• 6(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO easily get MCE Remote working flawlessly in XBMC with EventGhost
Hi, I am a newbie on this eventghost stuff and I am hoping that someone can help me.
I am trying to make my Philips SRM 5100 working with XBMC on Vista x64, I heard here on this forum that someone did, I just want to know for sure if were on Vista X64 and how.
I've tried to install the MCE replacement driver for vista but it didnt work for me windows says it's a corrupted driver. Anyone know for sure if it's possible?

Thanks.
Hi everyone,

also new to XBMC and this forum; and posting a question right away.
I'm owning a Windows XP-Professional SP3 machine and a Logitech Harmony 785 Remote.

I've found a shop near here that sells the IR-unit that normaly would come with the MCE-remote.
I've also learned that the Logitech-remote only needs to 'know' that the IR-unit on the PC is a "MCE" and then I can remote-control my pc.

But do the drivers for this unit come from Windows XP?
And is XBMC then the right choice to watch movies that are on my HD, on my LCD-screen?

Hopefuly someone can help me with this little 'project' of mine Nod
With SP3 it should come with it. These are the eHome drivers. They are the ones I use and they work fine. If you have issues connecting it, get them off of microsofts websites.
DannySan Wrote:Hi everyone,

But do the drivers for this unit come from Windows XP?
And is XBMC then the right choice to watch movies that are on my HD, on my LCD-screen?

Hopefuly someone can help me with this little 'project' of mine Nod

Stock MCE remote drivers usually are in XP/Vista. Technically EventGhost disables these to use its own anyway so it doesn't matter much. XBMC is best if you want a whole media center(videos(movies/TV), music, photos, etc.) controlled by just a remote. Don't have to worry about video codecs or anything like that.
Can anyone recommend the best way to get the Windows button to launch XBMC if it's not running already (switch to it if it already running but not active) and do nothing if XBMC is in focus already?
Smirnov Wrote:Can anyone recommend the best way to get the Windows button to launch XBMC if it's not running already (switch to it if it already running but not active) and do nothing if XBMC is in focus already?

You could create several macros and and assign all of them to the Windows button Such as launching XBMC, finding the XBMC window, and bringing it into focus(front). I've had varied success with bringing XBMC into focus though. Sometimes I have to press the button 2-3 times to bring it to front, I might have the wait too high on the find window.
I get constant errors when I load the mce remote plugin:

"The plugin was not able to change the state of the HID service. You must be logged in as an Administrator to change the state."

I think I am logged in as an administrator (at least I think so, new to Vista). I use Vista Home Premium SP1 and EG 0.3.6.1487.

Any advice?
Kyusaku Wrote:I am having an issue with EventGhost. I think the HID device driver won't stay disabled. Every time I reboot and have EventGhost part of start up it stops detecting IR commands. I usually close it and then run as administrator and it works after that(until reboot). I tried making the shortcut in startup run as administrator, but Vista refuses to run it at startup if it has that option enabled.

It's normal because Vista won't let you autostart programs that requires administratives privileges.
However, there's a way to bypass this behavior but you'll have to be in the administrator group. You'll need to launch Eventghost as a task, and it will work.

If you don't know how to do this, follow this and it will work most of the time (sometimes, EG won't react for an unknown reason, but that's pretty rare). Oh, by the way, it has been tested successfully on Vista Ultimate 64 bits edition.

Quote: 1. Click start
2. Type: task scheduler
3. Press enter
4. Click create task in the right
5. Type a name for the task
6. Put a check next to the box that says 'run with highest privileges'
7. Click on the Trigers tab
8. Click New
9. Click on the dropdown next to "Begin the task", select At log on
10. Put a check next to 'specific user or group'
11. Click OK
12. Click the actions tab
13. Click New
14. Click browse
15. Find the program you want to run
16. Click Open
17. Click OK
18. Click OK

I've found this instruction here. They even did a program to do this automatically. However, it doesn't work on my HTPC. By the way, it takes 2 minutes to do this.

