• 5(current)
IR / RF Remote Controls for Windows: Links to Explanations, Tutorials, and Guides
Thumbs Up 
ArturDent Wrote:TO ADMIN:
New Tutorial: MCE Remote control on Win XP - The fastest way (All in One)

1. Download http://econs.rousse.spnet.net/Download/X...Remote.zip
2. UnZip Contents
3. Install EventGhost_0.3.7.r851_Setup.exe
4. Run “XBMC Remote.exe”, this will automatically start EventGhost
5. Load in EventGhost “XBMC_OK.xml”. File->Open…
6. Minimize EventGhost and XBMC Remote.
Done!

X. Be sure: XBMC Event Server is running. Home->Settings->Network->Event Server->Enable event server.

P.S. If you want be free to change source or/and XBMC_OK.xml
P.S.S. You can see keyboard events in XBMC Remote and TriggerEvent in EventGhost.
The captured keys (numpad1, numpad2..,Return, Escape….) will NOT work in keyboard. To enable keys again, please pause or close “XBMC Remote”.

08 April 2009, ArturDent
[email protected]

I also have the hama remote and couldn't get it to work with XMBC until now. This works beautifully, thank you! :-)
Hi love xbmc, have it on my xbox. Now I have it on an older laptop running in my living room, running XP PRO (NO MCE). I have read through all these threads but have not found any clarification on this. If I get the Windows MCE remote, do I need the MCE software? I am just trying to find the best way to get the remote control solution. After reading all the docs it looks like I can not use the built in laptop IR receiver.

it looks like I could also go with the xbox1 remote with the xbox to pc usb adapter.

Thoughts, please help before I purchase the wrong thing on ebay

thanks

rob
I purchased this MCE remote from newegg and it works well with MCE in xp, vista, and windows 7.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880121003

One issue I was having was that with the default windows driver the remote functions like up,down,left, right, volume , work all the time. Disabling hid in event ghost did not prevent it.

One quick solution I found was to go into device manager, under keyboards, uninstall the ehome keyboard items. The remote will now only work inside of an application like xbmc.

Each time you reboot the pc it will reinstall them unless you do what I did and modify the inf file for the remote receiver.

The file name is :hidir.inf

Remove the sections that begin with \ ; Keyboard
It now shows as unkown device under HID devices, but still works with eventghost and XBMC. I can even use the green button to launch XBMC without media center popping up.
So unless I preset a button in eventghost , the buttons do nothing. Which is how I wanted it.

It is also much snappier, all the buttons repeat fast or slow depending on how I want them set. In eventghost I set the button delay to .10 for the mce plugin.
Then for each command I added the lines Wait: .2 Sec or whatever you want between key repeats, followed by Clear Pending Events.
So I can have something like play repeat really slow, but volume just hold it down and it increases fast.
petermarshall15 Wrote:The only way to get xbmc to be responsive to remote commands when cycling through menu's is to use the Microsoft MCE remote and the Microsoft Drivers. By default the microsoft driver maps the up,down,left,right, buttons which are sluggish with other methods (this is a problem with the way eventghost, IRbox ect work.). I personally then map the other buttons like play and stop etc.. using eventghost - these buttons do not need to be held down to scroll through menus and work fine when mapped.

It is down to the fact that the remote sends three kinds of ir code to windows depending on how long you press the button down.
short press - one movement down
Medium press - constant movement down the list
Long press - fast movement down the list

This is then interpreted by the microsoft MCE driver as if you were holding down the arrow keys on your keyboard. The Microsoft driver seems to do this with much more intelligence than is possible with programs like eventghost.

So in effect, you have two systems in place:
- Microsoft MCE remote driver handling the arrow keys like a keyboard would on xbmc.
- Eventghost mapping the rest of the buttons (play, stop etc...) to xbmc using the event server.

I have uninstalled eventghost, because of the reason that you state here.

But what you are saying is that you can use the Microsoft driver next to the Eventghost software?

