• 3(current)
IR / RF Remote Controls for Windows: Links to Explanations, Tutorials, and Guides
Quote: Originally Posted by Riderzzz View Post
hej xbmc users,

i bought a sony vaio computer where the infrared-receiver is build in. Now i also got an remote control with the device. This remote control from sony (special for wmc) is called rm-mce20e.

Now i cant find any working tutorial for this one. Is it possible to get this one to work with xbmc?

Mike

I just wanna let you know that i got it working now.
Was testing all sort of things with eventghost and ir server suite.
Eventghost had a better interface but didnt wanna reconize my internal ir receiver(ir server suite did).
finnaly i gave up and just fr 1 last change i installed ir server suite Test Build 1.4.2.2627 and its working now on my sony-pc-remote (no extra changes in settings needed).

I also got it to work with a general sony remote from my tv with the translater.

The only problem i still encouter is that i have to restart the service sometimes to get "input service" to work again.
Hi All!
Here's my question, may be it's covered by another thread, but I haven't fount out where.
I've got case (Antec Fusion Black) with built in Imon display + IR receiver and Imon remote supplied. Also I have Universal Remote Control MX-900 remote, which is fully customizeable and learnable. URC has a huge database of IR commands, also for XBOX, MCE, and IMON.

I built HTPC in this case on ASUS motherboard, WD Green HDD, Blueray drive from NEC-Optiarc, but I think full hardware configuration not really matter in my case.

Problem is - how get control of XBMC via IMON built-in receiver and URC remote? Is there any drivers (may be from third party developers) that convert IR receiver in IMON display into common IR receiver? (my URC remote can learn and flash ANY IR command).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Final point of my reseach is an complete integration of HTPC into my home cinema system, controlled by URC IR+RF remote in separate closure (not near my TV), with Denon AV-receiver, Denon DVD, and so on.
The first post, which I know is not a great FAQ (this needs to be fixed), has a few links to what you want...

Specifically look at using either IRSS or EG (I prefer EG)...

# EventGhost EventClient for XBMC

# Tutorial: Get XBMC for Windows to work with a remote control via IR Server Suite
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Oooooooookay, some beer and 2 hours of googling gave me some sort of reavelation. So, actually, iMON can easily simulate keypad buttons, and assign this type of actions on IR button press. For example - large + and - on keyboard will increase and decrease volume. These actions could be easily programmed to iMON remote using iMON manager. TAB will switch content from full screen to windowed mode and back. Cursor and enter keys + right mouse button give us navigation through xbmc menu. But. What keyboard buttons (normal 102-keys) are responsible for play/pause (space work in full screen but not in windowed), stop, level up, main menu and so on? Does anybody knows?
I'd like to add my experiences on getting the Cyberlink cheap remote (£5.99 Play.com) set up for use with XBMC using EventGhost.

Initially I found the idea of Eventghost quite confusing but after installing and playing with it it's very simple and I'm now using it for various other things on my HTPC.

I used this site for the basics and added 3 Mouse HID device plugins in XBMC giving them separate prefixes of 1, 2 and 3. 1 of these can be ommited if you don't need to detect the power button although worth adding at the start (can be removed later). You'll also notice that some keys eg up, down, left, right are already detected as keyboard commands and will work "out of the box" in XBMC.

It's now worth going through every button on the remote and seeing what event it triggers in Eventghost so you'll have a nice list on the left which can be dragged to wherever you like when creating actions. I jotted down the corresponding event on the chart from the site above.

Initially I used the XBMC plugin to create events in XBMC however this seemed to remove the nice click sounds associated with remote presses and be slightly erratic (although some of the extra functionality is handy). I then grabbed the key list for XBMC and added those that I required to my chart mapping a remote button to a keyboard command - simple.

In Eventghost it was then just a matter of adding a macro to catch a remote keypress (drag the event across from the left) and emulating a keystroke eg the Play button on the remote is detected as "2.Button.1" which should emulate a "p" key for use in XBMC. This was repeated for each button that wasn't seen as a keypress - only 12 buttons for my setup. I made a folder called "Remote" in the "Context Folder" to house all this to keep it neat. The XML export is below

