Problems with SMB shares
I recently installed XBMC beta 2 on a XP Home machine. One of the problems I am having is that I can add smb shares from all of the servers and PCs on my network. The video files in those shares are accessable from XBMC on my PC but only the shares associated with the PC that has XBMC running show up on my media player. Any suggestions?
direstrates :)
dont realy understand your problem but the best way is just to manualy type in the ip and folder name to the share you want to acces under add source

for example \\192.168.1.1\Movies

then name the share what ever you want cant go wrong if you do it that way
TrocaNiklas Wrote:then name the share what ever you want cant go wrong if you do it that way
Unless you're using DHCP and the addresses roll...

I'd only suggest that method if you've setup the specific host for static IP and removed said IP from the available DHCP pool.
TrocaNiklas Wrote:dont realy understand your problem but the best way is just to manualy type in the ip and folder name to the share you want to acces under add source

for example \\192.168.1.1\Movies

then name the share what ever you want cant go wrong if you do it that way
I will give that try. Thanks
With beta 2 smb sharing doesn't work at all for me even putting ip manually...
Luzpo Wrote:With beta 2 smb sharing doesn't work at all for me even putting ip manually...
Manual ip did not help me either....in fact it would not accept a manual ip.

smb://Linspire/DOC1 - accepts this but does not work

smb://192.168.0.9/Linspire/DOC1 - does not accept this

//192.168.0.9/Linspire/DOC1 - does not accept this

So that this tid bit does not get lost; smb to HDDs connected directly to the PC with XBMC running do work both in XBMC on the PC and on my network media player.
The smb client will be revised after Atlantis and most probably replaced by windows native functions.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
direstrates Wrote:Manual ip did not help me either....in fact it would not accept a manual ip.

smb://Linspire/DOC1 - accepts this but does not work

smb://192.168.0.9/Linspire/DOC1 - does not accept this

//192.168.0.9/Linspire/DOC1 - does not accept this

So that this tid bit does not get lost; smb to HDDs connected directly to the PC with XBMC running do work both in XBMC on the PC and on my network media player.

Assuming IP address 192.168.0.9 maps to PC Linspire then the line you want should be -
smb://192.168.0.9/DOC1

However I have found that the best option is to map a network drive to the share and use that drive in XBMC. I have done that for three different shares and all seem to be working fine. Before that I used the XBMC function to map to the network drive and after a few minutes of playback the video would drop and I'd be at the menu again.

Hope this helps.
iam using ip and i have no problems at all. i just have my ip and no map

this is my exact config smb://192.168.1.1/
TrocaNiklas, acetuk,

I tried; smb://192.168.0.9 and smb://192.168.0.9/DOC1 but neither worked. Thank you for the suggestions!
check your Windows firewall settings. You should allow the XBMC application to open network connections.

Best regards
yeah if your unsure just disabel your firewall temporarly on both pcs. the one running xbmc and the one sharing folder if that solves the problem then its the firewall
TrocaNiklas, trixpan,

None of my PCs have the firewall enabled. I have several types of network media players, no 360's though. My CS615 uses SMB and I have full access to all of my network shares when using the native smb capability of the CS615. Meaning that I can play all of my video files via smb using the cs615 provided I do not do it using XBMC.

When using XBMC UPnP I have full smb access to all of my network shares when in XBMC as it runs on the PC. The problem is when I try to access my network shares from my cs615 or my MediaSmart Connect through XBMC. The only shares that I can access are the ones directly attached to the PC running XBMC.

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated and I will continue to try stuff on my end and try your suggestions.....as long as they do not require blood sacrifices or howling at the moon ect.Smile

IMO smb in general IS not working in the windows version of XBMC but it does work for a few folks for un-known reasons. I saw this same behavior when I first got my cs615. When the firmware was fixed then smb worked for everyone.
Any word on when smb in the windows version of XBMC will be fixed?
Several times.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=236...stcount=15
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with SMB shares1