*bump* anybody?
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
i am using the original xbox remote with IRXBOX and work ok,but i am not able to assign functions to the remote buttons like in the original xbox.
for example i would like the SELECT button to change the resolution of the video wile in full screen like on the xbox,and to have MENU opening the OSD ,and TITLE to give the codec informations.
i tried looking at the keymap file on xbmc folder and seems to be ok but still this functions dont work.
Plus would be possible to use the remote to insert data like password or username with the softkeyboard like in the xbox?
CAN YOU HELP??
i am running the XBMC Babylon 9.04.1-repack2.
Has anyone figured out the solution to the vista remote controller and XBMC? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
jochenz

quote:
"I have uninstalled eventghost, because of the reason that you state here.
But what you are saying is that you can use the Microsoft driver next to the Eventghost software?"

Yes, so from a clean windows xp and xbmc you would do the following:
- Plug in the official microsoft mce remote usb reciever
- it will autoinstall drivers included with windows xp (arrow buttons now work in xbmc)
- install eventghost and add the mce remote to it so it listens for commands from the remote
- don't click 'disable HID' (leave it on instead)
- Now assign the rest of the buttons like play, stop etc.... using eventghost,

This method works in vista also.
how do you block the green mce button when you do not disable HID?

/needtotest
For Harmony users, check this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54466

Solved my problems Cool
needtotest Wrote:how do you block the green mce button when you do not disable HID?

/needtotest

If you are running vista or windows 7 go to control panel and look under keyboards . Remove any IR devices from there. Then look under HID for ehome receiver. Disable it. You have to remove the keyboards that depend on the receiver before it will let you disable the driver.

The remote will now work only with programs like event ghost. Doesn't matter if HID is enabled or not. You can even use the green button now .

Works because the driver that event ghost actually reads is the one under USB controllers in device manager. As long as that driver is running is all that matters.
hey all... I have windows media centre installed with a cheap Hauppage Nova-T USB stick (DVBT). I can view TV in MCE and control the MCE interface with the tiny slim remote. Would this mean there could be a way of using the same remote to control XBMC. If can anyone give me a rough idea about what script or plugins I should run.

cheers,
kronos
Why did the MS RC6 remote stop working out of the box in Windows?

and is there any chance it will be supported again in XBMC4Windows?
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
jochenz Wrote:Why did the MS RC6 remote stop working out of the box in Windows?

and is there any chance it will be supported again in XBMC4Windows?

What? I'm confused by this question. Are you asking why it stopped working out of the box for XBMC? And, if so, did it work out of the box at some point in the past that I am no aware of? Or are you asking some other question?
natethomas Wrote:What? I'm confused by this question. Are you asking why it stopped working out of the box for XBMC? And, if so, did it work out of the box at some point in the past that I am no aware of? Or are you asking some other question?

well...i'd have to see if I can find the version that did, but I am pretty sure that under Windows XP SP2 or XP MCE it did work completely out of the box with XBMC for me.

at some point during the development, some buttons buttons stopt working. And now you have to go through software installation and configuration, which on its own will effect the remote working correctly for MCE itself.

Hope this helps...

funny thing is...it "is" working out of the box with BOXEE, which is powered by XBMC on the same machine at my place. go figure?

I'm extremely confused on how to get things working properly. My setup is as follows:

HTPC: Antec Fusion Remote (with iMon LCD)
Remote: Logitech Harmony One

I can't for the life of me understand how to configure the buttons on the remote to function within Windows and XBMC. I want the touch buttons to work as well as the other buttons (such as the "E" button and the "+" button). I wish the "displayremotecodes" command worked on Windows. I have the iMon software (have also installed eventghost, but not really sure on how to use it yet) but the main problem is that I don't have any idea what buttons I should use for the commands. If I use the preset for the remote that came with my HTPC chassi or if I change the preset to MCE I still don't know what the buttons on that remote correspond to on my harmony one remote. If anyone feels like helping me to get some clarity on this stuff it would be greatly appreciated Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR / RF Remote Controls for Windows: Links to Explanations, Tutorials, and Guides7