Quote:<Folder Name="Remote" Expanded="True">
<Macro Name="Play">
<Event Name="2.Button.1" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'p', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Pause">
<Event Name="2.Button.0" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'{Space}', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Stop">
<Event Name="Keyboard.MediaStop" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'x', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Fast Forward">
<Event Name="2.Button.4" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'f', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Rewind">
<Event Name="2.Button.5" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'r', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Previous Menu">
<Event Name="2.Button.13" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'{Escape}', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Context Menu">
<Event Name="3.Button.5" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'{Apps}', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Info">
<Event Name="2.Button.6" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'i', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Aspect Ratio">
<Event Name="3.Button.7" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'z', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Parent Dir">
<Event Name="3.Button.1" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'{Backspace}', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Show Subtitles" Enabled="False">
<Event Name="3.Button.4" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u's', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Page Up">
<Event Name="2.Button.15" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'{PageUp}', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
<Macro Name="Page Down">
<Event Name="2.Button.14" />
<Action>
Window.SendKeys(u'{PageDown}', False)
</Action>
</Macro>
</Folder>
That's pretty much it. I only have a basic setup currently matching my old XBOX version and £5.99 was a good price for the remote and USB receiver. I've learnt the remote commands on my multi-remote so the original can now sit in a drawer. I'm also using Eventghost to start/stop things on the HTPC when I remote desktop to it and to monitor folders for new downloads - so it's a very worthy addition to any HTPC for the remote and other applications.

Hope this helps someone get into EventGhost which can seem quite daunting at first and utilise cheap remote hardware.
I have managed to somehow get the latest build to work with the original xbox remote. Using IRBox to handle the remote, using some generic USB to Xbox adaptor, which installs fine. I have disabled the dummy entry in Unknown USB Device (Was told it may increase response time).

Result. Everything works fine. Response time is, by far, much slower than it is on my original Xbox. I am using a normal Xbox remote & a Universal (RCA - DVR option), both scroll through at a snails pace. I have to hit the buttons repeatedly to load videos sometimes. This is with fresh batteries pointed right at the sensor.

Using this to connect my Xbox IR Receiver.

http://www.videogameaction.com/nxxb-010.html

Should I buy a different adapter?
The only way to get xbmc to be responsive to remote commands when cycling through menu's is to use the Microsoft MCE remote and the Microsoft Drivers. By default the microsoft driver maps the up,down,left,right, buttons which are sluggish with other methods (this is a problem with the way eventghost, IRbox ect work.). I personally then map the other buttons like play and stop etc.. using eventghost - these buttons do not need to be held down to scroll through menus and work fine when mapped.

It is down to the fact that the remote sends three kinds of ir code to windows depending on how long you press the button down.
short press - one movement down
Medium press - constant movement down the list
Long press - fast movement down the list

This is then interpreted by the microsoft MCE driver as if you were holding down the arrow keys on your keyboard. The Microsoft driver seems to do this with much more intelligence than is possible with programs like eventghost.

So in effect, you have two systems in place:
- Microsoft MCE remote driver handling the arrow keys like a keyboard would on xbmc.
- Eventghost mapping the rest of the buttons (play, stop etc...) to xbmc using the event server.
Question 
Did any one tried the remote from Cyberlink yet?
err,

seems steford posted about his experiences with the cyberlink remote like 3 x posts earlier i think.

might be helpful to you.

Dam0
Thought I'd add some info for the Speedlink SL-6399 MCE clone. Being in a cheap mood I ordered it before I'd read about it's rather unconventional approach and saw some people having a lot of difficulty getting it to work in XBMC.

I actually need not have worried as it was fairly straightforward using Eventghost. This is how I got it working (Vista 32-Bit):

A. Plug it in no need for drivers
B. Download and install Eventghost 0.3.7.r851 (or later) from here.
C. Load Eventghost and install 3 plugins:

1. A keyboard plugin
2. A Generic HID plugin - from the list of choices there are 4 entries called HID Holtek: YaoCoo, for me it was the second one down I needed to install. It might be different for you so if it doesn't work check the plugins one at a time and see if the volume + and - keys register in the log down the left. If they do that's the plugin you need to keep.
3. XBMC program plug in

D. Important - the 'Msn' button seems to act as a toggle allowing the directional keys to act as either the arrow keys or to move the mouse cursor. We need the remote to be in arrow key mode (it stops some other buttons working in mouse mode) so test the directional buttons. If "Keyboard.Left" for example appears in the log as you press left you're in the right mode, if the mouse moves press 'Msn' and then check again until it registers as a keyboard arrow press.

E. Start programming in key presses:

Some keys work as HID keypresses (Volume, Mute) so there is no problem. For example "Volume +" shows in the log as "HID.Button.233", simply find the macro for "Volume Up" in the right hand pane within the XBMC folder and drag "HID.Button.233" from the log into the macro.

