Nvidia Driver Crash
Hi all,

Looking for a minimal install on a dedicated HTPC, I found this excellent guide and followed it step by step: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38804 Briefly, it uses the text installer to set up a minimalistic environment, then just adds X on top of it and runs XBMC as a standalone application (no Gnome, no window manager etc.).

However, I cannot make X work. With the "nvidia" driver is specified in xorg.conf, when I do a "startx", the driver crashes with a message in /var/log/dmesg saying "BUG unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at address...". Googling around showed similar problems with different 2.6 kernel versions and nvidia, but no solution was proposed.

I tried several versions of xorg.conf (together with the one nvidia-xconfig creates), nothing helps. The system is upgraded to latest versions of all packages.

The strangest thing of all is that same machine runs XBMC fine if I install Ubuntu with Gnome and nvidia drivers, so it's not a hardware issue. It also runs several other distros fine with the proprietary nvidia driver.

Did anybody have any similar issue? Any suggestions how to troubleshoot further?

WWell,

---

Edit: Problem solved by using "apt-get install nvidia-glx-new" (didn't know there are different nvidia packages in Ubuntu. Thanks to the BinaryDriverHowtoNvidia!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Driver Crash0