DarkHelmet Wrote:I get constant errors when I load the mce remote plugin:

"The plugin was not able to change the state of the HID service. You must be logged in as an Administrator to change the state."

I think I am logged in as an administrator (at least I think so, new to Vista). I use Vista Home Premium SP1 and EG 0.3.6.1487.

Any advice?
In Vista, you aren't really the administrator like in XP. They did like in Mac OS X where you can do most of the administrative tasks, but when it comes to modifying the system, you have to confirm what you wanado (no, not like former french ISP ;-)).
In Vista, there's only the Administrator account that have full rights (like root on Linux or Mac OSX). And by default, it's deactivated (like on Ubuntu or Mac OSX). You can activate it or disable UAC (which is really a pain in the a**) but disabling UAC can have nasty side effects.
Hammerhead Wrote:I
In Vista, you aren't really the administrator like in XP. They did like in Mac OS X where you can do most of the administrative tasks, but when it comes to modifying the system, you have to confirm what you wanado (no, not like former french ISP ;-)).
In Vista, there's only the Administrator account that have full rights (like root on Linux or Mac OSX). And by default, it's deactivated (like on Ubuntu or Mac OSX). You can activate it or disable UAC (which is really a pain in the a**) but disabling UAC can have nasty side effects.

Okay, figured this out eventually and got it to work.
It works "okay" now. However comparing it to the xbox remote for xbmc for the xbox it still lacks some comfort in my opinion. I'll fiddle around with it a litte more. I have buttons for left and right mouse buttons on my remote. Is it possible to map these to actions in xbmc with eventghost? So far EG does not seem to be able to "catch" these.
So, I got it running more or less and it's usable.

However, two things I noticed. The button for OSD works while playing videos, it doesn't while playing music. Strange.

I have three rather central buttons on my remote (left mouse button, right mouse button and "info" (whatever it's supposed to do in MCE, I can't make a difference to the right mouse button)) that I can't use with eventghost.
Is there a way to make a macro to initiate Dual monitor mode. I have my HPTC powering a computer monitor and a TV. Running a 8600gt graphics card with dual DVI.

Each time I used my HTPC I have to open the nvidia control panel and set to dual monitor clone mode. I need a macro function that can work as follows:

For ex: Computer is already turned on and running with computer monitor. I turn on TV and then hit a button on the MCE remote that through an eventghost macro shortcut will turn on Dual Monitor Clone Mode. If there is a way to do this please show me how. Is it save me a lot of trouble of going over and turning on dual monitor mode each time I use my HTPC. Thanks.
I am trying this guide under windows XP SP3. Wanted to know if I still need to intall any MCE remote Drivers. I plugged the IR reciever in the usb port and windows asked for Drivers. Its offered to install PCTV drivers and then said I do not have the software to install the drivers.

Then I installed Eventghost and added the XBMC plugin...the remote does not work at all under XBMC. My Eventghost says no X10 generic remote found.

Can someone please assist If I need to do anything else. Any other drivers that I need to install to get the remote working.

I have the folllowing MCE Remote. LINK

I downloaded the drivers from here and still get the same error when trying to install it.

"The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software." I am runnning windows media player 11 with latest Direct X 9.xx and Windows XP Pro SP3
What does this (from first post) mean exactly?

« Connect the XBMC actions with the events from your MCE remote »
havel Wrote:What does this (from first post) mean exactly?

« Connect the XBMC actions with the events from your MCE remote »
I hope to be able to work at the tutorial in the wiki this weekend. It'll explain.
But in the mean time...

It means that you need to drag an event from the Event Log on the left-hand side of EventGhost to an "Action" in the right-hand side of EventGhost.

An event can be almost anything that you've input into your computer (IR signal, keypress, window activation, etc.) You might first need to add a plugin to be able to see some of these "events" get triggered in EventGhost. For example, you'd need to add the USB-UIRT plugin to see input from USB-UIRT (an IR transciever) appear in the Event Log.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO easily get MCE Remote working flawlessly in XBMC with EventGhost1