Other keys you don't need to program at all (and indeed shouldn't be for best performance). For instance the directional keys, the OK key and the 'back' key all work as intended in XBMC 'out of the box' as does the PC power key (closes XBMC).

Most of the keys however will involve the slightly more difficult task of picking the most unique key combination that registers when you press a button. For example:

The ''Stop" button when pressed and released will actually come up with 5 entries in the log:
[indent]Keyboard.LCtrl
Keyboard.LShift + LCtrl
Keyboard.LShift + LCtrl + S
Keyboard.LShift + S
Keyboard.S

This is the same for most other buttons. If (like me) you keep Eventghost open all the time' what you want to do is pick the least obvious of the entries that come up for each button. Once an action is applied to something in Eventghost it cannot be used in other windows programs (So choosing Keyboard.S in the example above would be a bad idea). The best would be "Keyboard.LShift + LCtrl + S" as that doesn't match any shortcuts commonly used in other programs. Of course, if you want you can simply choose any of them and only launch Eventghost when you use XBMC. You can set a macro to launch XBMC when Eventghost starts.[/indent]

As before drag over one of the keyboard actions a keypress creates to the macro you wish the key to preform.

It's really up to you with some of the keys as to what/if you assign them to actions. Personally I assigned the more essential keys (play, stop, FF etc), 'Aspect' as the Previous Menu action (so it's close to the 'back' key), 'more' key to show info and the coloured keys for movies, TV, Music etc. Over time I've assigned some of the more random keys (circular coloured keys at the very bottom of the remote) to tasks like aspect ratio, OSD, context menu. Just don't use the Msn button for anything and make sure it's toggled into keyboard mode!

Once you're done, save your profile and load up XBMC (obviously with Eventghost open!) to check everything works.
TO ADMIN:
New Tutorial: MCE Remote control on Win XP - The fastest way (All in One)

1. Download http://econs.rousse.spnet.net/Download/X...Remote.zip
2. UnZip Contents
3. Install EventGhost_0.3.7.r851_Setup.exe
4. Run “XBMC Remote.exe”, this will automatically start EventGhost
5. Load in EventGhost “XBMC_OK.xml”. File->Open…
6. Minimize EventGhost and XBMC Remote.
Done!

X. Be sure: XBMC Event Server is running. Home->Settings->Network->Event Server->Enable event server.

P.S. If you want be free to change source or/and XBMC_OK.xml
P.S.S. You can see keyboard events in XBMC Remote and TriggerEvent in EventGhost.
The captured keys (numpad1, numpad2..,Return, Escape….) will NOT work in keyboard. To enable keys again, please pause or close “XBMC Remote”.

08 April 2009, ArturDent
[email protected]
ArturDent Wrote:TO ADMIN:
New Tutorial: MCE Remote control on Win XP - The fastest way (All in One)

1. Download http://econs.rousse.spnet.net/Download/X...Remote.zip
2. UnZip Contents
3. Install EventGhost_0.3.7.r851_Setup.exe
4. Run “XBMC Remote.exe”, this will automatically start EventGhost
5. Load in EventGhost “XBMC_OK.xml”. File->Open…
6. Minimize EventGhost and XBMC Remote.
Done!

X. Be sure: XBMC Event Server is running. Home->Settings->Network->Event Server->Enable event server.
[email protected]
I just tried these steps and it bombs on running XBMC Remote.exe. "The application failed to initialize properly". I am running XP/SP3 with the MCE remote. After you install EventGhost is there anything you must configure before step 2?
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
gquiring Wrote:I just tried these steps and it bombs on running XBMC Remote.exe. "The application failed to initialize properly". I am running XP/SP3 with the MCE remote. After you install EventGhost is there anything you must configure before step 2?

"2. UnZip Contents" - Did you have in directory "XBMC Remote.exe" AND "Gma.UserActivityMonitor.dll" or you run application from the Zip?

After you install EventGhost is there anything you must configure before step 2?
NO

Did you have .Net Framework installed?

Try:
1. Stop XBMC Remote.exe and EventGhost.
2. Open Notepad or MS Word.
3. press number keys on MCE remote - you must see chars in Notepad/Word

Try to stop All other applications for MCE remote;
Half the buttons don't work with XBMC..

The play/pause, fastforward, backward etc (basically the top half of the MCE Remote) doesn't work.

Someone has solved this before but doesn't explain how. Please help. I've been asking about this for two days and nobody is replying.
slekkas Try my solution HERE
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR / RF Remote Controls for Windows: Links to Explanations, Tutorials, and Guides7