I followed your guide, but had problems installing the nvidia drivers using
Code:
envyng -t
on 2.6.24-22-generic because gcc wasn't installed. A quick:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
fixed it.
Question 
Ok so, I followed the guide and I can't start XBMC. This is the error msg I'm getting.

Code:
Failed to open connection to session message bus: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session
Cannot get root display. Is X11 running and is your DISPLAY variable set?

If anyone can lend me a hand I'd greatly appreciate it.
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
I got it to work! I don't know exactly what I did but I retraced my steps and somehow got it to work. I suppose it serves me right working on it at 3 in the morning. Now all I need to do is fine tune it to what I need.
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
I got this working but don't have any extra skins.
I tried this minimal install but xbmc core dumps:

#0 0xb80db430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0xb75aa8a0 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2 0xb75ac268 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#3 0x082a53aa in CApplication::FatalErrorHandler (this=0x8a7dc60, InitD3D=true, MapDrives=true, InitNetwork=true) at Application.cpp:462
#4 0x082b7fc9 in CApplication::Create (this=0x8a7dc60, hWnd=0x0) at Application.cpp:768
#5 0x0852f333 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbffddc24) at XboxMediaCenter.cpp:103

That problem area points to the LoadSettings method, I wonder what I have wrong with the settings. This is clean install of the Atlantis release.

I was able to run Boxee from .xsession though.
Thumbs Up 
Please update the guide with following package name, ppa is missing.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-hardy/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-hardy/ppa/ubuntu hardy main

Excellent Guide !
Main guide is completely updated. The instructions for Intrepid are very similar to the ones for Hardy, so I've only added a few changes.

Can a mod please change the main title to the one I've set for the first thread. Thanks.
gyrene2083 Wrote:Ok so, I followed the guide and I can't start XBMC. This is the error msg I'm getting.

Code:
Failed to open connection to session message bus: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session

Im getting the exact same error, re-traced my steps and still no joy
try this:
taken from: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=175153&postcount=5

remove/rename your .xsession file.

copy /etc/X11/Xsession to somewhere as a backup.

edit: /etc/X11/Xsession

at the top, add:
exec /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin -q
that error message appears when you type startx (or try to reboot the computer)?

Also, what video card are you using.
gyrene2083 Wrote:Ok so, I followed the guide and I can't start XBMC. This is the error msg I'm getting.

Code:

I get the same problem.

Tried your Xsessionfix and still got the same thing.

Using a Video EVGA 9500GT NVidia card. I can get XBMC working with Live as well as the Intrepid mini install (but with the intrepid problems) really would like to get Hardy working though.
try booting up, letting x fail, and then type in
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.0

then type "startx" and see if xbmc will start.

if you google this problem, it seems to be very XBMC oriented. I'm not sure what causes it as these instructions have always worked for me.
Sadly EnvyNG appears to not be updated. The Author's WEBsite refers to the repo for the latest version, the Repo version wants to install old code, and in the end the problem I used EnvyNG to fix - old drivers - is now as much an issue with Envy as it was with the repos not being up to date! On the plus side NVIDIA seems to have gotten their driver install working better. While it still stinks to have to kill X and jump through hoops it doesn't appear to be as bad as it was the first time I tried it - I now use the NVIDIA installer and don't point anyone at Envy Sad A bummer but not much you can do, Envy was probably a bear to maintain and NVIDIA seems to have stepped up <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Glad you guys figured it out.
I suppose it wouldn't do much harm to just add in that installing ATI drivers is pretty much exactly the same. Find the link, replace it for the nvidia link and off you go.

Just used this guide to finally get XBMC working nicely on my Intel/ATI based system. LiveCD never worked and I didn't want a full fat installation of ubuntu.

Great guide. Shame vi is a pain in the arse to use when you've never used it before. It involved a lot of key bashing but I got there in the end.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal Ubuntu Jaunty install with XBMC6