mapped the relevant button on my remote to that.
Vista Home Premium, Core2Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M GT, 2GB RAM
calvinf Wrote:I'm not sure if there's another way, but I got around both these issues by mapping the remote to keyboard actions, rather than the XBMC plugin.

For example, for up, down, left, right I disabled the mappings within the Eventghost XBMC plugin and mapped the remote inputs to the up, down, left, right keyboard keys. Similarly for the backspace key, I just added a backspace key command under "keyboard" and mapped the relevant button on my remote to that.

How did you do that? I just tried to set it up and EventGhost only has a plugin for the keyboard that allows me to assign keys to the XBMC plugin.
From memory, in Eventghost at the top of the screen (right hand side) there's a list of plugins that get loaded upon start...here you should already have the keyboard plugin and you can right click, add XBMC as an additional plugin.

Further down - on the same side of the screen - should now be some other folders, two of which are keyboard and XBMC. Expand the entries under XBMC and ensure that up, down, left and right mappings are disabled. Expand the entries for the keyboard and map the direction buttons on the remote to the keyboard arrows.

If you're still struggling, do a screen grab of your EventGhost and post a link here...
calvinf Wrote:From memory, in Eventghost at the top of the screen (right hand side) there's a list of plugins that get loaded upon start...here you should already have the keyboard plugin and you can right click, add XBMC as an additional plugin.

Further down - on the same side of the screen - should now be some other folders, two of which are keyboard and XBMC. Expand the entries under XBMC and ensure that up, down, left and right mappings are disabled. Expand the entries for the keyboard and map the direction buttons on the remote to the keyboard arrows.

If you're still struggling, do a screen grab of your EventGhost and post a link here...

That's the odd thing, when I add the keyboard plugin, I don't get the folder for keyboard inputs.
Here's what it looks like:

Hmmm, for me there's quite a lot more stuff already there when EventGhost is first installed (zoom player stuff, sample macros etc).

I'd uninstall EventGhost and reinstall the latest version (seems to be v0.3.6.1486) from here:

http://www.eventghost.org/downloads/

On every PC I've installed EventGhost there was definitely a lot more on the right hand side (rather than deleting the stuff I don't want, I leave it there, just right click and "disable"). I've never had to actually add the keyboard plugin, since it was already in there, together with autostart for something like "enable exclusive keyboard" (not entirely sure what that is) and a folder for keyboard action mapping - hopefully you'll find the same on a fresh install.
calvinf Wrote:On every PC I've installed EventGhost there was definitely a lot more on the right hand side (rather than deleting the stuff I don't want, I leave it there, just right click and "disable"). I've never had to actually add the keyboard plugin, since it was already in there, together with autostart for something like "enable exclusive keyboard" (not entirely sure what that is) and a folder for keyboard action mapping - hopefully you'll find the same on a fresh install.

Ah, that's the example.xml you're talking about. I only ever glanced at it once and then created a new one. I opened that up and it had the keyboard actions. After looking at it, there's an action called Emulate Keystrokes. Using that you can control keyboard keys. I set it up and it's working now.
I am having an issue with EventGhost. I think the HID device driver won't stay disabled. Every time I reboot and have EventGhost part of start up it stops detecting IR commands. I usually close it and then run as administrator and it works after that(until reboot). I tried making the shortcut in startup run as administrator, but Vista refuses to run it at startup if it has that option enabled.

Also where in EventGhost can I find Vista Media Center commands, I tried using Windows Media Player but those don't work. (This is so I can switch to VMC to watch Netflix movies through MyNetflix plugin.)

----------------------Keyboard question earlier---------------------
I don't use the Keyboard plugin, you can just add a "Emulate Keystroke" macro instead. I did this to have direction arrows, back, and enter to behave the same everywhere.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO easily get MCE Remote working flawlessly in XBMC with EventGhost1